Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05  (Read 22400 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Roland R-05
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:38:05 AM »
After much seraching, I could not find a specific thread for the Roland R-05 recorder (feel free to correct me though), so I'll start one.

I have been using my R-05 since 2011 and think it's a great little recorder and certainly more sturdy than the R-09 it replaced. However, mine has developed a strange fault. It likes switching itself on and off, intermittently. Sometimes a press of a front panel button will start it up, sometimes it just won't stay off and needs the batteries to be removed. It works fine otherwise and hasn't switched off when the lock is on. Has anyone else come across this strange behaviour? FYI - my unit hasn't been dropped and is well looked after. Firmware is the latest 1.03.

I have been in touch with Roland UK, who did a little troubleshooting by e-mail and have now arranged for the recorder to be picked up by courier, for their engineers to have a look at it. Though it is over two years old, they tell me it is still within the warranty period, which is nice. I'll post any rectification and fault details when I get them.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Roland R-05
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
That is an odd problem, but at least Roland is handling it and sounds interested in figuring out the issue.

I think the R-05 is a fantastic recorder. I use it constantly, everything is perfectly positioned and it's design is most perfect for the way I set myself up in a low pro situation. The only thing I don't like about it, is that all the writing rubbed off on it and fairly quickly. I used a label maker so I can remember what the switches on the back do as all the writing rubbed off. That said, I never use those switches. I find it's layout very similar to the Tascam DR 2d, and that may be largely because the mic and line inputs are at the top which I prefer. I prefer the lock button of the Roland though, because I do not have to reach around to the back which I do on the Tascam making that one a little less comfortable in a low pro situation.

For me is the best little deck available right now. Constant use has only reinforced that position for me.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:11:53 AM »

The only thing I don't like about it, is that all the writing rubbed off on it and fairly quickly. I used a label maker so I can remember what the switches on the back do as all the writing rubbed off. That said, I never use those switches.

Mine still has the writing intact, mainly because I put a piece of tape over the switches to prevent inadvertent operation whilst the recorder was in my pocket. I saw one of the switches out of position after a gig shortly after buying it and decided to tape them up.

I think this recorder has less interest on this board due to the pricing in the US at the time it entered the market. In Europe, it was cheaper than the R09HR and did all I needed it to. It even records in 24/96, though it wasn't long before I decided that 24/48 was sufficient.

It has performed admirably on the 55 gigs I have taped since buying it.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
Would you guys recommend this over the Tascam DR-07/05 at a similar price level? I don't have the money to jump up to an M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
While I've never owned either of those Tascam decks, I have handled them and the R-05, to me, seems to be a little better constructed and the layout / controls a bit more intuitive.  I recall seeing some specs comparing the preamps and the R-05 has the edge there, as well.  If I can find the link I'll post it here.  Found. > http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

As far as comparing the R-05 and Sony M10, aside from the M10's stupendous battery life it's a dead heat between the two decks.  Go for whichever one you can get the better price on.  One thing I don't like about the M10 is that the input level wheel still operates even if you have the button lock on.  Probably not a big deal if you run open, but may be a game changer if you stealth; I've heard a few anecdotes about the levels on the M10 getting moved about as the tapers placed and removed the recorders in and from their pockets. 

FWIW, I purchased an R-05 on sale a few years ago to replace an aging Edirol R-09 and I couldn't be happier.  It's everything I could ask for in a small recorder and a definite leg up on the R-09 series.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:24:27 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
While I've never owned either of those Tascam decks, I have handled them and the R-05, to me, seems to be a little better constructed and the layout / controls a bit more intuitive.  I recall seeing some specs comparing the preamps and the R-05 has the edge there, as well.  If I can find the link I'll post it here. 

As far as comparing the R-05 and Sony M10, aside from the M10's stupendous battery life it's a dead heat between the two decks.  Go for whichever one you can get the better price on.  One thing I don't like about the M10 is that the input level wheel still operates even if you have the button lock on.  Probably not a big deal if you run open, but may be a game changer if you stealth; I've heard a few anecdotes about the levels on the M10 getting moved about as the tapers placed and removed the recorders in and from their pockets. 

