Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some Mic/Taping Help Please  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Numbness For Sound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Numbness For Sound
Some Mic/Taping Help Please
« on: July 11, 2004, 10:48:59 PM »
Hey guys,

Before posting this topic I had a little look through the forums and searched for a while to try and get some help for what I'm looking for. Instead of helping I think it's make me even more confused ::) :P

Basically I'm trying to find a decent mic to go with my MD (Sony MZR90) to tape some shows. I'm on a bit of a budget for all this (around $200 max) and want to get what I can that'll give me decent enough recordings. I'd mostly be recording in small clubs/bars with the odd arena and outdoor concert. It'd be rock/pop music being played with some folk/easy lsitening. I have permission from most of the bands I want to tape, they're not signed and taper friendly which is great, and don't know the policy status of the rest. Also the bands I'm going to see aren't hugely well known yet so when they play people tend to chatter amongst themselves so any mic that doesn't pick up a lot of 'background noice' would be swell!

What I've come up with so far from reading the forums is the SP CMC-2's at around $120 and the SP-SPSB-6 battery pack at around $70 with the adjustable bass rolloff. Would this be an okay set-up for what I'm looking for? Or are there other mics out there that are better and around the same price?

As you can probably tell from the above choice I had been thinking of going stealth to cover all bases but decided that if there is a bigger mic that isn't stealth and will give me better recordings then I'd rather have that. I'm basically looking for something to start me off while giving the best recordings for the budget I'm on.

Also I was just wondering what suggestions there are for getting decent recordings? The first gig I'd be testing these out on would be in a small bar that can hold around 200 people. Am I best to sit downstairs near the front or upstairs at the balcony? The second is an outdoor concert in August. For it should I stand near the speakers at the front or a bit further back?

Lastly I use a Mac, I'm on Mac OS 10.3, and was wondering what software is out there for editing recordings afterwards? Adjusting volume, getting rid of any noise etc?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to all this and want to make sure I get all the info I can to make decent tapings :)

Thanks in advance,
Pauline
AKG 391s > Beyer Dynamic MV50 > JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Some Mic/Taping Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 10:54:14 PM »
the SP-CMC-2 & battery box combo would be my suggestion.  If you do get them, I would ask Sound Pros to change out the cardiod capsules for hyper cardiod caps as they'd do you more good in clubs which can be noisy and less that acoustically accomidating.

The SP-SPSB-1 battery box is a bit studier than the 6 but may run you $10 more.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 10:55:58 PM »
probably the best you're going to get at that price level. might look into the at853s (i forget soundpros model #) w/ a non bass rolloff batt box (seems debatable if the bass rolloff does vary much or anything). i personally run the cmc-2 > spsb-1 combo for stealthing.

oh yea, and i don't think it's an option for hypers with the 831s, just the 853s..could be wrong. i know the caps on mine aren't switchable.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 10:58:10 PM by Jon »
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 04:24:16 PM »
I run the SP-CMC-2s (AT831s) into the battery box with rolloff (same setup as Jon) into a JB3.  I've used them to stealth once, and they produced great results.  If you want some mp3 samples let me know.  And I don't think there's a hyper option on the 831s, either... but it wouldn't hurt to call SP.  I've always had good experiences with those guys.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com