Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 102112 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #360 on: December 01, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
I had intermittent issues with a card not on the approved list.

Since buying an approved card, I've had no issues.

Has anyone else had problems with cards from the approved list?

I'm still upset that the rep who had been frequenting these parts was run out of town.

You can find him on other forums easily...

Since we've only had a list of approved cards since Oct...the jury is still out...since the trial has just begun!

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #361 on: December 01, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Did anyone else notice that the new DR-701D has card issues right out of the chute...?

Check the firmware update notes - "Fixed a problem where some SD cards did not report the correct size after ERASE FORMAT."
===================================================================
TASCAM DR-701D Release Notes Updates

Maintenance items
V1.01 fixes

Fixed a problem where some SD cards did not report the correct size after ERASE FORMAT.

Fixed a rare problem where noise could be present in a recording at 96kHz and 192kHz.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:29:23 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #362 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
And the list of "approved" cards for the 701d is....

http://tascam.com/product/dr-701d/downloads/

:o

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #363 on: December 01, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »

It may have been asked here way back but I don't remember:

Have any other Tascam recorders been released to market with a recommended media list right away?  Or has that always followed much later, as I think it did with the 70D?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #364 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »

It may have been asked here way back but I don't remember:

Have any other Tascam recorders been released to market with a recommended media list right away?  Or has that always followed much later, as I think it did with the 70D?

FWIW, Zoom issued their initial list for the F8 as soon as they started shipping units.  Only issues I can tell with that list so far is that even though they claim that the F8 works with cards up to 512gb, there are currently no 512 or 256gb cards on the list. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #365 on: December 01, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
I'm still upset that the rep who had been frequenting these parts was run out of town.
Bah, Tomuo was an un-helpful corporate apologist. And thin-skinned, taboot!  :facepalm:

Good riddance.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #366 on: December 01, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »
Bah, Tomuo was an un-helpful corporate apologist. And thin-skinned, taboot!  :facepalm:

Good riddance.

yeahyouright morst.  :smash: :coolguy:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »

Good riddance.

Was Tom's departure from this discussion (and board) premature?  Sure, I'll give you that.  Does Tascam's customer service in general have some serious problems?  Absolutely, it does - and I've called them out on it here and in direct emails to them (which were never replied to).  And the 70D has given some people problems, for which I imagine this has been pretty frustrating, as is the general lack of communication from Tascam about it (now that Tom is no longer here, anyway).  They aren't winning any customer service awards in my book, even though still I enjoy using my 70D which has been mostly problem-free.

But the fact that you two are celebrating that Tom was driven away from this board and are high-fiving each other for it?  Sad and trollish.  Why are you still on this thread, anyway?  You're not contributing anything helpful to the discussion.  Instead, you jump on here every time someone brings up an issue and call for product recalls or a grand inquisition.  Since the Tascam rep isn't here anymore to read those, what's the point, other than your own self-gratification?  You know full well that the things you're asking for have zero chance of ever happening.  I get the need to vent your frustration, but it's really starting to get old and tired - someone please change the record.  Some of us here want to actually talk about using this unit, and to help each other figure things out even when we have had some very serious disagreements (such as Tonedeaf and myself).  If you aren't even using the 70D anymore, maybe it's time to move on.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #368 on: December 02, 2015, 05:07:28 AM »

Good riddance.

Was Tom's departure from this discussion (and board) premature?  Sure, I'll give you that.  Does Tascam's customer service in general have some serious problems?  Absolutely, it does - and I've called them out on it here and in direct emails to them (which were never replied to).  And the 70D has given some people problems, for which I imagine this has been pretty frustrating, as is the general lack of communication from Tascam about it (now that Tom is no longer here, anyway).  They aren't winning any customer service awards in my book, even though still I enjoy using my 70D which has been mostly problem-free.

But the fact that you two are celebrating that Tom was driven away from this board and are high-fiving each other for it?  Sad and trollish.  Why are you still on this thread, anyway?  You're not contributing anything helpful to the discussion.  Instead, you jump on here every time someone brings up an issue and call for product recalls or a grand inquisition.  Since the Tascam rep isn't here anymore to read those, what's the point, other than your own self-gratification?  You know full well that the things you're asking for have zero chance of ever happening.  I get the need to vent your frustration, but it's really starting to get old and tired - someone please change the record.  Some of us here want to actually talk about using this unit, and to help each other figure things out even when we have had some very serious disagreements (such as Tonedeaf and myself).  If you aren't even using the 70D anymore, maybe it's time to move on.

