Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 106276 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2015, 10:58:37 PM »
As I recall, we both had to figure out the right gain settings on the 60d for our Canon camcorders in the 60d thread.  It's that same thing except someone was smart enough to figure out how to use the slate as a reference tone on the 70d. 

The slate gets you a fixed reference point on the 70d that you can match to your camera gain settings before you start recording for real so you don't have the camera running say 15db hot relative to the 70d.  If you were low setting gain on the 70d XLRs and then corrected it with the camera gain get too high, you'd have a good chance of brickwalling the audio recording on your camera during the actual recording.  Adding the slate tone to a recording you're going to use for real without matching gain on the camera wouldn't help you avoid running the risk of brickwalling or having levels set too low, either, on the camera. 

In one sense, there are three variable gains:  the XLR gain, the camera out gain, and the camera's own gain.  By matching the camera out and camera's own gain, hopefully, you have reduced the variables that might mess you up to only the XLR gain when it comes to actual recording.   

Setting aside the matter of gain matching for a second, if you're just going to use the audio recorded in the camera and be done, the slate tone is in the way if you actually use it as a slate during the actual recording in my experience because I have to go in and edit it out. 

I sometimes run multiple cameras and there's no slate on the ones not connected to the 60d.  An old fashioned clapper board would give a better reference on all of them simultaneously for sync purposes.  I have yet to use the 70d for an actual video recording.   

For the 70d not to pass any signal at the lowest setting is a huge defect, IMO too.
I did have issues with my cannon at first and almost sent the 60d back
Turns out though that the cannons input was to noisy compared to the 60d out
Once I dropped the cannons gain down and raised the 60d I have been great.
The slate might have helped me with that but I'm not sure because I wasn't peeking over -10 or so to begin with
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
Cannons can indeed be quite noisy  ;D

Dave

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »
FINALLY got around to running my 70D yesterday. Works great. Pretty easy to use. I think I like it better than the DR-680. I'll probably run the 70D a few more times and unless I discover something I don't like about it the 680 will go bye bye.

Can't beat it for $200 ($150 net after selling Sound Forge).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
I recently had a chance to run my DR-70d for the first time in the field as well. I had a few weird things happen. Nothing disastrous.

1st one was I had to set the time and date when I initially fired up the deck. I had done so the night before the show. The deck has been sitting in storage for at least a month since I last powered it on. I assume there is a battery that retains the time/date setting and after sitting for so long it lost it's charge? If so, no biggie, I'll know for next time to attach the deck to power a day or two prior to a show.

2nd one was I had 48v engaged after I had set up the stand and mics at the show and made sure I had levels from the SBD and the AUD mics. Powered down the deck as there was quite a bit of time before the band hit the stage. When I fired up the deck when the band was taking the stage I was *not* greeted with the "Engage" phantom prompt for channels 1&2 (my AUD mics, obviously). However, the little indicators to the left of the meters showed (falsely) that 48v was enabled. I had a quick moment of panic as I was not seeing levels from the mics and thought I had fried the mics. I went in to the menu and disengaged and re-engaged 48v and then all was fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

FWIW, I'm still on firmware v1.10. 

And lastly I also saw the "Mix" indicator and didn't realize that referred to the headphone monitor and had a moment of panic thinking I was recording both stereo pairs to a single 2 track file. Fortunately I was able to d/l the user manual and figure out what was really going on.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »
I recently had a chance to run my DR-70d for the first time in the field as well. I had a few weird things happen. Nothing disastrous.

1st one was I had to set the time and date when I initially fired up the deck. I had done so the night before the show. The deck has been sitting in storage for at least a month since I last powered it on. I assume there is a battery that retains the time/date setting and after sitting for so long it lost it's charge? If so, no biggie, I'll know for next time to attach the deck to power a day or two prior to a show.

2nd one was I had 48v engaged after I had set up the stand and mics at the show and made sure I had levels from the SBD and the AUD mics. Powered down the deck as there was quite a bit of time before the band hit the stage. When I fired up the deck when the band was taking the stage I was *not* greeted with the "Engage" phantom prompt for channels 1&2 (my AUD mics, obviously). However, the little indicators to the left of the meters showed (falsely) that 48v was enabled. I had a quick moment of panic as I was not seeing levels from the mics and thought I had fried the mics. I went in to the menu and disengaged and re-engaged 48v and then all was fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

And lastly I also saw the "Mix" indicator and didn't realize that referred to the headphone monitor and had a moment of panic thinking I was recording both stereo pairs to a single 2 track file. Fortunately I was able to d/l the user manual and figure out what was really going on.

Go check out the 1.11 firmware, which corrects an issue where changed settings aren't retained after powering down.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »

Sometimes mine would skip the 'Ch.1 phantom on--are you sure?' dialog box, or wouldn't display it until I pressed the data button, then would show it for Chs. 2, 3 and 4. Lately it turns on normally. In either case, I think the phantom power is turning on OK. Firmware is v.1.11, which may have improved the situation, not certain yet.

