Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noob question about getting in  (Read 8282 times)

Offline OkieFromRigel4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Noob question about getting in
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:52:50 AM »
What do you do when you get to the concert and there are 10 cops each holding a metal detector? I turn around and take the mix pre and the high and gear back to the car and use the cell phone. how do you guys get into these places?
Rode SmartLav+ with my Note 8, Rode i-XY on my work iPhone7
AKG Perception 220, Sennheiser e835
(: Sound Devices Mixpre 3 :)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Noob question about getting in
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
What do you do when you get to the concert and there are 10 cops each holding a metal detector? I turn around and take the mix pre and the high and gear back to the car and use the cell phone. how do you guys get into these places?

Please respond via private message.

Nobody wants to see the hoff here.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
I usually climb up to the roof then sneak in through a ventilation duct, Mission Impossible style.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
Jedi mind tricks. 

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
Prison wallet :o

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »
button dust?  ???
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

ilduclo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
Be nice! Send this guy some suggesties via PM :alert:

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
Well I can tell you I'm definitely not sneaking something the size of a mix pre in

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
Trenchcoat method. Works every time
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
Jedi mind tricks.

This^^.

If the cop begins to ask a question hold your index finger to your lips to shhh him, give him a sexy wink, blow him a kiss and walk right past him.  Mind blown.  :zombie03:  Maybe mumble something about gerbils or sheep as you pass.  Most important part it not to break eye contact.

Okie has less than 50 posts so PM's are probably disabled.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »

hmmmmm Okie, post 45 more times and we can PM you with super private information most of us would never divulge to our mothers.    >:D   (seriously keep posting, it'll happen for you)

OK, how about past perspective. In Summer 1984 the Grateful Dead started clamping down on getting gear through the gates, however once through they weren't busting us. (stupid, read the roadies' interviews today, they didn't truly care they just busted our balls for fun!)
Soooooo. For the Red Rocks run that summer, we placed two D5's (cassette decks for you young uns) into multiple plastic baggies and put them in the bottom of a medium cooler covered with 5 lb bag of ice, food and canned drinks. (Red Rocks allowed the coolers AND alcohol in cans/wineskins etc back then) The guys wore mic cables as belts with microphones in pockets and two of our girls walked in with mic stands under their dresses. Despite all their searching, we had two rigs in and wound up DFC directly behind the SBD in the Sweet spot.
Moral: where there is a will, there is a way!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:17:29 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »

I may be mistaken but I think we can PM him, he just can't PM back until reaching the post minimum, no?

Back to Baywatch countdown..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »

hmmmmm Okie, post 45 more times and we can PM you with super private information most of us would never divulge to our mothers.    >:D   (seriously keep posting, it'll happen for you)

OK, how about past perspective. In Summer 1984 the Grateful Dead started clamping down on getting gear through the gates, however once through they weren't busting us. (stupid, read the roadies' interviews today, they didn't truly care they just busted our balls for fun!)
Soooooo. For the Red Rocks run that summer, we placed two D5's (cassette decks for you young uns) into plastic baggies and put them in the bottom of a medium cooler covered with 5 lb bag of ice, food and canned drinks. (Red Rocks allowed the coolers AND alcohol in cans/wineskins etc back then) The guys wore mic cables as belts with microphones in pockets and two of our girls walked in with mic stands under their dresses. Despite all their searching, we had two rigs in and wound up DFC directly behind the SBD in the Sweet spot.

Those were the days.  My roommate's girl friend used to strap a PCM F-1/SL2000 and nicad batteries under her skirt and waddle in.  She was a BIG girl. 

Best was the Dead at Oakland Auditorium (before it was Kaiser). Someone would go in, go to the bathroom on the 2nd floor, open the window and we would toss the backpack up with the gear.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »
Nobody wants to see the hoff here.

I was kinda hoping he'd make an appearance.  He belongs in the ts HOF.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »

Soooooo. For the Red Rocks run that summer, we placed two D5's (cassette decks for you young uns) into multiple plastic baggies and put them in the bottom of a medium cooler covered with 5 lb bag of ice, food and canned drinks. (Red Rocks allowed the coolers AND alcohol in cans/wineskins etc back then) The guys wore mic cables as belts with microphones in pockets and two of our girls walked in with mic stands under their dresses. Despite all their searching, we had two rigs in and wound up DFC directly behind the SBD in the Sweet spot.

Loaded with info.  Pick it apart and you're in.

