Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power-hungry V2?  (Read 23146 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re: Power-hungry V2?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 03:15:45 AM »
Now almost positive the battery cable was the problem. I borrowed a friend's SLA and cable and run on it for four hours tonight without a shutdown.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
Cool...  That can be so frustrating.

I think many of us take our aging, years old, cables for granted.. Not just power, but audio.

It's always a good idea to once in a while do the "wiggle test" on all your cables with the rig setup and recording.. In the middle, on the ends, etc.  And then review the waveform for any blippage.

But sometimes too much heatshrink, etc, on a cable can actually make it more fragile than if it didn't have it (beacuse it can act as a lever and concentrate force). And a wiggle test may cause a cable to fail.

In your case you had a high current draw/short, so a wiggle test might not have revealed it.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
This http://www.ebtechaudio.com/swizzdes.html is a great $75 investment for anyone who works with audio.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
Now almost positive the battery cable was the problem. I borrowed a friend's SLA and cable and run on it for four hours tonight without a shutdown.

While it's impossible to definitely determine the battery cable is the problem - since the battery and battery cable were both swapped out at the same time -- I suspect you're right.  Cables are relatively cheap.  Have another made up and then try switching back to your Tekkeons.  I sure wouldn't want to keep using those SLA bricks!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »

While it's impossible to definitely determine the battery cable is the problem - since the battery and battery cable were both swapped out at the same time -- I suspect you're right.  Cables are relatively cheap.  Have another made up and then try switching back to your Tekkeons.  I sure wouldn't want to keep using those SLA bricks!

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't pass the scientific method  :) I'm fairly convinced just because two different Tekkeons (different models bought at different times) failing at the same time blows my mind.

Gonna get a cable and hope to return the SLA ASAP! I frequently walk the few blocks downtown to tape shows with my rig, and that's not happening with the extra 10lbs or whatever it is  ;D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
I had two SLA's fail after five years of use, and they failed within a few months of each other. These things don't last forever!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
If you want, I have a brand new 6v/7.2a SLA that I got sent from B+H for free ??? They missent it to me. But its yours if you want it!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »
If you want, I have a brand new 6v/7.2a SLA that I got sent from B+H for free ??? They missent it to me. But its yours if you want it!

Oh man, that's awesome of you to offer, but a friend gave me a SLA when this problem started, so I'm good. Thanks!

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
The problem returns  :-[ Have been running a brand-new SLA for the last few weeks, with a newly made cable for it. At about 3 hours usage the other night I noticed the V2 had shut down at the end of the show. Turned off the power and then turned it back on successfully (only lost 1 minute of music this time). When I got home I tested the battery and it still showed mostly full  ???

It's failed with 3 different batteries and 3 different cables at this point, I'm thinking the problem is with the V2 itself. I'm not technically-minded, so this is really confusing me.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »
Might be time for a trip to Grace!! 

The problem returns  :-[ Have been running a brand-new SLA for the last few weeks, with a newly made cable for it. At about 3 hours usage the other night I noticed the V2 had shut down at the end of the show. Turned off the power and then turned it back on successfully (only lost 1 minute of music this time). When I got home I tested the battery and it still showed mostly full  ???

It's failed with 3 different batteries and 3 different cables at this point, I'm thinking the problem is with the V2 itself. I'm not technically-minded, so this is really confusing me.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »

I had a similar problem with my V2 a few years ago, it kept shutting down with almost fully charged 6v SLA's. After talking with a tech at Grace, it was determined that the V2 just needed to be re-calibrated.
They sent me a PDF with the process. Basically there was a couple of potentiometers inside that needed to be adjusted. I believe one set the low voltage threshold that would shut the unit off.

I'll look and see if I can find the PDF file for ya.

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
Found it on their website..... http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v2_voltage_cal.pdf

Edit to add...They had quoted me a price to do the re-calibration, I do not recall how much it was, but I do recall thinking that it was a reasonable fee.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:44:36 PM by JD »
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
Found it on their website..... http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v2_voltage_cal.pdf

Edit to add...They had quoted me a price to do the re-calibration, I do not recall how much it was, but I do recall thinking that it was a reasonable fee.

Thanks! I've got a buddy who's good with this kind of thing so I'm going to show this to him and see if we can DIY it.

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »
I just sent mine in to Grace for 75$  plus 15$ s/h, and got it back in about a week.  They performed a bench test and calibration, also PSU update(whats that?), and electrolytic caps replaced...  They were very communictative and nice to deal with.  I bought mine used, and this made me feel better to get a clean bill of health. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:50:35 PM by markrsmith »

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
I just sent mine in to Grace for 90$ and got it back in about a week.  They performed a bench test and calibration, also PSU update(whats that?), and electrolytic caps replaced...  They were very communictative and nice to deal with.  I bought mine used, and this made me feel better to get a clean bill of health.

Hmm, that's probably something I should do, but money's tight, so hopefully my buddy can get it working for me short-term, and I'll send it in for the full service later when I have more cash.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com