Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 101989 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
^ Agreed that it's long past time for this discussion to have a thread of its own.  Maybe something called SD Card Performance under the Recording Media board.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jcb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »
It should be better if all comments and questions regarding cards performance go to http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175071.0 so that this thread can go back to its real aim : discussing the Tascam DR-70D.
Thanks

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
I think the discussion is cards here is helpful.  1.  I'd like to know why the list of approved cards is so short?  2.  I'd like to know why some cards in the same model family pass while others apparently fail.  3.  I'd like to know what it is about the 70d that causes it to be "selective" about cards compared to my 60d, for example, which doesn't seem  the least bit picky about cards. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2015, 02:35:58 PM »
I think the discussion is cards here is helpful.  1.  I'd like to know why the list of approved cards is so short?  2.  I'd like to know why some cards in the same model family pass while others apparently fail.  3.  I'd like to know what it is about the 70d that causes it to be "selective" about cards compared to my 60d, for example, which doesn't seem  the least bit picky about cards.

Maybe, but if we're discussing the performance of SD cards on their own regardless of what recorder / device they're being used with, then that probably is best done in a separate thread as jcb has done.  If we're talking about how a particular card performs in the 70D specifically, then that would make more sense to discuss here.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »
I just updated my firmware to V1.11, put in a new Sandisk 16GB SDSDUP-016G approved card and set up my mics.  Loaded up the house CD player with some Jerry Garcia Band and hit record.  It's a weekend test house party here !!

Hey John.  Here's a potential timesaving tip for you.  If you have another recorder besides the DR70D, set it up so that it's recording directly from the mics, then set your DR70D to record the output of the first recorder.  Once you've recorded a couple of hours of music, load both files into your DAW and compare the two on the same timeline.  If you have any issues, I think you might see that the length of the files are different.  If not, then they'll be close to the same length. 

On my DR70D, when it had problems, there was digi-noise but it also missed a small amount of music, so there would be a mis-match between the two files in that case.  I found this to be a less cumbersome method of checking for issues on the DR70D files than listening closely to two hours worth of music all over again.

Thank You for that idea Tonedeaf,  I'll will try that on round 2 of testing.  Round 1 went perfect.  No issues with the card or firmware update.  It seems Tascams have some sort of issue when they are released.  The DR2d has the issue with going below 65/95 on mic/line input and the DR680 has the issue with auto select voltage on the Tekkeons and overheating but once we get thru the initial issues, they seem to be pretty reliable.  When they work, they do sound pretty good for value line recorders. 
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

mfrench

« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
Stupid question coming,....
warning issued.

How do you activate the onboard mics?
I can't find it in the menu.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
warning issued.

You can only use them on Channels 3/4...

So - under "INPUT" you have LINE, MIC, MIC+PHANTOM...pick MIC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:38:46 PM by Life In Rewind »

mfrench

« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
Thank you.  I'll give it a try. 
I don't intend to use them. But, the question came up when I was talking to another recordist over the weekend, and I was stumped.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
Thank you.  I'll give it a try. 
I don't intend to use them. But, the question came up when I was talking to another recordist over the weekend, and I was stumped.

They aren't great - but useable...better than nothing in a pinch...seem to handle spl good enough.

mfrench

« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »
I figured they were at least workable.  I was actually speaking to the other recordist, and a musician, and that is where the question arose.  My only other onboard-mic recorder is the R09, and its automatic. I figured it was a mix of menu tricks, but couldn't find how in the manual, and didn't want to start changing settings before the show.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
warning issued.

It's on page 20 of the reference manual if you need further help: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rm_vb.pdf
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

mfrench

« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
Maybe my manual is different, but, page 20 is a troubleshooting page, and makes no mention of mics of any kind.

thanks for the link. The manual in the PDF is totally different than the one that came with my unit. My unit manual has far less pages to it (22 pages in english), and different layout.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:42:27 PM by m0k3 »

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »
For whatever reason Tascam has an owner's manual (11-19-2014) and a reference manual (8-25-2015). The info you seek is in the reference manual , which has a lot more detailed info.

Apparently the info is on page 13 of the owner's manual and does not specifically mention the term "built-in mics" while the reference manual does.

ETA: I see you figured it out. I guess they needed time to figure out all the functions.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:49:53 PM by hoppedup »
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

mfrench

« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »
Confusing, to say the least.
I've still not been able to get the internal mics working, but, have not put much effort to it, as I've got some more pressing things going on this afternoon.  I'll dig in this evening and see if I can get it figured out.

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
warning issued.

MENU > BASIC > INPUT 3/4 : MIC
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com