Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixpre-D > M10, best way to set levels.  (Read 10140 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mixpre-D > M10, best way to set levels.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
That test you did on the line in?
yes
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
I also run my M10's at like 3.5>4 :) I use my preamps to dial in the rest ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline sk-1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
Technically the best way to set levels on the M10 (or any other recorder) is to switch on the mixpre's tone generator and adjust rec level on the M10 until it registers -20dBFS. From memory on my unit that was at about 4.5. This way you'll know that the mixpre's clip level aligns perfectly with the M10's clip level, and you can now just watch the mixpre meters and not worry about the M10.

Pan switches should always be set hard left and hard right, otherwise you won't be recording proper stereo. Turn on the fancy new ch1-2 gain linking and you're good to go! Wish I still had a mixpre :)

Ben

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
Technically the best way to set levels on the M10 (or any other recorder) is to switch on the mixpre's tone generator and adjust rec level on the M10 until it registers -20dBFS. From memory on my unit that was at about 4.5. This way you'll know that the mixpre's clip level aligns perfectly with the M10's clip level, and you can now just watch the mixpre meters and not worry about the M10.

Pan switches should always be set hard left and hard right, otherwise you won't be recording proper stereo. Turn on the fancy new ch1-2 gain linking and you're good to go! Wish I still had a mixpre :)

Ben

I checked the tone generator and my M10 can be set to near 5 (approx 4.8 ). Setting it to 4 (which is unity gain, sets it to about -23db). There is no way the M10 is gonna record incoming signals to loud (overloading). But.....is this setting not a bit too safe? (I can normalize it ofcourse, but aren't you missing to much setting it this low?). I did my first concert last week, where I ended up setting the M10 to 7. No overload, no nothing and still plenty headroom to normalize it.

Second, what you mean by "turn on the fancy new ch1-2 gain" (is that the Limiter switch setting, setting to LINK?)

Edit: This is what it looks like (for those interested), remember, the small levelknob on the right is set to approx. 4.8 )

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:31:30 PM by popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline sk-1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »
Very late reply, apologies.

From the manual:

"Stereo linking allows Inputs 1 and 2 to be controlled as a single, stereo input. This is useful when stereo microphones or stereo line level signals are used with the MixPre-D. There are two modes of operation for stereo linking, X/Y link and MS stereo...To cycle between linking configurations hold down both Input 1 and Input 2 Buttons and slide the Slate Switch to the Slate position."

I love how Sound Devices can just keep on cramming highly useful features into their boxes. Kind of like Naiant.

Ben

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »
Thanks Ben , but to be honest, I have not figured out the difference in X/Y link and MS stereo. First time I used this mixpre, I did not use it because i did not want to affect any incoming signal.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
Thanks Ben , but to be honest, I have not figured out the difference in X/Y link and MS stereo. First time I used this mixpre, I did not use it because i did not want to affect any incoming signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_practice
x/y: typically placed at 90° or more to each other.
m/s: This coincident technique employs a bidirectional microphone (with discrete outputs for each of the diaphragms) facing sideways and a cardioid (generally a variety of cardioid, although Alan Blumlein described the usage of an omnidirectional transducer in his original patent) at an angle of 90° facing the sound source.

also helpful: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Visualization-FaulknerE.htm
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline sk-1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
In this case the designation XY is not a reference to the mic configuration. You can use the XY setting for any stereo configuration, or any situation that requires matched left-right levels, including un-matrixed/raw mid-side. The MS setting should only be used when a true MS mic setup is in use.

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
Thanks for the links, nice read work.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com