Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need a cable built  (Read 6744 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Need a cable built
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 12:16:48 PM »
sure.
for that matter, you could hack a commercial 3.5mm attenuator (or any other).

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 12:28:25 AM »
I was the last failure on this cable.
my problems:

1.  BNC connectors. 
I cant' tell you how many I bought and ruined on this cable.  seems there are many different variations of BNC plugs, and they require crimping and not soldering.
I even went out and dumped $60 on a crimper for this (and other) projects.  Still can't get the right freakin' connecters.  I just dont know what i'm doing w/those.

2. opened up the 3.5mm end only to have a bunch of broken resistors fall out.  this was the home-brew attenuator.
my problem here is that i'm not an EE.  so I have no clue as to what values these have, how much attenuation they are providing...etc.
This new problem lead me to buy several books on EE basics so that I could learn how to make this.

3.  time.
I have too many projects, kids, dogs, wives..., leaving much time only for things that I know I can finish once I start.

:(

good luck.
fwiw, I have rebuilt the original cable, sans -10db pad.  PM me your addie and I'll send it back.

Do you have the resistors still?  The stripes should tell you what they are... the attenuator should be nothing more than a resistor between hot and ground I believe.

Edit: ok, a little more complicted than that, but still doable

http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/attenuators.htm

R1 comes out to ~1156
R2 comes out to ~853

Mouser stocks a metal film 1/4 watt 845ohm and 1.15k ohm resistors, so with $.50 worth of parts you should be all set if my latenight calculations are correct.

P/Ns are 271-845 and 271-1.15k respectively
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 12:48:56 AM by cheshirecat »
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
All I can say is you guys rock... I will admit I dont know squatt about the technology I use to record, I just know what gear my ears like, so I am glad someone can help out when we get this technical!

+T all around

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com