Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone dying... need some help  (Read 1439 times)

Offline AlphaQuam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microphone dying... need some help
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »
I ran into a problem the other night recording a show.  After getting home and listening to the tape, I heard what sounds like static in the background.  It sounded like someone was bumping my stand while rubbing fabric against the mic at the same time.  Sometimes it's prevalent... sometimes it's non-existant.  It was only in one channel so I figured it was just a loose cable; poor setup on my part.  However, after testing with different cables and different preamps, it's quite obvious that it is the microphone.  Does anyone know what might be causing this?  I removed and reattached the capsule, making sure it was on nice and tight... but there was no improvement.  I'm sure I'll have to send it in for repairs... just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this problem and might be able to shed some light on what it actually is and what might have caused it.

Thanks.  I have Audix M1290HCs.  The other mic seems to be working perfectly... they've both been doing great up until now.
Audix M1290HC > Edirol UA-5d > JB3

Offline kingnerd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Keep on truckin' in the free world.
Re: Microphone dying... need some help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 09:24:05 PM »
Here is a post that I put in today.  Read the section on fixing one of the C4 mics:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47481.0

The guy who I talked with at Studio Projects said that his mics would get rumbles sometimes when he toook them from a cold garage to a warm house.  Then he would just pop the caps into the stove at 150-200 for 3 minutes and that would fix it.  Sounded sketchy to me but it worked. 

Also, don't blame me if you burn up a set of caps in the stove.  The only reason I tried it was because he had already sent me a new set of caps.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com