Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69068 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
Delivery delayed by snow, but I think it will be here tomorrow. 

We've been using a DR05 plugged into the board for the same thing with the tracks spaced out as you recommend.  I suspect we can do this wirelessly on the 22wl now.

Also, I sort of wonder how much of the DR05 is built into the 22wl except for the WIFI part, but will refain from taking either one apart to find out. 

Maybe also connect the 22wl to a portable amp hidden outside at Halloween to scare some kids? 

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:48 AM »
Maybe also connect the 22wl to a portable amp hidden outside at Halloween to scare some kids?

You set your sights too low.  It's much more fun to scare little old ladies.

(OK, I'm not like that really...)

As we head for temperatures in the mid thirties tomorrow - centigrade - it's hard to conceive of your delivery being delayed by snow!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »
Can't afford the lawsuit from heart attacks.

Is there a way to listen on an android tablet to what is being recorded or can you only set levels via the meters?

Also, there is a nifty -12db green light on the 22wl, but none in Dr control app?

?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:29:20 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »
The app has indicators (not lights really, more like black squares) to correspond with the peak lights on the device - they are above the kind of orange panel of the display.

No, you can't monitor live (and I don't think that will come later, from the original blurb about the machine).  The best you can do is to record short representative bits of the soundcheck (if any) in mp3 format for rapid transfer to the app across the wifi link and replay there while the musicians are talking (or whatever, you know the typical scenario).  Or use the streaming playback facility during such a break if the link is good enough.  In my experience, streaming does work well enough on the whole for such sampling of test recordings, though you might get some buffering happening.

It's a pity that live monitoring isn't provided (which would have given you the equivalent of a radio mic system) but perhaps doing that while also recording the data on the card was simply more than the processor of the device can handle.  But I bet that most users will find themselves in the same general space as the performers with this device, and personally I find that even with reasonably isolated cans on a conventional wired system, you need to replay rather than live monitor to really establish what's going on if the performance is anywhere near you.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
Thanks.

I'm just recording choir stuff-earplugs usually work well enough for isolation.  It's not Rock N Roll. 

I was wrong about the 22wl being related to the Dr05 in any way.  The wl case is much more narrow.

Overall, it is an intriguing recorder. 

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
Hi

I recently bought one of these, my next show is a loud rock show 

I will use 9v battery box and Omni binaural microphones

I can only familiarise with the features at home before.

Is it best to use the music or loud setting - or go manual setting?

Thanks 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:30:40 PM by kylieshotpants »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
There's nothing that the presets do (eg music or loud) that you can't do yourself using the manual setting.  Off the top of my head, the loud setting simply turns down the input level to about 30 (out of 100) and turns on the 40Hz low cut filter.  Those settings might actually be a good starting point for a loud concert, and of course you can reduce the level further using the input level knob if need be.  So using the loud preset is a small timesaver, but it's a matter of personal preference whether you go the preset knob route or make your own choices in the menus on the manual setting.  Do let us know how it goes!

stevetoney

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:40 AM »
Ozpeter, I have nothing to add to this thread, except to offer kudos to you for being such a helping expert on this recorder.  I kinda did the same thing when I got the DR100MKii and I think people really benefit from knowing that there's a reliable 'go to' person for info of this kind about these recorders.  It's one of the many great things about taperssection.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »
Cheers - I just wish I could get out with it more.  Still, if I can assist in others getting more real-world experience with theirs, that's good!

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
Hey all, first post.

I am currently between the Tascam DR-22WL and the Zoom H2n.  Optimizer, I see you own each from reading threads here.  Would you try to shed some light on which would be best for my application?  I need it to take better than iPhone mic quality recordings of audio like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r9Gng3LKjI

I'll be going back to the African village shown in the images to celebrate the commissioning of the new solar water system my non-profit engineered and had installed.  These people know how to party! I want to capture their fantastic polyrhythmic percussion and dance in better definition to use in future fundraising media.  I chose these two mics because they are small, cheap and have seemingly good specs plus great features. 

What I want to capture by priority:
1) Polyrhythmic dance parties both small (20 people) and large (100+)
2) Small and large group discussions.  Ideal for remembering all said while discussing understandings in 3-4 languages
3) I'd also like to capture some southern Louisiana spring and swamp samples for personal compisitions (lower priority)

Concerns
a) Noise floor performance.
b) Which is greater:  flexible mic orientation the Zoom or  Wifi capability of the Tascam.
c) Which has higher quality

I hope this isn't a derail, I'm currently leaning toward DR-22WL.  I am not willing to break $150 at this time, most of my pennies are invested in fundraising and travel already.  I plan on getting the "dead cat" wind shield.  Any insight from anyone would be fantastic.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:18:11 PM by Esla »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
Tascam is offering a $25 rebate on the 22wl right now which brings its price to $124.99 and it includes a 4 gb card.  I do not have a zoom to compare it with.  Although I have only had the 22wl a few days, my first impression is that it may not have the battery life of the DR-05 which is $99, but I don't think it includes a card.  For the kind of recording in remote locations you posted, Wifi is not needed, and I would be more concerned with battery life. 

You don't have to spend much for a "dead cat."  You can buy some fuzzy fabric at your local fabric shop, and use some fabric glue and elastic to make your own for less than $5.00. 

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »

DIY cat is smart!  I was looking at buddles on ebay for each that include the shield and card for same retail price as on Sweetwater.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
B & H photo and Adorama Camera in NYC have each been offering bundled deals for several weeks now.  I suspect some of the ebay sellers have bought the bundles that included various kinds of headphones and are selling off the 22wl separately from the headphones they got in these bundle deals.  The thing to watch for is to figure what price you end up with which can vary depending on whether you can still use the $25 Tascam rebate. 

Although the better deal is on the 22wl instead of the 05 in my opinion right now, battery life is something to consider.  You could use a 5v cellphone battery to power the 22wl if you happen to already have an external cellphone battery.   

Offline Esla

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
I'm bringing 2 external cellphone batteries one with solar charging.  I plan on sharing them between iPhone, GoPro and DR-22WL (or Zoom H2n).  I'm off grid for 3-5 days at a time. 

In airplane mode the iPhone will hold for days unless the Tascam app eats power rapidly which it seems that it might.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:24:18 PM by Esla »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
WIFI is going to consume your batteries. 

Back at post 61 in this thread, I noted other users had reported about 3 hours of battery life when the 22wl is on WIFI.  Unless there is some very good reason why you must use WIFI for what you plan on recording, I would try to avoid it.  I haven't run mine long enough to determine what the battery life is, but ran into a low battery warning really quickly to my thinking.     

The Sony PCM M10 will run probably 30-40 hours on a set of AAs, but it is $200. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com