Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gefell Nickel diaphragm mics (mv294, 295, capsules m70, m94)?  (Read 17927 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Gefell Nickel diaphragm mics (mv294, 295, capsules m70, m94)?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
It is interesting that Neumann is still making the titanium capsule.  There must be a reason, otherwise they would use mylar, right?  Apparantly ACO Pacific (Japan?) makes measurement capsules out of titanium as well (these are used by others, such as THE, for recording).  Other companies seem to be using Nickel (Gefell) and Stainless (G.R.A.S.).

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
bump for info
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
Some measurement mics still commonly use stainless, nickel or titanium diaphragms.  I suspect one reason is to help ensure improved thermal stability by constraining capsule construction materials to those which have all have very similar thermal expansion properties, so that the entire capsule assembly to shrinks or expands in an isotropic way without varying diaphragm tension as much as might occur otherwise.  I suspect use in measurement mics may also have to do with retaining calibration over longer time frames, and/or application in environmental conditions which require such materials.

But don't overlook the influence of simple historical inertial.  Designs are tied to the materials and manufacturing techniques available at the time.  Once developed, sufficient economic incentive is necessary before it makes sense to redesign for new materials or manufacturing processes.  A new design uses currently available tech, whereas older designs retain the use of what was then contemporary but is now old tech, and economic factors determine whether those older designs remain in production as originally designed, are discontinued, or end up being redesigned.

Also keep in mind that stainless steels are alloys containing various amounts of chromium and nickel.  Metallurgically, there may not be as much difference between a "nickle" and a "stainless" diaphragm as one may imagine.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mylesgm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »

Well, I just put them on a pair of AKG 460 bodies, with a bit of brass mesh squeezed in "fill in" the outer shell/ground contacts.  They seem to sound good, but I'll need to get them in front of some music to really tell.

Richard

How did you mount the m70s on a 460 bodies?!  They don't look even remotely the same diameter or have a similar mount...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com