Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Post-recording fix? R09 "noise" (likely line-in related)  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Dassarri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Post-recording fix? R09 "noise" (likely line-in related)
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:37:42 PM »
I just taped a show last night (the Killers) using Atu853s > AT8532 phantom power modules > Edirol R09 and in looking at the waveform, I have an issue which likely stems from the faulty R09 line-in that has gotten lots of attention (I've had mine since July 07 and have never had a problem like this before).
About 10-12 times through the hour and a half show, there are "spikes" of popping/digital noise for split seconds at a time. What can I do to fix this? Is this most likely because of the line-in jack or is something else going on? These spikes instantly peak and make those moments tedious to listen to, as one would likely hit the ceiling when not expecting them.
Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated! I use Cool Edit Pro for editing purposes.
ATu853s > AT 8532s > R09

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Post-recording fix? R09 "noise" (likely line-in related)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »

Find the "spectral view" option in Cool Edit.  Using that option is CPU intensive, so if you have a slower computer, zoom into the offending section first using the normal view.  The spectral view will make the bad spots light up like a Christmas tree and the noise is easier to see.   Highlight one of the spots and use the "pop/click eliminator" option to reduce/remove the pops.   The smaller the highlight area, the less damage you'll do to the music.  Play with the settings to find something that suits you, and listen to the results as you go in case it's overdone.  It's much easier to catch a problem and undo it on the spot  ;D

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com