Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cracks and pops all over R1 tape...wtf????  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Cracks and pops all over R1 tape...wtf????
« on: July 27, 2006, 12:08:19 AM »
So I taped Dillinger Escape Plan the other night and the tape sounds like it's full of cracks and pops during the louder parts of the songs.  The levels were fine and nothing was overing so I don't know wtf may have caused this.  All that I can think of is that I possibly plugged into the Mic In jack accidentally.  Would this sort of noise possibly be caused by the actual recorder being overloaded via the mic input?  I did unplug and replug the cable into the R1 after the openers because the R1 was sideways in my pocket and I couldn't get it out with the plug in.  That's all that I can think of that I could have messed up because both of the openers sets sound crystal clear and they were as loud as DEP were.  I never fail to fuck something up every now and again when I'm stealthing ::)
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Re: Cracks and pops all over R1 tape...wtf????
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:18:45 AM »
Damn...that sucks Evil.  Dillinger is one of the best hardcore groups around.  I live in Norcal, and watched those guys as they were comin' up.

My thoughts:

Definitely could have been mic-in, but that would likely not be the clicks and pops.  Here's a funky-nut for you.  The heat-wave is sportin' some major rank over the atmosphere.  Were you in a humid area?  It is possible that an excessive amount of humidity on the jack made your connection (in the jack itself) less than stellar.  When I lived near the coast, I had that happen a few times during beach sets.  The combination of heat and electrostatic winds fucked up more than one tape with those exact cracks and pops.

With digital recording, I thought the cracks and pops came from the connection (i.e. the jack or the cable not being meshed).
Socks are overrated.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:51:32 AM »
yeah i'm almost positive it was a Mic In thing that i made the mistake on.  theres this sort of hiss noise on this recording along with the crackling and popping.  it's my understanding that the impedance differance would result in recorder noise and lower than usual levels, which is what the tape has.  the openers came out perfectly fine so i'm going to attribute the error to my being retarted.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:38:48 PM »
put a piece of electrical tape over the mic input.   :)  I also put a piece of electrical tape over the record button that lights up.  Sorry bout the tape...  :(
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:27:55 PM »
i'll have a shot at making another spitty tape saturday...can you say PRIMUS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com