FWIW, I purchased an R-05 on sale a few years ago to replace an aging Edirol R-09 and I couldn't be happier.  It's everything I could ask for in a small recorder and a definite leg up on the R-09 series.
Additionally, the Roland runs on SDHC Flash, not the finicky temperamental micro cards the M10 uses. There have been M10 battery door issues and issues with having to compensate for the channels not being exactly balanced. All easy things to get around, but none are issues with the Roland.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
American price seems pretty good nowadays, $155.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687099-REG/Roland_R_05_R_05_Portable_24_bit_Digital.html

Insane in the membrane. I recall buying a R-09HR when they first came out at a Best Buy because I needed one immediately for $450. And to think I could now get a Tascam DR-680 for that price. Its a great world we live in.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
Just remember that even by Roland's spec the R05 takes a 10db lower input level compared to thr R09HR. It seems the line in is a consumer level rather than pro. There is quite a big price drop going from the R09Hr to the 05 - there must be a good reason for this. I ran the R05 once having run the 09HR for years and noticed the difference immediately.  I think its a great little deck and whilst noise and preamps are probably similar to the M10 I wouldn't use it for stack taping or other very loud situations. YMMV of course.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
While I've never owned either of those Tascam decks, I have handled them and the R-05, to me, seems to be a little better constructed and the layout / controls a bit more intuitive.  I recall seeing some specs comparing the preamps and the R-05 has the edge there, as well.  If I can find the link I'll post it here.  Found. > http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

I looked at that set of tests too. 

I've been very happy with mine for the occasions I need it.  It's gotten considerable use and always done fine.  I sort of regretted not having the Sony for a while but there are enough anecdotal issues around the level set and other accidents/oddities that I don't regret it now.  If I were going to use the mic-in I'd want the Sony for the internal pre-amp. 

LATER EDIT TO ADD: 

Less than a year after this happy review my R-05 developed a fault where the input started dropping out.  It seems the input got loose on the circuit board (not in wiring or the sleeve) despite gentle use.  This seems to be a common issue/design flaw. 

So I didn't get a lot of life from the unit.  I replaced with an M-10, which I do like a lot more than the R-05 for a variety of reasons...  The R-05 is cheaper but also made more cheaply... 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:44:39 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
With regard to the fault I posted in the OP.

Roland arranged for the recorder to be picked up by courier (at their cost) on the Monday, though the courier went to the wrong address (either Roland or TNT's fault), so pick up was Tuesday. I got a call from the repair engineer on the Wednesday afternoon to ask a few questions and the unit was shipped back to me on the Thursday, though it was Monday before TNT got it back to me.

The repair engineer couldn't reproduce the fault, which I thought very strange, as the only difference was that I removed the batteries and sd card before shipping. He did ask about the card, but I told him the card had been used for the last nine months and he didn't consider that to be the problem. The repair details stated "replace main and panel pcbs as precaution".

I'm pleased to say that the R05 worked as advertised when I received it back yesterday, after having to re-check all of my settings (factory reset had been performed). I used it last night and it worked fine, with no sign of the fault returning. Roland (UK) certainly provided a really good service under warranty and the support contact answered the phone any time I called him, so a thumbs-up to them then.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
thinking about getting an R-05 to replace my R-09HR which seems to have been hit with something and has lines through the screen and a rattle.  Not sure what happened, but might be time to upgrade.

People still like the R-05?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
I love the R-05.
I have two of them.

Perfect recorder for stealthing.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »

One of the main reasons I prefer the R-05 over the M10 for stealthing.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
I too, prefer the R-05 to the M10, because of the wheel mentioned above and the sd card vs mini sd card.
But we are in the distinct minority, the M10 is the much more popular deck around here.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
any reason why in particular the M10 is far and away the choice?  R-05 is $50 cheaper new.