Dave

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »
Tomuo,

I noticed the backlight setting only works when running off of internal AA's. I'd like to see it implemented for when running off of bus power as well. I'd also like to see the backlight come back on for the specified amount of time set in the menu upon a key press while in hold mode (unless backlight is disabled outright) like the Sony M-10. Specifically I'd like it to be the data wheel depress as it is big and easy to find while fumbling in the dark and also so I don't accidentally hit a transport button and stop the recording if I forget to flip the hold button on.

I know wanting the backlight feature enabled while being bus powered seems counter-intuitive, but as I'm sure you know many of us are powering these in the field using external USB batteries for extended runtime.

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2015, 10:18:35 PM »
When you change the input levels using the four knobs, are the changing level values displayed numerically, or does it change the levels without telling you what the actual levels are?

I'm trying to figure out whether you can match its four channels very closely, beyond what you could do by eyeballing the meters.

On the DR-680, when you change the levels, it displays the values in 1 dB steps. It also allows ganging channels together, which I don't expect the DR-70D does.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline voltronic

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:09 PM »
When you change the input levels using the four knobs, are the changing level values displayed numerically, or does it change the levels without telling you what the actual levels are?

I'm trying to figure out whether you can match its four channels very closely, beyond what you could do by eyeballing the meters.

On the DR-680, when you change the levels, it displays the values in 1 dB steps. It also allows ganging channels together, which I don't expect the DR-70D does.

This was discussed in Part 3 if the thread I believe, and a lot of this is also in the FAQ:

The levels of each channel are only displayed graphically.  The highest peak value of all 4 channels is shown numerically in the lower right.  There is no per-channel numeric readout; you have to eyeball it.  There is no ability to gang channels together either.

All of these are things many of us here consider issues that can easily be fixed by a firmware update, which is why they are in the Update Requests section of the FAQ.  Personally, I consider the metering / display the #1 issue that needs to be addressed.

Gain changes in 2dB steps, and is displayed as such on screen (but remember your only seeing the current highest peak value of all active channels).  I found through testing that when moving a gain pot, the level is changing in 0.5dB increments.  Tom, our Tascam rep here confirmed that the gain actually settles into 2dB steps once you stop moving the pot.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
Thanks!

Until we can reliably set identical levels on all four channels, we can't recommend it for use with TetraMic.

And the four-channel ganging function would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:00:22 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2015, 11:07:45 PM »
Thanks!

Until we can reliably set identical levels on all four channels, we can't recommend it for use with TetraMic.

Ok...I know which mic not to buy...thanks!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2015, 11:19:55 PM »
Thanks!

FWIW, I find I can match channels on the 70D a bit easier than I can on a Zoom H6 for instance.  I do wish it had ganged controls though, and there's no reason I can see that they can't make it happen.

As a mic manufacturer, maybe you'd get a bit more traction than the rest of us here if you contacted Tascam and explained why you'd like to see this feature implemented to allow products like yours to be more easily used with it.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
Stupid (likely) question coming out of frustration that I can't figure this out on my own. I've been perusing the previous 3 parts of this thread to no avail, so here goes...

I was hoping someone might run through the settings I should have on my DR-70D, recording with a pair of Line Audio CM-3's (p48) and usb power. My experience since purchasing the Tascam is that channels 1 and 2 appear to be recording with the levels 'locked' together, i.e. I am not able to control the levels independently.

Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline voltronic

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »
Stupid (likely) question coming out of frustration that I can't figure this out on my own. I've been perusing the previous 3 parts of this thread to no avail, so here goes...

I was hoping someone might run through the settings I should have on my DR-70D, recording with a pair of Line Audio CM-3's (p48) and usb power. My experience since purchasing the Tascam is that channels 1 and 2 appear to be recording with the levels 'locked' together, i.e. I am not able to control the levels independently.

Check the FAQ page (linked in my signature) which has the information you need.

The channels are definitely NOT linked, though I wish we were able to gang channels together - it's one of our top requests for a firmware update around here.  Maybe what you're seeing is that you need to move each knob somewhat more than you'd think to get a level adjustment - that's because of the digital level moving in 2 dB steps, with no tactile feedback to the knob.  But each channel definitely has independent level adjustment.

On the FAQ page there's a "recommended settings" section that goes through the most relevant things in the menus.  The only things not there I'd maybe mention is that when you plug in your USB battery, be sure to select "USB Power" on the screen the pops up.  You'll know you're running off of the battery by the little USB icon in the top part of the screen.  Also, if you're just running the one pair of mics, make sure you disable recording for the other channels, or you'll be making an extra file of silence along with your music.   Last thing is to be sure to update to the 1.11 firmware if you haven't already, otherwise you may lose some changed settings after powering down.  Apologies if this is Captain Obvious material...
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:31 PM »
Definitely not captain obvious material, but I'm still missing something, as I've resourced the FAQ, adjusted as per the recommended settings, as well as your other suggestions. I'm updated to v 1.10 and though I'll be updating before my next concert I don't believe that's the issue.

What if I said that I can turn the pot on ch.1 all the way down and the pot on on ch.2 all the way up with no difference?

I'm definitely missing something, and truth be told I'd prefer it to be a head slap issue.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com