Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Echo Audiofire12 as portable 24 track DAW interface  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Echo Audiofire12 as portable 24 track DAW interface
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:49:03 AM »
Manufacturers website - http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire12/index.php

Review from Musician's Friend - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=99154&g=rec

Here's what I think sounds very cool about this unit:

- 12 tracks of 24bit/192kHz streaming to your pc/mac via firewire, 24 tracks simultaneous recording with two unit daisy chained
- word clock support
- clean and simple input arrangement on rear
- front panel signal monitor and computer monitoring sync
- supposedly very low lag
- single rack unit mounting for easy portability
- new price of around $550 from online retailers, used on ebay for $400 or less

Here's the downside to the unit:

- no pre's built in so you need a front end for your lines
- level control must be done via computer
- compatability with other recording software is not completely specified

I've been trying to find a kick ass portable multitracking rig that has everything I could desire and this unit really jumped out at me.  I've been wanting the Mackie Onyx 1640 for a quite a while now, but I think the Audiofire12 is a better solution for me.  The advantages are clear, 24 streaming tracks and 192kHz sampling; but the lack of pre's (the sweet Onyx pres even) force you to purchase a couple of pre strips to act as a front end.  The other advantage over a firewire mixer in my eyes is the rack mountability.  You can throw a pair of these things in a small wheeled rack cart along with a power conditioner, pre-amps, aural exciter or other signal enhancers and set your laptop on top of the rack for a very small footprint of your entire rig.  I think that for the price of the Onyx 1640 I'm going to be able to set up a respectable 24 track system with enough pres to get me by.

Just my .02 but if anyone has hands on experience or better info chime in.

Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com