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:50:34 AM »
any reason why in particular the M10 is far and away the choice?  R-05 is $50 cheaper new.

The battery life is better. Lots and lots about other reasons elsewhere.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »
I've never once had battery issues with the R09HR, and I assume the R05 is even better. Eneloops FTW.  So batteries aren't a huge deal.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »
I've heard a few cases of these dieing and no reports of that with the M10.  I owned one for a short time, but preferred the M10.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:58:34 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
Well over 3-1/2 years later and I'm still happy with my R-05.  Plenty of battery life with Eneloops and the use of regular SD cards as opposed to the MicroSD is nice.  Have run a SD MixPre into it on a few occasions, which has a notoriously hot output, and as long as I've used pads on the input side (microphones) of the MixPre there aren't any problems.  I use my R-05 primarily for stealthing and have had zero issues stack-taping with it: if you have the proper amount of power going to your mics, you shouldn't have any problem.   

Offline perks

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 05:30:37 PM »
^ similar experience. Started using mine in 2013 and it's been rock solid for 250+ recordings. Never had any issues with taping loud PA's up close.
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 05:40:25 PM »
How much different, sound-wise, is the R-05 from the Edirol R-09HR, R-09, and R-1?  Anybody ever compare the four?  Samples? 

I've owned the other three, and I'm interested buying a R-05.  Thanks.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »
^^  I no longer have my R-09 (non-HR) so I can't do any direct comps, but going from memory I believe the R-05 sounds "cleaner" to my ears.  But maybe my microphones and techniques have gotten better in the ensuing years.  According to the Avisoft page, the specs for the R-05 and R-09HR are very close. 

I'm very happy with this Mike Watt recording I made a few years ago using the R-05. > http://www.nyctaper.com/2012/05/mike-watt-friends-may-2-2012-le-poisson-rouge-flac-and-mp3-downloads-streaming-song/

For this King Buzzo recording, the mics were attached to his stage monitors and hung in front of the grilles. > http://www.nyctaper.com/2014/07/king-buzzo-july-14-2014-the-wick-flac-mp3-streaming-songs/

Apologies for the shameless self-promotion. ;D

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
I've never once had battery issues with the R09HR, and I assume the R05 is even better. Eneloops FTW.  So batteries aren't a huge deal.

I like my R09 HR way better than my M10. The HR has more battery life than I need and I like everything else about it better. Admittedly I haven't used the HR to record quiet stuff & I assume the M10's reportedly better pre's  would be a reason I might prefer the M10 if I recorded quiet stuff. I keep the M10 only because it can power my Sonic Studios mics without a battery box and together they make a great stealth package.

I also like the Sony D50 much more than the M10 except when I need to be really stealthy. I like the larger display of the D50 and it seems to provide more gain. One thing I really hate about the M10 is that when you turn up the gain from 7/10 to 10/10 it adds very little more gain.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
How much different, sound-wise, is the R-05 from the Edirol R-09HR, R-09, and R-1?  Anybody ever compare the four?  Samples? 

I've owned the other three, and I'm interested buying a R-05.  Thanks.
Dan,
I don't have other Roland decks for direct comparison, but I find the R-05 as a great go to deck. Here are a few links, varied recording conditions...
https://archive.org/details/TTB2015-06-19.StateTheaterMplsMN
https://archive.org/details/CCD2015-04-28.RhiannonGiddensPantagesMplsMN
https://archive.org/details/JoeRussosAlmostDead2015-04-22.FirstAveMplsMN_BusmanOmnis

I think it is really easy to use and have never had any issues with different SD cards, venues, open, low pro, recording conditions, preamps or mics...

