Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low pro advice  (Read 13851 times)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
Low pro advice
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
Please pm me on advice if uneasy on posting advice.
I have 12th row (close to dfc) for jimmy herring with McLaughlin. Jimmy is cool but we all know McLaughlin is a no.
I have activates but my pmd 661 is too large for a wand. What is the smallest recorder with phantom power you would suggest?
Are there any smaller rigs with quality sound equal to phantom powered mics that are a better option?
Thanks for the advice guys I really want to tape this show.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:20:13 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
Re: Stealth advice
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »
Please pm if concerned about posting recommendations.
The babynbox is a great suggestion - thanks man. Any decks smaller or less obvious/metal than the r5 & m10?
Appreciate the help guys
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:54:03 PM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Low pro advice
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »
Naint IPA / PFA   but the lead time might not work but its tiny. 

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
Consider some kind of iPhone (Android?) based system. I'm not sure what the hardware would look like, but probably quite a bit less bulky than a recorder. Figure out what the oldest model is you can use, and dedicate that with no service plan for it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:31:10 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
Consider some kind of iPhone (Android?) based system. I'm not sure what the hardware would look like, but probably quite a bit less bulky than a recorder. Figure out what the oldest model is you can use, and dedicate that with no service plan for it.

Please.  That is not the answer.   :banging head:

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 05:05:38 AM »
Please pm me on advice if uneasy on posting advice.
I have 12th row (close to dfc) for jimmy herring with McLaughlin. Jimmy is cool but we all know McLaughlin is a no.
I have activates but my pmd 661 is too large for a wand. What is the smallest recorder with phantom power you would suggest?
Are there any smaller rigs with quality sound equal to phantom powered mics that are a better option?
Thanks for the advice guys I really want to tape this show.

How about a pair of DPA 4060 with the new d:vice directly into an iPhone ?   :coolguy:

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »

I have a Shure MV-88 that i keep in my car for emergency situations. I have made a few test recordings
that weren't too bad. Not close to the Schoeps, but beats any internal mics.
http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »

How about a pair of DPA 4060 with the new d:vice directly into an iPhone ?   :coolguy:

Tech evolves, and once crapistic solutions sometimes become viable options.  I expect the DPA system will be an perfectly acceptable answer in terms of sound quality, and should be easy to stealth.  We'll find out once it is actually released.  Not at all thrilled about the radial input configuration for pocket-ability reasons, but everything else looks good excellent for this application.  As I posted in the dedicated thread about it, I'd be an early adopter if they made a 4 (or more) channel version, although I doubt that will happen.  Personally I'd suggest buying an old iphone for use with it, dedicated to recording only. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 04:59:03 PM »

I was considering the new dpa d:vice preamp (2x2 inches) for dpa microdot mics. Why do you think this is a non starter? Also considering the mostly plastic babynbox with my actives and a small deck (down side no xlr inputs).
Thanks guys getting ready for November herring and McLaughlin show.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »
That dpa round thing will be a botch to  >:D with particularly if you don't go incognito much. You've got the mbhos and actives, add an IPA or baby nbox and m10 or other little deck and you're set.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »

I was considering the new dpa d:vice preamp (2x2 inches) for dpa microdot mics. Why do you think this is a non starter? Also considering the mostly plastic babynbox with my actives and a small deck (down side no xlr inputs).
Thanks guys getting ready for November herring and McLaughlin show.

At least with dpa's the mics are good but I question the quality of analog to digital conversion quality in a phone.  It is a marginal solution at best in my opinion and a small recorder is not that hard to get in. 

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »

I have a Shure MV-88 that i keep in my car for emergency situations. I have made a few test recordings
that weren't too bad. Not close to the Schoeps, but beats any internal mics.
http://www.shure.com/americas/motiv/mv88
I'd also recommend this set up - has served me well when getting my rig past security has proved too much of a challenge.  Customer service at Shure was fantastic when I had an issue with the app as well.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
That dpa round thing will be a botch to  >:D with particularly if you don't go incognito much. You've got the mbhos and actives, add an IPA or baby nbox and m10 or other little deck and you're set.
I'm not very familiar with the ipa setup. Are my mic bodies still in the setup? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:51:55 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
I believe Jon at naiant can customize the IPA inputs  for your mbho actives. Check out the IPA page at naiant.com. It is metal though so I wonder if the baby nbox is better for passing metal detectors?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
I believe Jon at naiant can customize the IPA inputs  for your mbho actives. Check out the IPA page at naiant.com. It is metal though so I wonder if the baby nbox is better for passing metal detectors?
Looked at the site both a battery box and amp nice. They do offer mbho options also. Question does it support 2 mics or are 2 ipas needed? Yes metal but small and amp is probably better than the m10. Any phone number for Jon. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:51:02 AM by MBHOTAPER »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com