Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1  (Read 138196 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Korg MR-1
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »
Jerry says my AERCO MP-2 clips at +27dBM:
The AERCO clips at about +24 dBM which in the special case of a standard (600
Ohm) load is the same as dBv. Since the preamp can drive a 600 ohm load with
~0 loss of signal (low output impedance), the dBU (unloaded output)
is the same.

So as long as I don't go over +6dBV into the Korg, I won't have brickwalling problems, right?

Yes, for MR-1 balanced input, unbalanced is ~+3 dBv max.

Seems using a 15 dB pad at the preamp balanced output should protect against MR-1 overload clipping, or if not caring to run the preamp in that high voltage output 'cruise' mode, just use ~15 dB lower preamp gain so output is OK with MR-1. 

Using LINE input on some decks, and running really hot signal, but turning down REC level adjust avoids slamming the deck, but since no one has sent me MR-1 for bench testing as yet, can't tell you if MR-1 can handle anything over +9 dBv input specification.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2007, 06:51:15 PM »
If those are preamp gain settings, then find the setting that makes preamp's clip indicator work on loudest sounds, choosing one gain setting less as the way to go for best preamp+ headroom performance.

No such luck, the light comes on at -4db before clipping occurs (not that I can recall the pre actually clipping... I have a few clipped recordings, but nothing that I could not blame on other hardware) :(

That is if your deck can take the resulting line level without overload, and if not, consider needing a passive attenuation pad between pre and deck input so both work in their uncompromising 'cruising' modes.
The idea is to operate the preamp on signal peaks to be within 5-12 dB of it's maximum output ability, and the deck getting near its maximum input ability on those peaks. 
This is the ideal, but not ABSOLUTELY necessary to be exact, just try to get as close to the ideal as is practical. 

I have the R09 and the MR1, so that is what I am trying to find out from here @ TS LOL

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2007, 06:54:14 PM »
.... but since no one has sent me MR-1 for bench testing as yet, can't tell you if MR-1 can handle anything over +9 dBv input specification.

PM me and Ill get you mine!

Only catch, I will need a detailed no-geek description of where to run it with my Schoeps VMS02ib (some of the spec's I pasted above... Ill check my concert schedule to see if I can do with out it at all before 11/14, last show I have tickets for at this point this calendar year)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
I love my iRiver, I really do. I can power it indefinitely with an alkaline external pack, and I recorded more than 25 hours of music at this summer's festival with plenty of room to spare on the 30GB drive. Still, it's only 16-bit.

Now you can get a 64GB
http://www.sandisk.com/OEM/ProductCatalog(1320)-SanDisk_SSD_UATA_5000_18.aspx

Anyone know if the above is compatible and if so is it an easy exchange? What's the difference between SATA and UATA? I guess the MR-1 can take any 1.8" SSD drive in any capacity at long as it is 1.8"?

I think UATA is Ultra ATA or Ultra Parallel ATA. I believe this is a different protocol from SATA or Serial ATA.

But that Travelstar drive which is reportedly the original OEM drive MR-1 is also UATA. So in theory you could just swap in one of these SanDisk UATA SSD "drives".

Let us know how it works.   ;)

Can anyone who's opened one of these confirm whether the drive can be easily swapped? I know SSD would be nice, but I need 80GB to be able to record 25-30 hours at higher resolutions. Any help would be cool.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »
.... but since no one has sent me MR-1 for bench testing as yet, can't tell you if MR-1 can handle anything over +9 dBv input specification.

PM me and Ill get you mine!

Only catch, I will need a detailed no-geek description of where to run it with my Schoeps VMS02ib (some of the spec's I pasted above... Ill check my concert schedule to see if I can do with out it at all before 11/14, last show I have tickets for at this point this calendar year)

Thank you for kind loan offer.  PM sent with questions and direct TEL/email contact for working out FedEX shipping schedule. 

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »
Has anyone had problems with a "Disk Fragmentation Error" On the MR1.. Ran the unit one night with no problems... The next night, mid show" someone pointed out the unit had stopped recording and it was displaying a disk error... restarting didn't help.  I hooked it up to my laptop and the computer could see the drive but any attempt to access it caused my computer fits. (it a PC thing) Now since I can't get to the data on the MR-1    I guess   I need to format it via the menu.. (and loose two shows) Any Ideas??
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2007, 03:10:40 PM »
You should follow one of the many disk recovery threads and see where that gets you....

Do you delete shows off that disk or do you let them accumulate and reformat when it gets full?  Just wondering because of the error.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2007, 10:57:04 AM »

My MR-1 is locked up.  I ran it last night for Tea Leaf Green, all was fine.  Got home hooked is up with the USB,  then when I ejected it from my computer, it said "system error", now, it just says "working...."

Anyone? 
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
Is there a hardware reset pinhole? I'm at work so I can't look now but I vaguely remember a blurb bout this.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »
Is there a hardware reset pinhole? I'm at work so I can't look now but I vaguely remember a blurb bout this.

There is, yes.  I called Korg support and they told me to use the reset button.  I reset it and not it seems fine.  Sorry for the panic folks.

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2007, 01:42:04 PM »
Didn't this happen to someone else recently and Korg said something like "we've never heard of a lockup"? (which is hard to believe)

Offline diggrd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »
Mine locked up and will not reset. I recorded Dylan 10-5-07 and was listening to it on the ride home. The battery was real low then the screen blanked and it has stayed that way since.
Korg said to bring it to the nearest service center and have them look at it. If I knew it was a HD failure I'd pull it apart and consider my options but I would think firmware would bring up an error message or something even without the HD working.
So I'll take it in and fall back to the JB3 for the shows I have coming up.
EW-SR77 > MR1000
EW-SRO > PS-2 > MR1
SP-CMC-4U(AT853U) > BB > JB3

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
just plug it in over night.
the battery is dead.  it will come back to life.

Offline diggrd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #328 on: October 12, 2007, 07:38:22 AM »
just plug it in over night.
the battery is dead.  it will come back to life.
Been plugged in for days and still nada
Actually it is just the screen that doesn't work I can still record but I can't navigate the menu to make any changes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:48:01 AM by diggrd »
EW-SR77 > MR1000
EW-SRO > PS-2 > MR1
SP-CMC-4U(AT853U) > BB > JB3

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #329 on: October 12, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »
thats weird.
mine did the same thing w/the battery was totally dead.  plugged in overnight, back in action.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com