Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for a center channel omni to run into my MixPre3  (Read 8883 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Looking for something to run into channel #3 on my MixPre3
For open taping i might as well run 3 channels. I'll be running Schoeps MK4V's
for the outside pair. Cap + body or fixed. What should i do? AT, AKG's i was thinking.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Suggestions for a center channel omni to run into my MixPre3
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
Looking for something to run into channel #3 on my MixPre3
For open taping i might as well run 3 channels. I'll be running Schoeps MK4V's
for the outside pair. Cap + body or fixed. What should i do? AT, AKG's i was thinking.

ed

we have liked a card as center, fig 8 is fun to play with as well if you have one
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
ah didnt realize the MK4V were cards

interesting setup
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »
Mk22.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
I'm going to run subcards(dpa4028) as the stereo pair and card(dpa4023) as the mono.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »
Think about the primary thing you wish to achieve from the addition of a third channel.  That could be any one or a combination of several different things:

A more extended bass response
A solid center stereo image, which preferably doesn't sacrifice image width
A focused center with less ambient material in the middle compared with the outer edges of the playback image
An increased sense of depth and/or space without the loss of forward presence.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
A single center omni will extend bass response of a pair of cardioids, and that's the first thing most folks think about when considering adding an omni. If only interested in that bass extension aspect, a low-pass filter on the omni will keep your near-spaced cardioid configuration from being affected above the low bass region and preserves the stereo qualities you're familiar with using a standard near-spaced stereo microphone configuration.

If the center omni is not low-pass filtered, imaging, recording timbre, and the ambient pickup will also be altered along with bass extension.  That may be good or not good, depending.  The recording will sound more ambient and reverberant by making the overall pickup more omnidirectional.  Yet at the same time the stereo imaging will become less wide because of the introduction of additional common information to both channels.  And their will be more comb-filtering due to the close proximity (without true coincidencce) of having three microphone locations interacting with each other, with smaller mics spacings between the center and side mics than what one had between just left and right in the two-channel config.

To offset the reduced imaging width and to reduce the comb-filtering and it's associated timbrel effects, increase the spacing and/or open up the angle between the Left and Right mics.  How much depends on what center channel pickup pattern you've chosen and how much center channel level you are going to use (along with other things such as the particularities of the venue, sound system, and your setup location). I strongly recommend using more spacing whenever possible when adding a full range center mic between left and right microphones, partly because more angle between mics is not enough on it's own and is quite often not wanted anyway. In terms of just imaging, if its absolutely necessary to stick with a standard near-spaced two-channel mic configuration spacing between left and right microphones, a full 180 degrees between left and right mics is not only reasonable, it's not quite enough!   If you can't space the left/right stereo pair mics more than you would for a 2-channel config, consider raising or lowering the omni by 2' or 3' on the same stand.  That might sound like an odd suggestion, but the idea is to introduce sufficient distance between the three points in space to decorellate the reverberance sufficiently at medium and high frequencies (since we are using no low pass, remember?).  Sufficient spacing reduces the comb-filtering timbrel affects and produces a more open sounding reverberant pickup.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
It may be simpler to first think of the implications of using three identical cardioids, and extend that case by substituting an omni for the center cardioid.   

The arrangement of three cardioids can be thought of as two standard near-spaced stereo configurations which happen to share one microphone in the center.  The two stereo near-spaced configs are ideally joined seamlessly along the shared central edge without either too much pattern gap or too much overlap.  Imagine two DIN configurations (pair of cardioids spaced 20cm / angled 90-degrees) next to each other sharing a center mic.  That positions the left and right mics 28cm apart, pointing 180 degrees away from each other.  In terms of stereo imaging, that's a reasonable 3-mic arrangement when all three channels are used at the same level, and believe it or not, it's often appropriate outdoors. Don't want to point your left and right microphones at the side-walls? Using less angle between mics ideally means introducing more spacing between them to compensate for reducing the angles.

Fortunately we also gain a good degree of flexibility by introducing a third channel.  So we can vary the level of the 3rd channel against the other two to find and appropriate fit even if the configuration isn't perfectly correct to start with - something we can't do when limited to 2-channels.  We can also EQ the center mic differently from the left/right pair if we want to mess with doing so, which is a super powerful tool, especially when using different pickup patterns for left/right and center, as it can help achieve a smooth blend of image and timbre across the soundstage.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:57:57 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »
I'm going to run subcards(dpa4028) as the stereo pair and card(dpa4023) as the mono.

I like this idea because it's an interesting adaptation of spaced omnis with a directional center mic.  In terms of imaging, the subcards need not be spaced as far as the omnis if pointed 180 degrees apart. Or space them as far as omnis and limit reverberance and ambient pickup somewhat by pointing them forwards.

we have liked a card as center, fig 8 is fun to play with as well if you have one

An 8 in the center sort of does something similar but from the inside out, allowing a somewhat narrower omni spacing because the center pickup is more narrowly focused, so there is less narrowing pattern overlap.

Bass extension is most related to pickup pattern. The stereo quality of the bass is going to be most effected by the spacing between the mics regardless of their pattern.  The imaging of the midrange and above is a combination of pattern, spacing and mic angle.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:35:48 PM »
What to do when you can't use more spacing than your normal stereo config, but still want to use that center mic?

Low pass a center omni, or point the center mic directly backwards regardless of it's pattern!

Pointing it backwards produces the maximum achievable angle difference between the center mic and the otherwise too narrow-spaced stereo pair.  Even an omni would benefit from this by providing mixdown control over ambient "air" at high frequencies. Bring up the center with the mids and highs cut to reinforce as much low bass as you want, then bring up some highs in that channel for open ambient "air" while leaving the midrange scooped to reduce boominess and reverberance.

A wider pattern like subcardioid will provide somewhat more extended bass, as well as somewhat more user control over the  the room ambience, because it is picking up less direct sound from in front.  A rear-facing cardioid or supercard probably won't extend the bass any, but provides maximum ambience control as it maximally excludes the direct sound from in front as much as possible.  EQ may not be strictly necessary to reap the benefit of a rear-facing mic, but is very helpful when doing this.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
And finally, for anyone using a single center cardioid or supercard in between subcards or omnis, consider using an X/Y or M/S pair in the center instead, as long as you have the mics to do it.  Most recording channels come in even numbers, so running 4 channels isn't much more hassle than running 3.  A coincident stereo center keeps things simple acoustically - there are still only 3-points in space with respect to the comb-filtering.  The nice thing is that it provides imaging flexibility.  You can control the smooth image blend between the sharp-imaging coincident center pair out into the ambient bed of the spaced pair, not only by simply adjusting center level (and EQ if you do that), but also with with center panning and stereo width adjustment on the coincident pair. 

I suggest keeping the center X/Y angle relatively narrow to retain a good forward focus and center clarity.  You'll get plenty of overall image width from the spaced pair.  Keeping the X/Y pair angled narrowly limits ambient pickup in the center and also effectively acts as a PAS center config so you get maximum PA clarity from your recording location.  Dialing in the perfect amount of coincident center width afterwards simply snaps everything into place.  Its easy and exciting to hear that happen.

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Lee if you wrote a book I'd buy multiple copies.

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:23:53 PM »
how bout a mk3.  I got 1 extra.
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Offline edtyre

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
how bout a mk3.  I got 1 extra.

Thanks Tom, check your messages :-)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline edtyre

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
Thanks Lee for all the info brother. I'm going to try both facing backwards and running a few feet higher than the cards.
Having the additional channel to play with cannot hurt anything, just take more time  8)

I bought an AT 4022 omni
music>mics>pre>recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com