Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best CD/DVD cleaner?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Best CD/DVD cleaner?
« on: May 03, 2006, 10:11:40 PM »
Hi folks.  What cd/dvd cleaners have you used that actually worked?  Is there anything that will actually fix small scratches, or is removing fingerprints and the like the best I can expect from these products?  I've seen several in local electronics/computer stores, all from say $5-$35, and all about the same thing. You squirt some magic fluid on the disk, and either wipe it with a cloth by hand, or put it in a little case with a crank on the side that does the same thing.  Is there anything better, before I spend my $20? thanks.

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Best CD/DVD cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:55:09 AM »

I have used the hand crank thingy and it worked OK for a heavily scratched DVD that would skip pretty bad.  It takes quite a while to crank it through and then hand polish the surface of the disc though, and I could never get the disc polished back to the 'factory look'.  Are your small scratches preventing the disc from playing correctly?  If not, I'd say copy the disc to a new disc.

There are also "audiophile" type cleaners, but I haven't used any of those -
http://www.vhaudio.com/cdtreatment.html

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Best CD/DVD cleaner?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »
I managed a used CD/DVD store for a few years and we had basically a 1/4 horse bench grinder set up to have two muslin buffing wheels on it. used one wheel to put on wax (jeweler's wax for plastic surfaces) and the other wheel to take it off. worked like a charm, but it does take some time to figure out how to do it without melting the disc (which is VERY easy to do).
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com