Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Canon rebel xt eos 350d lens questions, compatability  (Read 6414 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Canon rebel xt eos 350d lens questions, compatability
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »
So I decided to make the jump and bought a new Rebel xt.  It comes with a lens, the 18-55mm Canon EF-S Lens.  I'm sure I'm going to want an upgrade fairly soon.  Recommendations on lenses that won't break me financially are most welcome.

I have a oldschool canon ae-1 with several lenses, wondering if these would be compatible or not.  Won't kill me if their not, I would still use this from time to time, but I'm sick of film and my ultra crappy olympus 2.1mp digital point and shoot.

Thanks for any and all info!  I searched around here and seems like I bought a decent camera (I bought rather blindly, an "impulse" buy).

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Canon rebel xt eos 350d lens questions, compatability
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »
a canon 70.200 f4L or the f2.8 but that one about 500 to 600 more :o.  just used the f4L at a show w/ low light and the lens was fast enough.  go down the post alittle,  i think there is a post about the simga lens and the canon lens.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:13:33 PM »
a canon 70.200 f4L or the f2.8 but that one about 500 to 600 more :o.  just used the f4L at a show w/ low light and the lens was fast enough.  go down the post alittle,  i think there is a post about the simga lens and the canon lens.  ed

Thanks Ed, I read that but I need to go back and re-read.

Any news on whether the old ae-1 lenses will work on this?

Offline adubphoto

• Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:39:41 PM »
canon 50mm 1.8 is around $100. the 1.4 is a bit better but will cost you around $300 i think. there are tons of threads in this section that describe these lenses in more detail.
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:37:31 PM »
Thanks Aaron for the info, gonna look around.

Still curious if the lenses on my canon AE-1 will be compatible.  Anyone know?

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:28:03 PM »
I think so.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:47:11 AM »

The Rebel XT uses EF or EF-S mount lenses, but the AE-1 used FD-mount lenses.  Without a modification of some sort, the lenses from your AE-1 kit will not be compatible with the XT.  Sorry.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »
check out www.dgrin.com its a good photography board and they have some reviews on different pieces of equiptment
here is the link to some lense reviews: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Reviews%20You%20Can%20Use/143178
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 10:23:13 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »

The Rebel XT uses EF or EF-S mount lenses, but the AE-1 used FD-mount lenses.  Without a modification of some sort, the lenses from your AE-1 kit will not be compatible with the XT.  Sorry.

No worries here about compatability.  I planned on buying some new lenses, was just curious as I already have 3 for my AE-1 that I really like.  Thanks for the info  :)

check out www.dgrin.com its a good photography board and they have some reviews on different pieces of equiptment
here is the link to some lense reviews: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Reviews%20You%20Can%20Use/143178

Thanks!

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 11:35:31 AM »
I'd look into the Sigma 18-200mm or 18-125mm and the tamron varieties of those lenses.  They're not the sharpest, but no worse than the canon 18-55 and they have a much better focal range.  I think they're around f/4 or so, so not really low light lenses, but good for all around shooting. 

Sell the canon lens and pick up a 50/1.8 for less than $100 and you'll have a nice sharp lowlight lens.

From there, I'd look into the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, its a great sharp lens for the budget conscious and will also work well in most lowlight situations.  Its also a great portrait lens as well.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
I would sell the kit lens new out of the box and use that money to buy a 50mm 1.8 Canon lens.  You'll have to move around or crop a bit to compose, but you'll be able to open it up to 1.8 for low light and sharper images and stop it down for even sharper images.
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 11:44:12 PM »
Thanks Ed and Sanjay!  I definitly want a low light lens asap, so I guess I'm gonna pick up a 50/1.8 this next week.  From there, I'm not sure but I'll do some checking.  Ya'll have made some wonderful suggestions and I appreciate the help  :)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 10:16:03 AM »
good luck, its another one of those fun but expensive hobbies!

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 10:48:09 PM »
I would sell the kit lens new out of the box and use that money to buy a 50mm 1.8 Canon lens.  You'll have to move around or crop a bit to compose, but you'll be able to open it up to 1.8 for low light and sharper images and stop it down for even sharper images.
I have the 17-55 kit lens and I use mine.  It is not that bad of a lens and it is a nice focal range to have.  Until you replace that focal range I wouldn't part with it.  Won't do you any good at a show unless it is daylight, but its a nice wide angle > normal lens.  Chances are you wouldn't get more than $50 for it on ebay anyway.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 02:07:06 AM »

The kit lens is really a pretty decent lens, so long as you work within its limitations.

nothing > nada > R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com