Are you happy with this "doorstop" DR-70D, voltronic?

Tascam = corporate thieves

Why don't they take these faulty units back and issue refunds?  Because they are thieves, period.  :smash:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #369 on: December 02, 2015, 08:00:48 AM »
Did anyone else notice that the new DR-701D has card issues right out of the chute...?

Check the firmware update notes - "Fixed a problem where some SD cards did not report the correct size after ERASE FORMAT."

Maintenance items
V1.01 fixes

Fixed a problem where some SD cards did not report the correct size after ERASE FORMAT.

Fixed a rare problem where noise could be present in a recording at 96kHz and 192kHz.

Let see...brand new recorder that has issues similar to the previous one right off the bat...

Does anyone find it weird they had problems with the erase format and the SD card?
Do people find it weird that NOISE IS A PROBLEM ON RECORDINGS at  96kHz and 192kHz?

Is this a coincidence that the new and old recorder have similar problems?
Meaning SD card problems from erase format...
Noise on recordings...

Comments?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:09:08 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

stevetoney

« Reply #370 on: December 02, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »

Good riddance.

Why don't they take these faulty units back and issue refunds?  Because they are thieves, period.  :smash:

My opinion, which nobody asked for, is that you're all right.

Without people constantly bitching Tascam will remain complacent and they'll never improve their shitty customer service.  I could care less if you do it here, as long as you don't dominate this thread, which IMHO you haven't.  Morst and Capnhook, I say keep bitching if you want to bitch.  A separate thread highlighting their rotten customer service would be awesome and put even more light on the subject.

Voltronic, you're also right that it's repetitive to keep bringing it up, but they were just responding to the comment that resurrected the concern about Tomuo no longer being around here, which is also repetitive. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:32:27 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #371 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:26 AM »

Maintenance items
V1.01 fixes

Let see...brand new recorder that has issues similar to the previous one right off the bat...

Does anyone find it weird they had problems with the erase format and the SD card?
Do people find it weird that NOISE IS A PROBLEM ON RECORDINGS at  96kHz and 192kHz?

Is this a coincidence that the new and old recorder have similar problems?
Meaning SD card problems from erase format...
Noise on recordings...

Comments?

There's a phrase that fits that I won't post.

The odds of any 70d user who has had or is aware of the "approved card" issue with the 70d isn't likely to buy the 701d, especially for $599 and particularly when there does not appear to be any list of approved cards.  I spent several hours trying to track down an approved card for my 70d.  IMO the list is short and the cards on it are pricey.  None of my other devices are picky about cards.   At this point, I'm not buying anything else from them until they publish any approved list of cards beforehand. 

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #372 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:22 AM »
Lets not forget - from the get go - they had the WRONG LIST posted on the DR-70D page...for almost a YEAR!

Before I bought - I checked it - and found my two Lexar cards...combined with the general good reports about the DR-60D - that made me buy.

Don't they at least owe something to all the suckers that bought cards based on the WRONG list!!!!??
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:38:22 AM by Life In Rewind »

stevetoney

« Reply #373 on: December 02, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
...and as long as this thread has taken this turn, I'll bring up some past Tascam history which is the original source of my complete loss of confidence in Tascam product support...

They released the DR100 (not mkII) with a low voltage cut setpoint that cause the unit to run for a very short time on phantom power from internal AA batteries before it would cut out on low power due to the fairly rapid drawdown in voltage when the unit was pulling the highest current.  They issued a firmware update to the DR100 which fixed that issue.

They then released the DR100MKii WITH THE SAME ISSUE but without the firmware update!  They were informed AT LEAST four times by me that users would like to have the same update made for the DR100MKii.  I never received a response, and even though they issued firmware updates, they never fixed this issue.

This seems to be a broken record theme with this company.  Rush the next generation version out the door without concern for addressing the design warts on the previous version.

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #374 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:03 AM »

Good riddance.

doorstop? little dramatic, don't you think?

ummmm i've had no issues with my deck and have never used an approved card from their list, not sure why you are getting so worked up about a deck you don't even own.

did someone from Tascam kick your dog?

you guys act like Tascam makes products specifically for tapers.  newsflash, we are a ridiculously small portion of their target market.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com