Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 106562 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »
First of all, I'm not a self-appointed anything; I simply volunteered to manage the FAQ and the card survey since things like that are fun for me.  I called you out because I found the way you were dealing with Tom to be really over the top.  I don't think he was giving you some sort of company line or stock answer, but simply answering to the best of his knowledge based on the information he has.  You didn't get the answers you wanted because he didn't have them, and I think you really were pretty aggressive and pushy.  It wasn't necessary.  Incidentally, he's not coming back.

That's your opinion.  Others have already said stated that they disagree that Tom has been treated poorly.  In my opinion, nobody has been aggressive and pushy with Tomuo, other than the we fact that we haven't simply accepted 'use cards on the list' as the only response...inquiring minds want to know more.  The only thing I told him is to explain to him in black and white why his responses weren't holding water for me and asking for more.  I also said in another post that, as of right now, my unit is a piece of shit to me.  As this saga unfolds, that might change, but right now it's a paperweight since I have 0 trust in in. 

...and your comment above only states what you THINK Tomuo knows, but you don't know any more than I do.  You don't have a clue what information Tomuo knows or doesn't know.  Can you read minds?  In fact, I think he's holding back because, as others have already suggested, I think it's part of Tascam's risk management strategy.  (While encouraging, don't you find it even a little bit 'strange' that they're finally asking for people to send in cards today?  Why wasn't this or something similar the response on Day One?)

Finally, if my use of the words 'self-appointed' seemed offensive, they weren't intended to be.  I understand that you volunteered to lead the way...just as I've stated I'll do so on the Zoom F8 (I'm still writing my review, but it's going slow and I've grown weary since it's taking so long).  I thought they meant the same thing.  Either way, it was meant as a compliment and a 'thank you', which I think I stated somewhat in my initial reply.

The majority of the angst I see is simply confusion/nonacceptance regarding the logic of his responses.  The response has been that cards aren't fast enough and slow down over time, but that just doesn't make sense given that the cards work in other units.  Clearly the throughput of data is fine on a DR680 that has 8 channels, so using the same card, the throughput of data on a unit with 4 channels can't keep up, even sometimes when it's only being used in 2 channel mode?  It's not logical...so frankly, lacking a technical explanation for what's happening that accounts for this phenomenon, I just really have a hard time believing that this is simply a card issue.  I attempted to find out if buffering was at the source to perhaps help better understand why the card speed response made more sense, but that didn't go anywhere.

I'm not sure how write buffer's work, but I assume it's analogous to 'cache' memory on a hard drive which allows hard drives to operate alot faster because the drive doesn't have to spin idle while the computer searches for free sectors to write to...the computer writes to the cache memory instead.  Perhaps it's just another memory chip that fills up with data as it bottlenecks while the unit is searching for free sectors on the SD card. 

Again, I think Tom's answer on this was satisfactory, in that he stated he doesn't have access to design docs and isn't an engineer.  The statement of "cards slow down over time" absolutely makes sense if you understand how flash memory works and physically degrades over time.  The cache memory on a HDD isn't as direct an analogy as you may think, because a HDD doesn't physically degrade in the same way as flash memory.  A HDD can certainly develop bad sectors, but generally with good disk management the performance of the disk overall isn't going to degrade all that much unless it's an extreme situation.  This is not the case with flash memory - when things start wearing out (and they will), you will start to see performance degradation on a more global scale.  SSD drives employ "wear leveling" to help combat this, but SD cards do not. 

If the buffer memory on the 70D is significantly smaller than that of the 680 or other multichannel recorders, then to me it's quite logical that the 70D is thus more "picky" with memory cards because cards because a device with a larger write buffer will be able to better compensate for the reduced physical performance of older and/or new but lower-performing cards that now have fewer good sectors to write to.  That problem is amplified when recording multiple simultaneous data streams as is the case in audio recording.  This is just a theory on my part, but I'd say it's a plausible one.  Remember that a card's rating from the manufacturer is based on burst reads/writes; not continuous streams of data.  Therefore a card may perform like a Class 10 in a DSLR, but absolutely suck wind in an audio recorder because of the difference in how it's being used - even if it's brand new.  That's where media testing becomes important, and where I think Tascam should have had a good list of tested cards ready to go out of the gate upon product release.

