Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rcax2>stereo mini  (Read 3123 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
rcax2>stereo mini
« on: February 13, 2005, 08:12:01 PM »
i don't remember this being addressed before.  i'm looking to build a cable that will go from mx-100>d8.  w/out using adapters and not having a taped up mess, i'm thinking i could hack this:  http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F003%5F001%5F013&product%5Fid=274%2D304 to put the r/l rcas into a sterio mini plug. is there any reason this wouldn't work? or does anyone have a better idea?

thanks       kirk
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: rcax2>stereo mini
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:59:57 AM »
Kirk:

Radio shack sells a 2x male rca > 1/8" mini stereo jack cable.  Can't seem to find it on their online catalog, but I KNOW it's at their stores.  Ed Boardman @ www.kindkables.com will make you a REALLY nice one of these too (using canare cable and real nice neutrik/switchcraft hardware)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 05:42:45 PM »
thanks,
  i already have the cable and connectors though. i'm just looking for a way to hook it up that doesn't look like shit. i remember seeing a y connector like that one used in a 7-pin build(?) and was woundering if it would work this cable. the kindkables looks nice and was how i originaly planned to make it. when i sat down infront of it all, it just didn't seem like i could pull it off and have a deasent looking cable when i was done. it'd still work, but .....

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 06:08:11 PM »
I STRONGLY advise against going that route.  Why -- you want to absolutely minimize the size/weight of the 1/8" mini going into the d8.  running rca male>adaptor/1/8" mini leaves you with a HUGE piece sticking out of the d8.  THis will screw up the d8's female 1/8" mini in, either from the shear force of its weight alone, or from the leverage provided by its bulk.

I picked up a nice low profile 2x rca> 1/8" stereo mini (with a right angle 1/8" mini connector  to further reduce the stress on that end) for (I think) $10 -- the added expense/stuff def beats the price you'd pay to get the d8 repaired when (not if, imho) its jack gets screwed up.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 06:45:38 PM »
i agree about the big hunk sticking out the d8. i was planning to just have a cable pluging into it though. i don't draw too well, but it would look something like this. assuming i do this right.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 07:01:56 PM »
Gotchya -- only problem I see with the piece you linked to is that the 2 rca connectors would share a common ground (though I guess the would on an 1/8" mini too) -- the piece you linked to is what the oades use to make their digicable, I believe it will open up easily if you drill out the little rivit in the middle.  hack an old headphone cable to provide the cable>1/8" mini portion and you could have a nice slick setup.

+t for educating me :)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 08:02:55 PM »
back atcha,

most of the time it takes a while for me explane what i mean. pix(even crappy ones) help a bit. i was planning to use left over starquad for the mini(maybe 6"-12")and g6(?-left overs once again) for the rcas. got to try again to find the thread were i saw it used in the first place.  thanks again for your support.

peace,            kirk

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 08:09:20 PM »
how about something like this.... (substitute xlr w/rca)

the cable is Mogami 2825, mini is Calrad.

marc

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »
that was basicly my original intention. i don't feel i could make a clean splice like that, so i started looking for alternatives. hacking the adapter would more or less put the splice inside a neat box. i don't have my rig set up in a bag when i'm running(some day), so i'd kinda like it to atleast look "neat&tidy" even if it tends to sprawl a bit sometimes.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com