Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK41V > Nbob > TA6 > Extension > 2xXLR > MixPre-3 (48V?) - Possible???  (Read 4336 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
I have seen some people use Nbob active cables into a Baby Nbox and then into a MixPre-3 which seems neat but...

Is it possible to go from Nbob active cables directly into MixPre-3 2xXLR like this? Not sure if I will need 48V phantom power and if the TA6 connectors can handle 48V?

See image.

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star

You will need something like a Naiant PFA or IPA to take the Phantom and power the microphones
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Thank you for your reply.

It's not possible to let the MixPre-3 phantom 48V power the mics?
The TA6 connectors can't handle 48V?

Do I really need phantom power?
The Nbox Platinum is not 48V but it still powers the mics.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a noob when it comes to these things.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
You will need the Naiant PFA it has a circuit to create the correct powering for the capsules.  You can't just use the P48 from the mixpre-3

http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/pfa-phantom-power-adaptor/
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
You need more than a microphone capsule, the cable and a power source (ie phantom power from a deck). In more typical usage, you would use the capsule in conjunction with a body, like the CMC6. The body is an amplifier, it contains the circuitry necessary to power the microphones from phantom power. With an active setup, you need something to act as the amplifier. A Nbox is one alternative - it uses 9 volt batteries. A Naiant IPA is another alternative - is uses phantom or a 12 volt battery). A Naiant PFA is another alternative - it uses phantom power from a deck.  In your picture, the TA6 might go into a Naiant PFA and the Naiant would have a cable with two XLRs coming out if.

All of these things can potentially use various connectors and get their power in different ways. Phantom power is typically how microphones with bodies are powered but its not the only way to power microphones.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:44:05 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
You need more than a microphone capsule, the cable and a power source (ie phantom power from a deck). In more typical usage, you would use the capsule in conjunction with a body, like the CMC6. The body is an amplifier, it contains the circuitry necessary to power the microphones from phantom power. With an active setup, you need something to act as the amplifier. A Nbox is one alternative - it uses 9 volt batteries. A Naiant IPA is another alternative - is uses phantom or a 12 volt battery). A Naiant PFA is another alternative - it uses phantom power from a deck.

I actually thought the MixPre-3 has an amplifier just as the Nbox. I understand now that's not the case.

So, it would be possible to use my Nbox Platinum as an amplifier? Doesn't the Nbox color the sound before it reaches the MixPre-3? As I understand things Platinum also has a built in preamp? Isn't it possible that the recording gets a bit too much coloration in the end? Perhaps that is a good thing?

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/cmc6

You are getting too focused on the term amplifier. The Mixpre does have (pre)amplifiers.    The Mixpre can provide phantom and amplify incoming signals but doesnt have the circuitry to provide the charge which the capsule requires in order to produce a signal. The amplifier in the CMC does.

Your options are )several of them at least):

MK41v + CMC > Mixpre (phantom and microphone in)

MK41v > KC5 cable > CMC > Mixpre (phantom and microphone in)

MK41v + CMC > External Pre-amp like V3 > Mixpre (no phantom, line in)

MK41v > active cable (some connector, TA6 or KCY etc) > Nbox [ 9 volt ]> Mixpre (no phantom, line in)

MK41v > active cable (some connector, TA6 or KCY etc) > baby Nbox  > Mixpre ( microphone in preumably)

MK41v > active cable (some connector, TA6 or KCY etc) > PFA  >  Mixpre (phantom and microphone in)

MK41v > active cable (some connector, TA6 or KCY etc) > IPA [ 12v or 5v ] >  Mixpre (no phantom, line in)

MK41v > active cable (some connector, TA6 or KCY etc) > IPA [ Phantom ] >  Mixpre (phantom and microphone in)

The Nbox and IPA and CMC and PFA all potentially affect the sound, yes...

Put another way, capsules cable and deck are not sufficient. You need an inline device to provide the charge which the capsule requires in order to produce a signal. That inline device may also have circuitry to amplify the signal before it exits the device. A device that does both would typically be used in conjunction with the line in of the recorder. A device that only powers the capsule would typically be used in conjunction with microphone in on the the deck. The inline device can use diffferent power sources depending on design.

A Nbox powers the capsules and provides fixed gain sufficient enough such that you can use line in on the deck. I believe a baby Nbox powers the capsules but doesnt have the circuitry to add gain.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:36:25 AM by rippleish20 »

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Thank you, rippleish20! That was actually the answer I needed.  :coolguy:

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
This what you mean? All fits into that very small pack to the right.
Easy, light, small, but still packs the punch :-) Bottom picture is babynbox
going into the Mixpre, so no need for PFA's or XLR extension. (no 48p)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:14:03 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
This what you mean? All fits into that very small pack to the right.
Easy, light, small, but still packs the punch :-) Bottom picture is babynbox
going into the Mixpre, so no need for PFA's or XLR extension. (no 48p)

That's perfect Ed. Very stealth actually. Anyway, I will ditch this idea at the moment as I would need to buy both a Baby Nbox and a MixPre-3. I will try to save that $ and buy me a pair of MK4V's. You told me that Nbox Platinum is enough and I actually belive that after listening to your recordings.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Very stealth actually. Anyway, I will ditch this idea at the moment as I would need to buy both a Baby Nbox and a MixPre-3. I will try to save that $ and buy me a pair of MK4V's. You told me that Nbox Platinum is enough and I actually belive that after listening to your recordings.

I think the best options for stealth right now are the following:

* Baby NBox into a pocket-sized recorder of your choice.
* Naiant IPA into a pocket-sized recorder of your choice.

I think the IPA is a bit cheaper than the NBox. However, last time I checked Naiant had a policy of only shipping to the US (at least for new customers). That might limit you to the NBox (which is a fine device).

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Very stealth actually. Anyway, I will ditch this idea at the moment as I would need to buy both a Baby Nbox and a MixPre-3. I will try to save that $ and buy me a pair of MK4V's. You told me that Nbox Platinum is enough and I actually belive that after listening to your recordings.

I think the best options for stealth right now are the following:

* Baby NBox into a pocket-sized recorder of your choice.
* Naiant IPA into a pocket-sized recorder of your choice.

I think the IPA is a bit cheaper than the NBox. However, last time I checked Naiant had a policy of only shipping to the US (at least for new customers). That might limit you to the NBox (which is a fine device).

Thank you! I have the Nbox Platium and it's stealth ehough for me. The reason I asked about Mixpre-3 is that I'm curious to try new things.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com