Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question about Mic Stands  (Read 2671 times)

Offline AlphaDoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Question about Mic Stands
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »
I am very new to concert taping, and I am in the process of assembling a rig.  I will be doing some live events outdoors this summer such as Bluegrass and Folk festivals and I'm wondering what type of model of mic stands folks on here use.  In most cases I will have to schlep the stand from the entrance into the grounds and beyond the sound booth, so weight is an issue, but I understand that if the base is not solid and heavy enough, the stand could fall over in a whiff of wind.  Any thoughts about both stability and portability?  I do not need a boom, jsut a straight up stand.  Thanks.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Question about Mic Stands
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
Believe it or not, you're not the first to ask about stands... fortunately, the tech doesn't really change and there is a search function...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
I am very new to concert taping, and I am in the process of assembling a rig.  I will be doing some live events outdoors this summer such as Bluegrass and Folk festivals and I'm wondering what type of model of mic stands folks on here use.  In most cases I will have to schlep the stand from the entrance into the grounds and beyond the sound booth, so weight is an issue, but I understand that if the base is not solid and heavy enough, the stand could fall over in a whiff of wind.  Any thoughts about both stability and portability?  I do not need a boom, jsut a straight up stand.  Thanks.

I just bought a used impact light stand over at B&H Photo and Video for $20.  Build quality is pretty similar to the Bogen stands, as is size/weight, but a lot cheaper. 

Unless you are using huge mics, any of the models will do.  I would look for air cushioned and be sure the footprint stays reasonable.  Also assuming you are doing outdoor festivals, I'd think you need at least 10' of height, but since that's not really my game, I'll let those who do chime in.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »
For outdoor festivals on grass, invest in some tent stakes to secure the stand.

Offline AlphaDoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, most of the tapers I have seen at outdoor festivals use a very tall stand with at least 10' of clearance.  I haven't noticed though whether they use stands with the round flat bottoms (heavy) or more of a tripod base.  I am a photographer and use tripod based light stands, but they only reach about 6 -7 feet and they are fairly light.  The idea of tent stakes is a really good one, although a lot of tapers set up on tarps in order to keep all their gear clean. 

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
I use a 15 ft stand for outdoor festivals.  Small Clubs and bars I use a little Manfrotto Light stands that goes about 6.5 ft.  Works good and is very compact.

As far as being in the grass . . Tent Stakes are the best way to go, if you do end up using a tarp I have seen people use sand bags to weigh them down.

Good luck and hope to see you out there!

Jeff
Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com