Offline ksg4299

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • The blues had a baby & they called it rock & roll
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 07:56:17 PM »
I've recently lost use of a channel on the line level input...this was a notorious problem on the old r-09 (which oddly hasn't happened to mine yet)....is there a way to fix this? is there someone I can send it to?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much,
Kyle
Peluso CEMC-6-MP (ck-2, 4, 21, 41)   Avenson STO-2-MP   Rode NT-4   CA- 14's   CA-11's   CA-1's   Shure SM7B
CA -9200   Sound Devices 302   R-05   R-09   PMD661-WMOD

Offline flyingv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 05:34:23 AM »
Hi i'm new in this forum, i only own a r-05 right now and i plan to tape a metal show in 3 weeks.. Any chance to get a good recording without preamps and external mics? Any help on the setup? I hope to get a battery box, preamp and external mics soon but for now i only have the r-05!

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 01:14:40 PM »
I've recently lost use of a channel on the line level input...this was a notorious problem on the old r-09 (which oddly hasn't happened to mine yet)....is there a way to fix this? is there someone I can send it to?

Thanks so much,
Kyle

Reading through the old thread on this recorder you'll find the connections fail in the input chips, losing one or both channels even under fairly gentle use.  A factory repair is more than the recorder is worth.  I sold mine to someone who planned to tinker with it.  They put in a new input sleeve (removing the internal mics) and somehow bypassed the fault but whoever does it really needs to know what they're doing... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »
Hi i'm new in this forum, i only own a r-05 right now and i plan to tape a metal show in 3 weeks.. Any chance to get a good recording without preamps and external mics? Any help on the setup? I hope to get a battery box, preamp and external mics soon but for now i only have the r-05!

With internal mics it's luck of the draw.  It first depends on whether the SPLs are too loud for the mics/recorder. 

There is a sensitivty switch you can set for some attempt to limit the input.  That may not be enough.  I don't think the internals are particularly robust in this deck. 

Note you only need a preamp or a battery box, not both.  Make sure it supplies the correct power level for the mics.  A battery box would be lower cost and for loud shows probably enough for plug-in powered mics. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline flyingv

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »

With internal mics it's luck of the draw.  It first depends on whether the SPLs are too loud for the mics/recorder. 

There is a sensitivty switch you can set for some attempt to limit the input.  That may not be enough.  I don't think the internals are particularly robust in this deck. 

Note you only need a preamp or a battery box, not both.  Make sure it supplies the correct power level for the mics.  A battery box would be lower cost and for loud shows probably enough for plug-in powered mics.
Thx for the help, i'll just try it and will see if i get a good result or not!
I know, i just need either a battery box or a Preamp. but thanks for helping  ;)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »

Thanks so much,
Kyle

Reading through the old thread on this recorder you'll find the connections fail in the input chips, losing one or both channels even under fairly gentle use.  A factory repair is more than the recorder is worth.  I sold mine to someone who planned to tinker with it.  They put in a new input sleeve (removing the internal mics) and somehow bypassed the fault but whoever does it really needs to know what they're doing...
This was an issue on the R09, but has not been an issue with the R-05.

Offline flyingv

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 04:01:12 AM »
One more question guys..
Like i said i already own an R-05, if i will buy me a church package, CA 9200 Preamp & CA 14 Cardioid mics for Rock and metal shows at venues with like 2000-15000 fans, would this work out or would you buy other equipment?  :)

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »
One more question guys..
Like i said i already own an R-05, if i will buy me a church package, CA 9200 Preamp & CA 14 Cardioid mics for Rock and metal shows at venues with like 2000-15000 fans, would this work out or would you buy other equipment?  :)

Open or stealthing, the CA-14s will serve you well. I used them for about five years for both. I preferred to stealth with the omnis and get close to the sound source. Running open indoors and/or in places with less than perfect sound, I ran cards. YMMV.

That said if you need them soon, buy used. You will wait a long time for new CA product.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline flyingv

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
One more question guys..

Open or stealthing, the CA-14s will serve you well. I used them for about five years for both. I preferred to stealth with the omnis and get close to the sound source. Running open indoors and/or in places with less than perfect sound, I ran cards. YMMV.

That said if you need them soon, buy used. You will wait a long time for new CA product.
Most of the time i will be stealthing i guess, i have to look for some used ones.. otherwise i'll have to order new ones soon!

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
One more question guys..

