Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for good audio producing cameras?  (Read 5245 times)

Offline 6079

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Suggestions for good audio producing cameras?
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:41:04 PM »
I'm new to recording shows with a camera, so I'm not sure how the audio capturing quality of a video camera compares to other taping methods.

Any suggestions on good cameras that also produce great audio?  Or is it more common for video tapers to attach an external mic?
Also any major differences as far as setting levels, boost, cut, features, etc. would be nice to know.

Price isn't much concern for this.

Thanks.
Free Screenings of "Bill Hicks: Revelations" in Portland and Seattle
May 27th & 28th.
info: http://www.BillHicks.org  RSVP: http://Facebook.com/BillHicksNW

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Suggestions for good audio producing cameras?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:45:49 PM »
If price isn't a concern, separate mics would be a much better option. Especially because you could run the mics from the sweet spot and run your camera somewhere else.

I would consider listening to some shows on archive.org and picking what you like the most.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:09:12 PM »
Panasonic has proven to me to have the best quality audio over similar feature Canon/Sony brands.

Having a camera with at least external mic input with full manual level control + VU metering, and mic input (low/high) sensitivity control are essential features if recording anything professionally, and also needed if only an amateur for satisfactory audio of live musical performances.

Lately my 'stxxlth-guy' interest is drawn to Panasonic's (likely) world's smallest 3-chip HD fully 1440x1080/60i professional featured AG-HSC1 camera with external minijack mic input. 

This little guy has it all with full manual audio features inside a 3.8 x 1.3 x 2.4" size chassis sporting a very fast 43mm threaded Leica Dicomar optical 12x zoom stabilized lens taking filters/adapters, long battery life with recording to SDHC flash, and comes with separate ONG 40GIG card reading storage for emptying the flash card quickly during those extended festival field trips.

Plug in a pair of DSM stereo-surround mics mounted on my sunglasses and I'm good to go with the camera hidden inside my hand!

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »
I agree the Panasonics audio are definetely the best.But if your videotaping a loud concert(especially if your down in front)You'll overload the cameras preamp anyways.

On my Sony VX2100 which has manual level control and vu metering i recorded a band from the front row and showed my levels being good at around -12 and the audio was distorted cuz the internal preamp couldn't handle it.I also ran my Sony HiMD with DPA 4061's and that turned out perfect.So to be safe i would always run a seperate audio recorder,and use the video's audio as a guide to synch up your good audio later in post.

But if you doing low profile video from far away the cam will prolly suffice alone,but still won't be stellar.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »
I agree the Panasonics audio are definetely the best.But if your videotaping a loud concert(especially if your down in front)You'll overload the cameras preamp anyways.

On my Sony VX2100 which has manual level control and vu metering i recorded a band from the front row and showed my levels being good at around -12 and the audio was distorted cuz the internal preamp couldn't handle it.I also ran my Sony HiMD with DPA 4061's and that turned out perfect.So to be safe i would always run a seperate audio recorder,and use the video's audio as a guide to synch up your good audio later in post.

But if you doing low profile video from far away the cam will prolly suffice alone,but still won't be stellar.

DPA-4060 series mics are high sensitivity output type often overloading MIC inputs on decks/cameras even with devices featuring LOW mic input sensitivity switch. 

Most recording live amplified venues resort to LINE input on decks and require more featured cameras with external LINE level input, OR use of external ~15 dB mic pad in-series with the mic output to avoid mic input clipping distortions if camera is not featured with LINE level input ability.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
overloading not as much of an issue with a Panasonc GS-400 as you can manually adjust gain (very few models can). I have a GS-250 and audio well above average for a cam. Still dub though if I can

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »
I have the Panasonic PV-GS300, 320, and 400.  They all produce very decent audio but I do use a separate source whenever possible.  It's a good idea to get an external mic though.  The Sony ECM-907/908c is a good budget mic.  I was recording a high school prom last year with the GS400 and 908c mic and it was LOUD.  The audio turned out well. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com