Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Carl and Jonny....those SOB's  (Read 9702 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Carl and Jonny....those SOB's
« on: October 22, 2006, 08:44:53 AM »
Great just what I ned something else to get caught up in.  It isn't enough that boating, golf HT, music cost me a bunch each year, but now vinyl   ;D 

I had ben saving and saving the past couple years since GM was headed on a downward spiral and just could not get myself to spluge on any new stereo equipmetn.  Well things are now loking up and I bought a used Rega P3 (used) with a new Elys2 cartridge this past week.  This sounds so damn good!

Right now I'm running the P3/Elys > Cambridge Audio Azur 640P > Kimber PBJ's > Marantz and it sounds great.

I'm waiting on the stylus force gauge, but seems to sound great right now.  I d get a little static here and there, but from many of the systems I've heard this is fairly common.  I've been wiping the LP's down with a microfiber detailing cloth until my brush arrives.  Do you guys have any tricks to cut down on static? 

I picked up a few used discs and Dylans new Modern Times (fantastic album) and now have to figure out how to buy more and more.  I've been searching ebay, acoustic sounds, and music direct.  Hopefully the forum will be able to point me to a few more goods sites to buy new vinyl.  Have a couple good used shops in the area.

Here are the pics..

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: Carl and Jonny....those SOB's
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:42:54 PM »
sorry dude :)  it's addictive.  go get the kinda blue limited edition blue vinyl 180g.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 09:47:14 PM »
I have a Spin-Cleaner that I got from Record-Rama here in PGH that does a pretty good job. For playing (after the lp has been washed) , I have been using anti-static cloth that is used to clean negatives. I give the lp a wipe down with it and I have noticed a definte reduction in static pops.

This is the link to the company that makes the cloth I have; I can't for the life of me find it on their website (I got the cloth at work)
http://minilab.net/index.html

I also use a brush to clean the needle before each spin.

This 'looks' pretty much like what I have.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=24592

edited for fat fingers
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:36:44 AM by Kyle »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
My cleaning supplies have yet to arrive, but thanks for the cloth link.  I believe much of what I'm hearing is from static electricity and when I touch the vinyl you can hear the pops.  Time to up the humidifier. 

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:32:26 AM »
I know what you mean (about those bastards).  I'm trying to figure out a way to trade in the kids and get a TT going in my house.  I'd have to move the system out of the living room to keep it safe from little maliceous hands.
The realization that no matter how much $$ I'm able to throw into a digital front end, it still sucks comparred to an entry level table..is a kick in the pants!

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:45:48 PM »
I just ordered a new P3 table and Elys 2 cartridge from our own Chris Sheperd at Eugene HiFi.  I can't wait to get it up and running.  Lots of places on the web for new vinyl.  I had a mishap with these guys but they have a great selection,  analogkaos.com.  There are lots of ebay stores w/ new vinyl too.  Check out http://stores.ebay.com/aural-exploits for a great selection of new stuff.  You can proabably poke around a find stuff cheaper or used but personally I don't mind paying full price for something sealed.  And a lot of vinyl can be had for $10 - $15 new.  Enjoy.

Shane

cshepherd

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »
I broke the seal on Modern Times last night and spun both records while cooking dinner.  I was somewhat surprised that the song "Someday Baby" didn't have credits to Muddy Waters.  I haven't compared the lyrics in the verses, but the chorus is taken directly from "Trouble No More".  Really nice packaging though.  I paid $15 for it.  I highly recommend supporting the local record stores (from a former record store owner).  If they don't have it, ask them to order it.  The more business stores see on vinyl, the more they'll bring in. 

I think the record labels should think about issueing more catalog titles on new vinyl.  You can't download this stuff.  We have to buy it at stores.  It seems like a no-brainer to me.

The P3 is a great turntable.  Don't be afraid to wrench on the cartridge every couple of days.  Tables require fairly regular tweaking to maintain optimal sound quality.

Chris 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:38:43 PM by cshepherd »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 05:35:06 PM »
sorry dude :)  it's addictive.  go get the kinda blue limited edition blue vinyl 180g.

I see the 200g version around but not the 180g... Difference?

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 06:55:31 AM »
I just ordered a new P3 table and Elys 2 cartridge from our own Chris Sheperd at Eugene HiFi.  I can't wait to get it up and running.  Lots of places on the web for new vinyl.  I had a mishap with these guys but they have a great selection,  analogkaos.com.  There are lots of ebay stores w/ new vinyl too.  Check out http://stores.ebay.com/aural-exploits for a great selection of new stuff.  You can proabably poke around a find stuff cheaper or used but personally I don't mind paying full price for something sealed.  And a lot of vinyl can be had for $10 - $15 new.  Enjoy.

Shane

I just got a disc from Aural Exploits.  Had no idea media mail took so long to ship.  They do have a good selection of stuff I'd listen to.

SC

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »

Shane

I just got a disc from Aural Exploits.  Had no idea media mail took so long to ship.  They do have a good selection of stuff I'd listen to.

SC

I learned about media mail from an order previously.  I'll gladly pay extra for first class.  MM took almost two full weeks from CA to NY

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

I see the 200g version around but not the 180g... Difference?

20g :)  get the 200g then

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »
20g :)  get the 200g then

Maybe I should try taping a quarter on the tonearm ;)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 05:02:38 PM »

whoa..
flash back to the late 1970's or even 1980.  I'm listening to Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" w/a short stack of pennies taped to the tonearm.