That wasn't hard for you and I to do was it? 

I don't know squat about how computers work, but if you and I can come up with that 'analysis' over the course of a taperssection conversation as a possible explanation for what's going on, is it REALLY too much to ask for Tascam (not necessarily Tom, but if he doesn't have the answer someone else should) to be able to also provide some degree of explanation for what's going on with this unit to get the hounds off their back?  Who knows if the above is a valid line or reasoning.  Thus far, we haven't been able to get Tascam to tell us or even suggest a willingness to try, but them requesting a look at a card seems a step in the right direction.

I both agree and disagree.  You're right...this point has already been made and there's probably nothing new to discover here.  But to me, this is pretty much the whole reason people are balking at the 'stock response' being given.  Refer above to my comments about how, without additional explanation, that it's not logical if the data throughput on much larger capacity units is fine and this one isn't.  All Tascam needs to do is provide a logical explanation and answer the 'why' question and people will back off.  People aren't stupid (especially here where lots of us are technical minded people that like to know how things work) and right now, without additional information, the responses being provided aren't jiving with logic.

I have no idea what the bold statement above means.  What does card capacity have to do with data throughput?

Also while I somewhat agree with your "people aren't stupid" statement, I think a lot of people here may have just enough rope to hang themselves with, and I'm including myself in that.  I will fully agree however that Tascam needs to look into this more closely and respond with their findings.  Tom's suggestion of sending in cards with errors seems to be a good first step in that direction.

Agree.

Honestly, I don't know what card capacity has to do with data throughput. 

What I meant was that if an 8 channel recorder can write 8 channels of data to a card, but the same card bogs down or won't work in a 2 or 4 channels unit, when Tascam says that the card is too slow to work in the DR70D, that's not a logical response without additional information...people have asked WHY from the beginning.  But Tascam's inability to provide the answer to the why question, IN MY OPINION, in the entire reason this firestorm has continued.  Maybe the buffer is the additional info needed...I don't know.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:50:44 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »
(While encouraging, don't you find it even a little bit 'strange' that they're finally asking for people to send in cards today?  Why wasn't this or something similar the response on Day One?)

I don't find it strange at all. Day One only had one report of glitches. As far as Tascam was concerned it might just be a one-off. As more reports came in it became obvious that it was more than an isolated incident. Still too early to do anything more than guess at a cause until more info becomes known. Sending cards to Tascam and filling out voltronic's questionaire/survey are great ways to get more data which should make it easier to find the cause.

Comparing the DR70 issue to the Sound Devices/Windows10 issue I think the current time-frame wrt the DR70 is still speculation analagous to the SD/W reports of it happening only when cards were placed in an external reader. Only with more time and more reports was it found that it could happen when the card was still in the SD unit for a transfer to the computer.  Only at that point did the MS employee (who happened to be an SD owner also) ask for cards to be sent in so the engineers could see what was actually happening to the cards. Took a few days for them to find out SD was using a MS reserved space that MS hadn't used before W10.

There has been one reply that I'm aware of that Tascam has gotten back to someone so a "glitchy" card can be mailed. It'll take a few days to get to Tascam before the engineers even have a chance to look at it, then most likely a few more days (minimum) to try to correct whatever the problem is, provided that the source can be found.

What I see is a few disgruntled users expect instantaneous results. Unfortunately the real world seldom produces innstantaneous results. From the viewpoint of an interested observer without a DR70 in the gear locker I hope the engineers can find the source of the glitchiness whether it be a data bottleneck, poorly tested firmware updates, firmware updates incompatible with MS updates or even the DR70 causing accelerated "wear" of secure digital media.

I still haven't seen anyone reply to Noah that they have had glitches on a card that is on the "approved" list. In light of that it actually looks like the answer to the problem really is "use a card on the approved list" as much as everyone is bitching about that "canned" answer. As to the marketing statements that it works with x, y and z it appears it really does work with x, y and z as long as you use the particlar x, y and z that are on the approved list.

