Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 101086 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »
^ Wow.  Just... Wow.

Just heard from Tom today.  The media list on Tascam Europe was fixed today.  It was determined that the one that was there was for the DR-100mkII.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »
Just heard from Tom today.  The media list on Tascam Europe was fixed today.  It was determined that the one that was there was for the DR-100mkII.

D'oh!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
Unreal.

They are denying that they have heard about this from more than two people. They admit that I have contacted support about this issue but claim that only one other user in the entire world has done so.

On September 29, 2015, the business provided the following information:
TASCAM has been an industry leading manufacturer of high quality yet affordable

multitrack recorders for over 40 years. There are times when the technology used in

the development of such recorders provide capabilities that are out in front of other

related products. In the case of the DR-70D, our initial tests on available media

(specifically SDXC media) has shown that they are not meeting the stringent

requirements of the unique recording capabilities of the DR-70D. The issue is not the DR-70D hardware but the available SDXC media.

Current tests are revealing a number of cards that do seem to meet the necessary requirements. Once all tests are completed, an updated list which includes the acceptable cards will be posted on our website.

Just for the record, of the thousands of DR-70D recorders we have sold since November of last year, outside of Mr. Scharff, there has only been one other user contact us (and that was today) concerning SDXC media.

https://sanjose.app.bbb.org/complaint/view/443623/c/h68r4v

Well, although there has been significant discussion on this site, I don't know whether any of the other members with problems actually contacted Tascam about them.  Perhaps we should submit the survey results to Tascam as a work in progress.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline voltronic

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 06:53:11 PM »
You mean the survey with only 25 respondents and only 11 reports of problems?  Pretty weak evidence.  If this problem really is widespread, then there should be a lot more people reporting it on the survey and/or contacting Tascam about it.  Until that happens, it's just going to look like a few isolated incidents.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
You mean the survey with only 25 respondents and only 11 reports of problems?  Pretty weak evidence.  If this problem really is widespread, then there should be a lot more people reporting it on the survey and/or contacting Tascam about it.  Until that happens, it's just going to look like a few isolated incidents.

Where has this survey been posted? Just here?

I think you are over-estimating the reach of this site...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
You mean the survey with only 25 respondents and only 11 reports of problems? 

Roughly half of the respondents report problems...that seems significant - even with a small-ish sample.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 07:21:05 PM »
Unreal.

They are denying that they have heard about this from more than two people. They admit that I have contacted support about this issue but claim that only one other user in the entire world has done so.

On September 29, 2015, the business provided the following information:
TASCAM has been an industry leading manufacturer of high quality yet affordable

multitrack recorders for over 40 years. There are times when the technology used in

the development of such recorders provide capabilities that are out in front of other

related products. In the case of the DR-70D, our initial tests on available media

(specifically SDXC media) has shown that they are not meeting the stringent

requirements of the unique recording capabilities of the DR-70D. The issue is not the DR-70D hardware but the available SDXC media.

Current tests are revealing a number of cards that do seem to meet the necessary requirements. Once all tests are completed, an updated list which includes the acceptable cards will be posted on our website.

Just for the record, of the thousands of DR-70D recorders we have sold since November of last year, outside of Mr. Scharff, there has only been one other user contact us (and that was today) concerning SDXC media.

https://sanjose.app.bbb.org/complaint/view/443623/c/h68r4v

Well, although there has been significant discussion on this site, I don't know whether any of the other members with problems actually contacted Tascam about them.  Perhaps we should submit the survey results to Tascam as a work in progress.

How would Tascam know how many people tried to contact them since they admit there is a problem with their website contact form?

Email support : the form on this webpage is currently broken:
http://tascam.com/contact/support/

don't fill it in!  It currently generates an auto-response, but doesn't forward the email to our internal system.

For customers in the US, email us directly at custser@tascam.com
For customers in the US needing to send in a unit for repair : contact@teacfactoryservice.com
For customers in the US, and worldwide who are willing to pay for international shipping, needing a part to do their own repairs : parts@teac.com
Phone support for US customers: 323-726-0303 ext. 617 (M-F, 8am-5pm Pacific)

For customers outside of the US, start here: http://teac-global.com/   and follow the links for your country/language.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:23:19 PM by flipp »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 07:28:16 PM »
^ Did you even follow the link in that post you referenced?  If you actually look at said form, it clearly directs you to the customer service email address.

That said, it's ridiculous that the form is still not fixed.  But the email address is right there, so reason to not use it.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
I did contact Tascam about my 70d, they directed me to the sd card list...
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline morst

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »
was that today?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
^ Did you even follow the link in that post you referenced?  If you actually look at said form, it clearly directs you to the customer service email address.

That said, it's ridiculous that the form is still not fixed.  But the email address is right there, so reason to not use it.

If you meant did I click on the email link, no I didn't; if you meant did I read the post I linked, yes I did and then edited my post and copied the email addies.

My point is if non--TSers tried to get in touch with Tascam via the broken form, Tascam would have no record of the attempted contact (unless someone read the logs and even then it might not appear since it doesn't get forwarded); thus their only one other person has notified us of the problem may not be accurate.

I also recall seeing another email address posted: cusserv@tascam.com At the time I thought it was probably a typo but now am not so sure.

In the meantime the DR70 is no longer on my short list of 4channel recorders. If/when the engineers identify the problem and issue a patch/fix via frimware update I'll add it back to my list. At the moment the R44 is the leading candidate but due to some recent dental expenses my pocketbook tells me all 4channel recorders are on hold.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
Hmm...just noticed my camera's card is one of the approved/tested cards (SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB)

I've filled it maybe 3 times - about a 3 months old.

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
was that today?

no, this was a couple weeks back. the last email i received from them said if i needed a warranty claim i could send it in. i didnt follow up
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

stevetoney

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
Unreal.

Hang in there Morst.  At first I thought the filing was crazy, but seeing their response, more of the same bullcrap.  If nothing else, hopefully it'll steer more and more people like Flipp away from buying Tascam products in the future.

Offline morst

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
Hang in there Morst.  At first I thought the filing was crazy, but seeing their response, more of the same bullcrap.  If nothing else, hopefully it'll steer more and more people like Flipp away from buying Tascam products in the future.
thanks, under most circumstances, I wouldn't expect that a BBB filing would be the shortest path to a solution, but as individual consumers, we only have so many avenues. I really just want the thing to do what they say it can!

Alas, this is not most circumstances. This is personal.

My master of the opening set from 2015-07-07 is unusable. I know Tascam ain't on the hook for my decision to run without 4-channel backup, so they don't owe me anything financially for that one... but they do owe me some truth, I think the FTC still requires statements to be factual. Yup.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising

Truth In Advertising
When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com