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
Dude, what Tweeter you at?.. I was at 0109 and now I'm at 0803 in Chicago...
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »
Portsmouth NH and Portland ME

both have nice gear.  the one in portland has a bitchin' "high end" room.  the B&K gear is not the cats ass, but the GPs, Vienna Acoustics (when they had them) and ML Ascenti's and now the newer line all sound real nice

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 09:41:16 PM »
Whoa, Whoa, what did I do  ;D

I told you, seriously nothing compares to an analog front end. Just sounds right is all I can say. There are worse things to spend money on.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 09:46:14 PM »
Actually, I would seriously blame Jonny, seriously I would, yup.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 11:15:09 PM »

whoa..
flash back to the late 1970's or even 1980.  I'm listening to Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" w/a short stack of pennies taped to the tonearm.

i shamefully admit that i adore that album.

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 11:50:42 PM »
Portsmouth NH and Portland ME

both have nice gear.  the one in portland has a bitchin' "high end" room.  the B&K gear is not the cats ass, but the GPs, Vienna Acoustics (when they had them) and ML Ascenti's and now the newer line all sound real nice

LOL I know that... -T for me... Work blocked off scervin's non avitar and put a tweeter sign in place making it look like that was, in fact, the avitar... I'm a moron some times.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 07:18:57 AM »
Actually, I would seriously blame Jonny, seriously I would, yup.

This is the best thing I've taken blame fore all day.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:58 AM »
So I found a bunch of vinyl at my parents house that I had as a kid, alot of which I had not replaced on CD, and decided to get an entry level TT to see if I am interested in getting into vinyl.  Chris hooked me up with a P1 and Fono Pre and I got them set up last night.

Wow.  I expected great sound, but I am shocked at how good the sound is of vinyl.  I thought i was just hearing it because I wanted to, so I pulled out joshua tree, CD and vinyl and went back and forth and there is no comparison.  The openess, airy quality of the vinyl is so much more relaxing to the ear.  And I swear the bass is more defined on the vinyl.  So I switched to Born to Run LP and the remastered CD that came out last year.  In this case, the CD is closer to the vinyl, but still lacking.  It was really noticeable on jungleland.  The sax solo that I thought was so vibrant on the CD sounded a little dull when compared to the vinyl. 

I think I am seeing the beginnings of why people are so high on vinyl.  Pretty amazing actually.

The thing that always scared me of turntables is setup, etc...and I have to say I love the P1 simply because of its ability to allow a dumb guy just getting into vinyl a chance to play with it without me spending hours getting set up...really cool.

And yesterday I was scouring local craigslist for other random crap and ran across a guy with a nitty gritty record doctor, new in the box, that he had been given new as a gift, but never got around to using it before he got out of vinyl, so he was selling for $150...picking that up today.  Looking forward to seeing the difference with truly clean vinyl as well!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »
Glad to hear you joining the new old school army. Frankly setting up a table isn't that hard but it does require some tools & patience but that is about it.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 08:39:11 AM »
Glad to hear you joining the new old school army. Frankly setting up a table isn't that hard but it does require some tools & patience but that is about it.

Yeah, I am sure it isnt a huge deal, but when your lazy like me, you have to have bought into the benefit before you are willing to put forth the effort to learn :P

needless to say I have bought in, hook, line.....

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
This may sound like a stupid question.... but how do you know when a needle is in need of replacement?
mics & cameras

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »
Its not a stupid question at all honestly without a scope it is hard to tell.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
After getting some real good hours in on my P3/Elys 2 setup I'm loving the vinyl more and more everyday.  I haven't even thought of playing a cd at home in weeks.  The only problem I've found in vinyl is trying not to buy too much.  I've been on a spree of sorts as of late.  And if there's one thing I've learned is this:  If they have it and you think you might want it........buy it.  Because you're going to pay out the ass for it somewhere else later on down the road when you decide you really want it.

Shane

currently spinning:  TV On The Radio  "Return to Cookie Mountain"

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »
This may sound like a stupid question.... but how do you know when a needle is in need of replacement?

fwiw:  When I had my old skool fisher (no, not the kiddie brand!) turntable+stanton 500 cart I noticed a severe degradation in sound quality as the needle wore out after a few years of heavy listening. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 02:50:42 PM »
After getting some real good hours in on my P3/Elys 2 setup I'm loving the vinyl more and more everyday.  I haven't even thought of playing a cd at home in weeks.  The only problem I've found in vinyl is trying not to buy too much.  I've been on a spree of sorts as of late.  And if there's one thing I've learned is this:  If they have it and you think you might want it........buy it.  Because you're going to pay out the ass for it somewhere else later on down the road when you decide you really want it.

Shane

currently spinning:  TV On The Radio  "Return to Cookie Mountain"

speaking of which, hit the local used shop and found a used copy of SRV Live Alive...perfect condition...$3 later it is in my car ;D

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »
This turntable while in immaculate condition was used, and so was the cart. so I have honestly no idea how long it has been used for, it is a high quality needle though so I try to avoid replacing things on a whim.

I'll prob wait until I buy a new turntable and just start over from there.  I like those Rega P3's alot...
mics & cameras

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 03:43:57 PM »

More importantly... can an old stylus damage your vinyl?

I've read that it can, so I stopped using my fisher rig until I moved onto a used P3 as well...if anyone recalls I rec'd it with a bent needle (grado gold).  Fortunately, grado sent me a new one at no charge.  The bent one skipped like crazy on my records.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

cshepherd

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »
A bad stylus can damage your records.  Inner grooves that sound muffled and distorted are the result of someone's cart that was damaged or permanently out of alignment.  P3's are out of stock until the new version comes out later this summer.  The new P3 has better tonearm wire and interconnects as well as compatibility with Rega's outboard power supply. 

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com