Most of the time i will be stealthing i guess, i have to look for some used ones.. otherwise i'll have to order new ones soon!

Agreed with hoppedup that you'll do well with the CA-14s; Chris makes great gear, it can just take a while to get.  The only thing I would add is, seeing that you appear to be stealthing rock and metal shows, that I don't think you'll get much practical use from a preamp.  Easier to stealth and much simpler to use, I think you'll be fine using just a battery box.  However, if the Church package is the same price whether you get either a preamp or battery box, you might as well go for the preamp.  My .02 cents. 

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »

Thanks so much,
Kyle

I think I was the one who bought your R-05. The problem I found was that the mic and line inputs are just surface soldered to the board. Eventually, stress delaminates the solder point off the board. I couldn't find a suitable replacement jack and even if I did the solder point wasn't able to be re-soldered. I was able to get a jack that fit into the internal mic shell with a little modification and hot glue. As far as the connection went, I had to trace out and connect a wire to the next component in the circuit. The mic input no longer works and I sacrificed the internal mics but I would never use either anyway. So far, the line input has worked flawlessly. It did take 7-8 hours of "tinkering" so it's probably not worth paying someone to repair but it's not worth throwing one away if you're good at soldering.

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »

Thanks so much,
Kyle

This was an issue on the R09, but has not been an issue with the R-05.

Nope.  See immediately above ^ for the evidence (which I did own)... 

I wasn't the only one with that problem with the R-05.  I didn't get what I would consider to be a full life span out of it and I was not a heavy taper and one who when I did go in 007 mode would have it out in the open in my lap or on a chair, so it wasn't getting banged around in a pocket. 

It was a decent recorder and served me fairly well until it crapped out but I'm much happier with the M-10 that replaced it. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline perks

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
I owned 3 R-09's all of them had the input jack failure issue. I owned 1 r-09hr which got a ton of use and did not die from jack failure but a cracked display and then in 2013 I got a R-05 that has been rock solid for roughly 200+ shows. I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
I owned 3 R-09's all of them had the input jack failure issue. I owned 1 r-09hr which got a ton of use and did not die from jack failure but a cracked display and then in 2013 I got a R-05 that has been rock solid for roughly 200+ shows. I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.
I'd agree with Perks. I have had 3 R-05's. On one the lock eventually failed, so I sold it on eBay to a very happy guitarist. I use 2 of them pretty regularly close to once a week on average, and have never had a jack issue.

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »
Never had issues with my r-05's

Recorded over well over 100 shows with them.
recorder roland r-05 

Offline klingklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 03:36:14 AM »
I've been browsing the various R-05 threads, but I just wanted to pop on here and ask about the unity gain on the R-05.  It's 40, correct?

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
^  40 seems a bit high to me.  Depends on the preamp you're putting in front of it, but in my experience it has been between 22 and 26 on the R-05; this is using the slate tone on various Sound Devices products. 

If you have the time and inclination, one of our resident experts, DSatz, started a thread several years ago regarding "the myth of unity gain" and how we tend to misuse that term.  Interesting reading. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152494.0

Edit to add: Yet another interesting post from DSatz regarding unity gain. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=143004.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:24:44 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline klingklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:59 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info and for the links to those threads. I'll read those more thoroughly when my feeble brain can focus more than it wants to right now  :)

All I was able to find before that were:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148216 and http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163875 and both mentioned it around 40, like how the R09HR is.  But it didn't sound definitive and was from some years back, which is why I was curious.

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:45 AM »
I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.

You could try my R-09 jack compression fix: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164511.msg2058467

My R-09 still works, but I mainly use an M10 for battery life and 5s pre-record buffer.  I have 2 M10s and still sometimes use the R-09 when I want a 3rd rig, though.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a 3rd M10 or (my first) R-05...

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
I think any input jack can fail with wear and tear but the original r-09 had a design flaw that caused the input jack to fail quickly.  I've never used a m-10 but I've yet to hear anybody say they had any kind of failure with one.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a 3rd M10 or (my first) R-05...

