Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Klamping Kwestion  (Read 5924 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Re: Klamping Kwestion
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
I'm getting a gooseneck rather than a rigid bar for better positioning.

Make sure the one you get is stiff enough for the weight you'll put on it.  I had a pair of spaced omnis on a Manfrotto 154B (which is a pretty substantial piece of hardware) on a gooseneck once and watched them slowly droop further and further as the show went on.  Everything was safety cabled, so I wasn't worried about my mics (or the people under them), but I learned my lesson about cheap goosenecks...

Yeah, I have one at work I tested it with: not gonna work.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
I gave up on those flexible goosenecks.
Many years ago, I bought one of these, and it is a great thing to have when it is needed; but I don't regularly use it.
It is by On-Stage Mic stand products (don't know the official name).
It is the angle adaptor only, not the base.  It is threaded for 5/8-27, but, I've adapted my entire rig to 3/8-16, incluidng adaptor threads for this thing.

It is in two parts.  There is a screw that draws the two sections together. There are gear-like teeth that hold the sections together, firmly, and hold the angle firmly, until you loosen the sections, and cause a change in angles.
They also make a stubby version that doesn't have the longer reach as shown.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:39:20 AM by Moke »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »

I use this Manfrotto Articulated Arm with an Impact Superclamp and I've never encountered a scenario where I couldn't make it work for my mics or my video camera. You can snake it through railings and around corners - use it to go out from a balcony rail and go down or up - it collapses down far enough I can pack it into my bag if needed or slide it into the pouch in the back that holds the waist belt.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354218-REG/Manfrotto_196AB_2_196AB_2_Articulated_Arm.html#!

I have clamped to a railing with the Windtech C Clamp like you mentioned in your original post but I just don't think it's robust enough for anything other than a light active setup only. I wouldn't use it to extend out anywhere over people..
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »

I use this Manfrotto Articulated Arm with an Impact Superclamp and I've never encountered a scenario where I couldn't make it work for my mics or my video camera. You can snake it through railings and around corners - use it to go out from a balcony rail and go down or up - it collapses down far enough I can pack it into my bag if needed or slide it into the pouch in the back that holds the waist belt.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354218-REG/Manfrotto_196AB_2_196AB_2_Articulated_Arm.html#!

I have clamped to a railing with the Windtech C Clamp like you mentioned in your original post but I just don't think it's robust enough for anything other than a light active setup only. I wouldn't use it to extend out anywhere over people..
+T. I am buying this one today along with a super clamp. Thanks!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »
^ There is also a three section version of that articulated arm.  Of course, I was stupid and bought the (considerably heavier) double armed model.  That was even scarier than the drooping gooseneck; I was taping a MMW show in Rotterdam and the combined weight of the double articulated arm and the 154B on the end caused the Super Clamp to rotate around the circular railing to which it was clamped.  I was really sweating by the end of that show...

mfrench

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
clamped to the clamp, again,...

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
clamped to the clamp, again,...

Moke, next time you're in there how's about swiping that Crystal Gayle poster for me :smash:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »

+T. I am buying this one today along with a super clamp. Thanks!
I did buy it and a  few other accessories. Already owned the Manfrotto triple bar; and don't plan to use this arm with it, but for example photos I went with it!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

jcable77

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »
Those articulating arms seem pretty cool.

I repurposed two SuperClamps to fix a couple vertical company-name display banner/flags, intended to be spiked into the ground, onto our boat-show booth today.  Good to have taper gear at the ready in the back of the car.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com