Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Surprised at quality of m10 preamps  (Read 7060 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Surprised at quality of m10 preamps
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
Need a few more outings with 4v but it's great to have the upgrade option
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
After a few uses, my preliminary opinion is that the Sony pre is very good for acoustically based music, not so much for loud rock. It seems to lose cohesion when running -1 peaks for rock. I'd run lower levels to try and mitigate the "effect" but according to Doug, The Sony pre is true sub 16 bits, which is gonna be way worse running conservative levels. So Doug is warm modding two Marantz 620s. The specs blow the Sony away. And a little Oade warmth will be really welcome. Until switching from 4022s to dark side I'd run either an m148,
warm mod sbm1 or a 661 warm mod. Miss that sound, no disrespect to the Sony and nbox.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:20:39 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 03:05:05 PM »
My own opinion is >>>> that after running the R-07 for a bit, i really like it for mic IN stuff (babynbox)
It is much better than r-05 and M-10. The headphone out (R-07) is WAY better than the others,
this bodes well for folks using a Sonicport for streaming, or for listening via headphones.
For very loud shows i still like the r-05. The M-10 has great sound and you can't go wrong with one
(i did 500 shows with one) But i never liked the gain wheel and the off/lock switch, this is the only reason
i stopped using one, the sound was not the problem.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
M10 preamps are excellent.  Very low noise.ADC are very good, but not quite as excellent as some other gear.

The main problem I have is with the mini 1/8" connectors.For stealth recording I often tape the connectors and level controls and all switches.Gaffers tape + hot melt glue.That's right.  Hot melt glue keeps everything in place, lol.
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
lol indeed!!

I have always kept rectangles of Gaff tape over the 2 switches on the back of the M10.

Off the subject of preamps, but on the subject of the M10...

I like having a screen protector too, to hold the broken glass in when it finally fails! I've been running the "1i" unit that cushioned the fall of a small mic stand, for over five years without the use of the LCD display and it records fine. I use my unbroken "EMTEN" machine when I need to change something in the menu, like to switch to Memory card. I do not attempt to modify the clock setting and it's about 12 minutes ahead now.

I bought a 3-pack of iPhone 4 screen protectors off ebay for 99 cents with free shipping and I cut them up for smaller screens.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com