< At least Tascam is doing some testing of cards and hopefully will update the approved list to add at least the three cards Tom mentioned a few pages back. I'm familiar with manufacturers not updating their "Qualified Vendors List" and not replying to inquiries about updates to the list - in my case I have a v1.0 motherboard with a M.2 SSD slot. The QVL has 24 specific models on it with many from vendors who don't market in the US. Over a year later and the motherboard is now up to v1.4 and the QVL still lists the same 24 specific models - no updates and no response from any/every email I could find on their site and calls to tech support get the same "canned" answer - use one of the products on the QVL. frustrating is an understatement >
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:34:57 PM by flipp »

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #377 on: October 01, 2015, 01:11:04 AM »
159 views on GS and this is the only response so far - and that from Jim Williams:

Only one bad file, batteries might have been at the end of life using AKG460B mics. Fresh batteries on the second set were all ok. Otherwise, perfect so far.

So, either (i) no one on GS bought the machine, (ii) they aren't having problems, or (iii) they don't care to respond if they are having problems. 
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline jcb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2015, 07:39:06 AM »
Here is the list of approved cards from the web site of Tascam Europe :
http://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/DR-70D_TestedMedia_EN.pdf

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »
Here is the list of approved cards from the web site of Tascam Europe :
http://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/DR-70D_TestedMedia_EN.pdf

Wow - the plot thickens!

My cards are on this approved (ahem - "Tested Media") list...!

stevetoney

« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
(While encouraging, don't you find it even a little bit 'strange' that they're finally asking for people to send in cards today?  Why wasn't this or something similar the response on Day One?)

I don't find it strange at all. Day One only had one report of glitches. As far as Tascam was concerned it might just be a one-off. As more reports came in it became obvious that it was more than an isolated incident. Still too early to do anything more than guess at a cause until more info becomes known. Sending cards to Tascam and filling out voltronic's questionaire/survey are great ways to get more data which should make it easier to find the cause.

Agreed with basically everything in your post Flipp.  What I was referring to above with my strange comment is that, after falling back on the 'card list' response for quite some time, it seems Tascam might be acknowledging that there is more of an issue here and they're looking a little deeper.  But you're right...they wouldn't have reason to unless alot of people came forward with a problem, which takes time.  I do note that when notified of an issue, Sound Devices proactively attacked the issue to identify, validate, and resolve it pronto instead of, as a first strategy trying to pass it off, but it's also been noted that Tascam isn't SD so better late than never.

I don't know if you've read all of the responses, but the gist of the complaint is that, without additional information, alot of people aren't buying into the response that this is simply a card issue.  Maybe that seems counterproductive but I've laid out in previous responses why people are skeptical of this response.  Additionally, someone has stated that apparently Tascam has used this same 'strategy' on another product that was finicky with media only to come out with a firmware update later that solved the issue...I'm not sure if this is true or not.  So trying out a bunch of higher priced cards before getting a higher level of confidence that it will absolutely address the issue...well I've got backup recorders so I'm holding off spending the money pending reports by others...you know why pound shit down a rat hole.  In the meantime, I've been trying to be active and productive in solving the more basic reason this unit is having a problem...my suggestions lead to the start of the database.  I also came up with the concept that buffering might be the issue.  Finally, I tried to probe the Tascam rep with direct questions.

But yeah you're also right.  Until a case is built that the cards on the list either work or not, there's a big question mark about where this is going. 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »
Again, I think Tom's answer on this was satisfactory, in that he stated he doesn't have access to design docs and isn't an engineer.  The statement of "cards slow down over time" absolutely makes sense if you understand how flash memory works and physically degrades over time.  The cache memory on a HDD isn't as direct an analogy as you may think, because a HDD doesn't physically degrade in the same way as flash memory.  A HDD can certainly develop bad sectors, but generally with good disk management the performance of the disk overall isn't going to degrade all that much unless it's an extreme situation.  This is not the case with flash memory - when things start wearing out (and they will), you will start to see performance degradation on a more global scale.  SSD drives employ "wear leveling" to help combat this, but SD cards do not. 

