Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: homebrew silver interconnects vs Audio Magic Xstreams  (Read 2528 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
homebrew silver interconnects vs Audio Magic Xstreams
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »
Which wire would be more suitable for mic cables?

Judd Wire and Cable Mil spec M27500-22SC2S23 shielded cable. Produced to the highest standards in the industry. This far exceeds the quality of most audio interconnect cable and would improve any project. It it fully silver plated copper shield and main 22AWG conductors . It has a Stranded twisted pair main conductors with  teflon dielectric inner and outer covering. Great for interconnect cable and speaker internal wire.

same seller has same 22AWG but with double shield for same price....... if you went with single shield this would act as the ground correct? If you went with the double shield you could ground one and the other would only act as shielding? Or am I totally off on how to wire these up? Probably going to have a local bench guy do the soldering anyway and just fool around with the excess.....

thanks in advance for the always sage advice...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:40:10 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: single or double shield mil spec cable for mic cables?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 07:40:14 PM »
I don't know about that specific wire but the double shield wire configurations I've seen had two layers of opposing cross hatched braid directly on top of each other or there was a braid with a foil layer.  You could not isolate one shield from the other.  You simply tie the shield to ground in both cases.

Did you check if Judd Wire has an online catalog?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: homebrew silver interconnects vs Audio Magic Xstreams
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:05:26 PM »
so I kinda hijacked my own thread.

bought some of this silver cable fairly cheap and a local audio installer (thanks Dan @ DirectPro Audio) walked me through soldering up some xlrs.

The wire in the Xstreams seems to be the same as the other except 2 things> 1)one of the conductors in the AM is solid core 2) the AM had a double shield...and look how bulky they look compared to the homebrews. I'm sure you give up a certain amount of field tough protection...but I'll baby them if I can put four pairs of cables in a side pocket of the bag.

Dan mentioned he might be willing to do up some more of these for a fair price if there was interest. He did a great job ( he even put a tiny little heatshrink on the exposed shield ) and would prob heatshrink or tube most of the lenghth on future pairs
And I'm going to make up some short connects with the new Neutrik rt angle xlrs when they arrive from Markertec.
These older style are real heavy...I hope the new ones are a bit lighter.

Going to run both these cables at Wakarusa to get a sort of comparison

edit: course I forget...you guys have seen this all a thousand times already....but for those of you who have not...

if you are interested in upgrading your mic cables (and seriously decreasing the weight in the bag) you can get some of these for what I consider dirt cheap. Paid $30 shipped for 50ft of wire (you could prob get it lots cheaper if you tried hard enough) ~$5 ea for the connectors and had a local guy do the work (free cause he was super nice) so grand total for 15ft RA XLR pair + 2ft RA XLR pair + speaker cable for the stereo = less than $100. They ain't Audio Magic but they work, and very well.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:49:38 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com