Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacement Schoeps certificates  (Read 3236 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Replacement Schoeps certificates
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
Is it possible to get a replacement cert without having to ship off my mics?  I posted this question to Redding but they are closed until January 2nd and I'm impatient.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Replacement Schoeps certificates
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
e-mail Schoeps directly.

Remember to give them the serial numbers.

They should have the original on file and, hopefully, should be able to e-mail you a scan of the original plot.

I assume you mean the frequency response curve that came with the mic?

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
No but that would be handy.  I meant the handwritten certificate that the capsules themselves are hand matched by Schoeps.
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
Ahh - OK - understod.

But I would still e-mail Schoeps directly, with the serial numbers, and explain that the original Certificate was lost/damaged and if it's possible to get a replacement.

The local Distributor would have to do this anyway.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »
I've tried and was told from Bernard (?) that they did not have it when I inquired on my set. Let me know if you find out otherwise...
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
I tried the same thing thing on a set of caps from the 90's.  They said no on a reprint of a matching cert paper.  Ending up finding the original hand written cert paper.  Ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
I contacted Redding and they said that Schoeps will send a replacement matching certificate if the pair were only a few months old.  (not the case here)

Also if the capsules were sent to Schoeps for a cleaning and servicing to put them back to original spec, and then a new Matching Certificate would be able to be purchased along with the servicing.  Probably $150-200 per capsule for that to occur.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:06 PM »
I contacted Redding and they said that Schoeps will send a replacement matching certificate if the pair were only a few months old.  (not the case here)

Also if the capsules were sent to Schoeps for a cleaning and servicing to put them back to original spec, and then a new Matching Certificate would be able to be purchased along with the servicing.  Probably $150-200 per capsule for that to occur.

yep, total bs IMO.   can understand there point to a point. i was looking for a copy of the original cert stating the sn's, matching, and date.  i wasnt asking them to confirm anything other than what is on the original certificate.  they made it sound like it would be like them confirming that my caps were still matched at this present time??wtf? they were 10 years old.  wouldnt think of asking anything like that nor would i think they would do that.  i was just looking a "real" copy of prof of matching and date of matching/sale for the new buyer of my caps.  nothing else.  guess u could get a email confirmation, but wanted a hard copy.  was pretty disappointed at the time and felt my request wasnt over the top, why r records kept then?????? ended up finding all the original shipping package, receipts,  and cert!!  im still alittle hurt :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P  ed   
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:36:11 AM »

yep, total bs IMO.   can understand there point to a point. i was looking for a copy of the original cert stating the sn's, matching, and date.  i wasnt asking them to confirm anything other than what is on the original certificate.  they made it sound like it would be like them confirming that my caps were still matched at this present time??wtf? they were 10 years old.  wouldnt think of asking anything like that nor would i think they would do that.  i was just looking a "real" copy of prof of matching and date of matching/sale for the new buyer of my caps.  nothing else.  guess u could get a email confirmation, but wanted a hard copy.  was pretty disappointed at the time and felt my request wasnt over the top, why r records kept then?????? ended up finding all the original shipping package, receipts,  and cert!!  im still alittle hurt :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P  ed   

Have you asked Schoeps themselves?

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »

My guess is while they may have been a matched pair a decade ago, they would want to verify they are still in a close range to "re-certify" them as matched.  Just a guess.  I can see your frustration- glad you found the cert. 
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:08:10 AM »
Pardon me, but the used - resale scenario is precisely why Schoeps should be reluctant to certify a pair of capsules that they haven't measured in years. Who knows what those capsules have been through in the meantime?

ero3030, you have it exactly right, but a lot of other people don't, and that's why the concern exists. People say that they don't believe in magic words, but then they turn around and act as if they do. About half the ads on eBay for arbitrary pairs of microphones--including heavily-used microphones described as "vintage"--claim that the microphones are "matched pairs". It's unfortunately up to the seller to decide what that phrase should mean, and up to the buyer to find out what the seller means by it. I suspect that it often means, "I hope I can find a buyer who is easily conned."

When responsible manufacturers use the term, it relates to their initial delivery of a pair (or larger set) of new capsules or microphones from the factory. This is true at least for Neumann, Schoeps, and Microtech Gefell that I know of. It's a serious descriptive statement, but not a guarantee of future magical protection, and it's not transferable to any other, subsequent resellers after the equipment has been used.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:15:10 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com