As for bringing in a Mixpre-seems I've seen a few recordings with DPA4028>Mixpre3 and I'm certain some of those bands don't allow taping.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
The international spy museum in DC is chock full of creative spy uses for butt plugs.  Just sayin'.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 05:47:10 AM »
 >:D Stealth rigs not full rigs

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »
Well I can tell you I'm definitely not sneaking something the size of a mix pre in

My friend begs to differ  ;D

http://teamikoiko.com/2017/09/15/u2-live-the-superdome-new-orleans-la-2017-09-14/
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »

My friend begs to differ  ;D

http://teamikoiko.com/2017/09/15/u2-live-the-superdome-new-orleans-la-2017-09-14/

:guitarist: >:D Balls of steel
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »
I bet the Superdome would be easy. The crush of people and lack of care amongst the wanders was strong for dead and co.  If you had anything that would light up under blacklight was a whole different matter.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/new-orleans-jazz-fest-2018-david-frickes-favorite-sets-w519784
It was a sobering way to enter the weekend. On April 26th, the day before the 49th annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival opened at the Fair Grounds race track, the news broke around town of the death of Charles Neville, the saxophonist and second eldest of the Neville Brothers, at 79 of pancreatic cancer. Then there was the story on the front page of the New Orleans Advocate, warning festival goers to be prepared for a new security measure at the gates – metal detectors. It is now official: The whole world, including the bon ton sanctuary of Jazz Fest, is now one big airport.

But the lines at the metal detectors were easy rollin'. And on the shuttle-bus radio to the Fairgrounds on the first morning, Neville's daughter Charmaine – an acclaimed jazz singer and a Jazz Fest institution in her own right – was on WWOZ thanking the city for its condolences and encouraging everyone to celebrate her father's life the way he lived it: In Music
LOL yeah, many folks were discussing how they must have had the wands on lowest setting. On day 1, they had you put wallets, keys, phones in the bowls like TSA, on day 2 they had you hold your wallet and phone in your hand and walk through the detector. theoretically, they were to wand those who set off the detectors. I went through on day 2 with a camp chair on my back and I do not think it beeped! One guy said it was like "security theater", I call it Kabuki security.
music IS love

Offline Lucidnight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
Can some of you PM me as well?  I have had no problems getting in with pat downs and such, but am a little nervous of approaching shows involving metal detectors and wands.  Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated as I am making trips of a few shows.

I can give details of what I have in PM if necessary. 
Thanks!

Offline Fletch38blues

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
 Since the previous poster used the What’s Happening photo , could I say: Which Noobie you be as Rerun asked :  which Doobie you be?  seriously did you get any workable info on getting past security ? I was hoping to capture Dave Matthews soon.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
Since the previous poster used the What’s Happening photo , could I say: Which Noobie you be as Rerun asked :  which Doobie you be?  seriously did you get any workable info on getting past security ? I was hoping to capture Dave Matthews soon.
Dave Mathews Is taper Friendly, you should   zero issues  with getting gear in. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
Hahaha

Welcome to ts.com Fletch38blues, if'n that's your real name..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
Dave Mathews Is taper Friendly, you should   zero issues  with getting gear in.
"Dave Matthews Band allows audience members to record most live shows and permits not-for-profit trading of the recordings.[42] The band cites college students trading these tapes in the early 1990s as a key reason for their current fame.Template:Fact Up until 02-23-1995 the band allowed tapers to plug directly into the soundboard at shows but after profiteering on these often high quality tapings, the taping policy was changed to only include microphones. The band and its management also worked with the US federal government in 1996 to launch a crackdown on for-profit bootleggers, which resulted in large-scale arrests of those responsible for illegally manufacturing and selling copies of DMB material.Template:Fact To further combat bootleggers,Template:Fact the band released their first live album, Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95, to satisfy the demand for live recordings.

In recent years it has not been uncommon to see several sources per show, sometimes as many as five or more. As microphones and recording equipment have become more inexpensive and of higher quality, so has the quality of tapings improved. "
music IS love

Offline Fletch38blues

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
I’ve heard that DMB is “taper friendly” but didn’t know if the security or ticket takers would understand and comply.  I’m expecting trouble just to get a protective tube in for posters.
Thanks 🙏

Offline gewwang

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
Print out the statement on taping from their official website and show to security if they deny entry.

(I've been open taping DMB since 1998 and have never had an issue open taping any show I attended.)

https://whsec1.davematthewsband.com/join.asp?CurrentPage=TicketDetails#top

The Warehouse no longer offers designated taper tickets. Taping is generally permitted from any seat location in all venues as long as recording equipment does not interfere with clear access for other concertgoers to leave their seats and access fire aisles. Taping is limited to audio recording only and may be made only from a recording microphone being used by the taper in the audience area. Any other recording method is prohibited. When positioning recording equipment, please respect other concertgoers' view of the stage. Please review the legal policy regarding taping.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:46:41 PM by gewwang »

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks gewwang, that was what I was looking for when I wound up with their wiki info.
+T
music IS love

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com