R-05.

I know the M10 is a favourite on this board, but I seriously think the r-05 has a better design for stealth.
recorder roland r-05 

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 01:09:03 AM »
I know this is an old thread and hasn't seen any action in a while, but if you like this recorder you might want to grab a back-up if you can.  Going the way of the Sony M10, B&H has the Roland R-05 listed as "discontinued" on their website.  Guitar Center and Musician's Friend have it as "unavailable", Sweetwater notes it as "out of stock".  Full Compass and Adorama appear to still have them.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 06:54:02 AM »
I know this is an old thread and hasn't seen any action in a while, but if you like this recorder you might want to grab a back-up if you can.  Going the way of the Sony M10, B&H has the Roland R-05 listed as "discontinued" on their website.  Guitar Center and Musician's Friend have it as "unavailable", Sweetwater notes it as "out of stock".  Full Compass and Adorama appear to still have them.

Amazon has them too...
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
Get them while you can.

Roland doesn't supply stock anymore to any dealer who tries to place an order.

Sad but true: the R-05 is discontinued

recorder roland r-05 

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Just a follow-up on availability...

I decided to purchase another R-05 as a backup and the first place I tried (RK Audio in NY) dragged their feet for over a week before admitting they didn't have them in stock and could no longer get them. 
Adorama lists it as "no longer available". 
Full Compass and Sam Ash list it as "special order" or "more on the way" which, as robeti noted, means they very likely won't be getting them. 
In addition to various sellers on Amazon, I found a few other places (American Musical Supply, ProSoundGear, The Midi Store) which claim to have them in stock, new, and at the $199 price point. 

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »
I've got a weird issue with my R-05 and I wonder if there's something wrong with it or if it's just user error.  I was doing some testing tonight, recording some pink noise.  First I did it with the R-05, Countryman B3 mics, and a CA BB.  I noticed the one channel's levels were noticeably lower than the other.  So, I did the same test but with my DR-70D (same mics, BB, and pink noise).  With the DR-70D, the levels were dead even (to make sure I didn't misjudge where I set the levels on the 70D, I turned both channels all the way to their max).  I opened each recording in Audacity and it also shows that the R-05 recording has higher levels in one channel than the other, while the 70D recording has both channels even.

Anyone have an idea about what's going on here?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
Could be something as simple as a dirty jack.  Don't know which input you tried on the R-05 ("Line In", "Mic", or both), but my first suggestion would be to try cleaning the jacks with some DeoxIT D5 contact cleaner.  Don't spray the stuff right in: put some on a plug, plug it into the jack a few times, twist it around, etc.  If grime is the issue, it will clear it up pretty quickly. 

If that's not the case, there could be a number of any other issues at play: bad connection, faulty component, some type of damage, etc.  Good luck. 

Offline heathen

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
Thanks I'm going to test it more tonight.  I was using the line in jack, so I'll try mic in (and the internal mics alone too).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Turns out (after doing more testing) the issue is with the mics. Now the question is whether the level imbalance between the mics is cause for concern...

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:28 AM »
Most low end mics tend to be mismatched at least 1 dB.  It's pretty easy to address in post as long as they actually sound the same when the levels are balanced. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline heathen

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 12:52:57 AM »
These are Countryman B3s and they are different by about 4 db. As far as I can tell so far they sound the same, but I have just tried to judge them by ear.

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
As a fellow B3 user, and knowing several others who have/had them, I can attest that these mics are rarely matched and Countryman doesn't offer a service to do so.  My set are even consecutive serial numbers and still around 1.5 dB or so off.  I know another taper who had a set off by 5-6 dB; matching up in post and the end results sounded great.  Same thing with mine.  YMMV, but it's not unusual for B3s to be off by at least a few decibels and their sonic characteristics stay the same. 

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »
I know another taper who had a set off by 5-6 dB; matching up in post and the end results sounded great.

5-6 dB?  That's crazy but at least all's well that ends well... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.184 seconds with 85 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com