Are you sure about this?  I am virtually certain that modern SD cards, at least those from reputable companies, implement wear leveling.  SanDisk has been doing it for more than decade, I think.  Even if you assume no wear leveling, however, SD card sectors can do several thousand write/erase cycles before failure.  That's equivalent to writing/erasing the card daily for years.  I have no doubt that cards fail, and that they will all fail at some point, but I think the probability that card wear is the issue with so many people/cards experiencing problems is vanishingly small.

If the buffer memory on the 70D is significantly smaller than that of the 680 or other multichannel recorders, then to me it's quite logical that the 70D is thus more "picky" with memory cards because cards because a device with a larger write buffer will be able to better compensate for the reduced physical performance of older and/or new but lower-performing cards that now have fewer good sectors to write to.  That problem is amplified when recording multiple simultaneous data streams as is the case in audio recording.  This is just a theory on my part, but I'd say it's a plausible one.  Remember that a card's rating from the manufacturer is based on burst reads/writes; not continuous streams of data.  Therefore a card may perform like a Class 10 in a DSLR, but absolutely suck wind in an audio recorder because of the difference in how it's being used - even if it's brand new.  That's where media testing becomes important, and where I think Tascam should have had a good list of tested cards ready to go out of the gate upon product release.

I would say that if the buffer is too small to record audio (if that's the issue in the first place), that is a de facto design flaw in an audio recorder.  I wonder if that type of problem would be fixable with firmware?   

With respect to the bolded, these things are usually classed by sustained write speed.  A lot of people use SD cards to record HD video, which is not only continuous, but also considerably more data than even four channel 24/96. 

Interesting to see that a number of class 2 and 4 cards are on the European website.  That would seem to imply that these issues (buffers and write speeds) are not the problem...

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »
Does the DR-70D have the facility for a FULL format of the card, like the DR-40, (It takes a long time) ? If so, has anyone tried it, or can you only do a quick format ?

Has any one tried a full format in a computer, followed by a format in the recorder and has it helped ?

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
When I filled out the survey I responded as two channels, I remembered last night that I actually recorded channels 3&4 at -6db as a backup.  Interestingly enough going back to the safety tracks the same glitch appears at the same time.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:32 AM »
^ That is interesting!  It kind of suggests that the glitch occurs prior to the SD card, doesn't it?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #385 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Does the DR-70D have the facility for a FULL format of the card, like the DR-40, (It takes a long time) ? If so, has anyone tried it, or can you only do a quick format ?

It does now - I think this was a new feature in added in the most recent firmware update.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rn_vd.pdf

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #386 on: October 01, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
I actually recorded channels 3&4 at -6db as a backup.  Interestingly enough going back to the safety tracks the same glitch appears at the same time.

So it would be further evidence in the case if glitches occurred across all four channels when inputting four, or only across all four when it was two plus backup.  Any experiences?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #387 on: October 01, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »
I actually recorded channels 3&4 at -6db as a backup.  Interestingly enough going back to the safety tracks the same glitch appears at the same time.

So it would be further evidence in the case if glitches occurred across all four channels when inputting four, or only across all four when it was two plus backup.  Any experiences?

I think we've seen problems under just about all combos - this just adds another scenario.

I beginning to think there is something about their reformatting routine that is causing the card to get corrupted or slow down prematurely.

Wondering if the slower "ERASE FORMAT" function is going to help?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #388 on: October 01, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Since its conventional taper wisdom - (going back to the JB3) - to make a media reformat for each outing.

Maybe all reformatting is not the same? (despite the term)

We have owners of other Tascam recorders mentioning how much slower the reformat function is on their device.

Perhaps the routine use of the "Quick Format" function is leading to the problems.

Gotta wonder - we tapers probably use the reformat function more than most users. Might explain why this vector of users is having problems.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #389 on: October 01, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »
Has anyone reported similar problems with the DR-60D when recording 4 channels , and is that model fussy about cards ?

I've had a DR-60D (mkI) for over 1.5 years now and I've been happy with it.  Haven't used it quite as much as a few other decks in my stable, but running 4 channels into it and no glitches to report with any of the SD cards I've thrown at it.  And I never bothered to check the approved media list.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com