Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Delete start of files in multitrack keeping sync  (Read 5542 times)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: Delete start of files in multitrack keeping sync
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
Pro Tools has a "tab to transient" feature and perhaps this will be in the new Pro Tools | First that will be free.
Samplitude now has that feature in the audio quantization wizard. Mentioned here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/samplitude-1012.htm
It seems to have been added with Version 10 of Samplitude.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
I've done some searching and reading here but haven't found anything helpfull so I'll try the direct approach.

I do most of my recording on an Edirol r4-pro 4 channel recorder.

Most often 2 stereotracks, usually 1 soundboard and 1 room microphones

The Edirol limits filesizes to 2GB for each stereofile which means it starts a new file every 55 min or so (doing 24/96). Not a problem since they are easy enough to append afterwards. I use Adobe Audiotion 3.0

I often have to start recording well in advance of the concert start so I often have large chunks of silence at start of files. Since most shows have more than one set there are usually several files from each show that have long sections of silence. Especially when I can't/won't go to the recorder to stop/start during breaks.

Sometimes this adds several GBs to a long show with multiple breaks. This adds up real fast to a huge amount of wasted data.

The board and mic files are obviously in sync and I want to keep them that way. At the end of files I just use delete selection in Audition 3.0. Doesn't really matter if I delete a millisecond more from one of them. It's really hard to do that perfectly at the start of files though. Even if I zoom in so that I can select exactly from 0.00.000 to (for example) 10.00.000 to delete 10 minutes it is not always the filesizes match afterwards. They are usually off by a few to a few hundred bytes. Granted a few bytes in a GB file  doesn't really matter but it seems like there must be an exact way to do this.

The obvious way would be to do it in multitrack where I should just mark one selection for all the files and delete it there. There's even a function edit -> insert/delete time that looks like it should do the trick. And it does in the multitrack view but it doesn't change the original files in edit view

I guess a way to do this would also help in deleting selections before encores, while still keeping sync, as well.

Anyone know a way to do this in Audition? If not are there other software that does this?

If the R4 will let you record 4 mono tracks, you will get twice as much record time before the file split. Half as many track joins in post.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »

Anyone know a way to do this in Audition? If not are there other software that does this?

Audition will let you do this from multitrack.  Once loaded in the multitrack window you can delete at a common point across all the tracks.  When you save the project and close you then should save the changes to the component files as you close those (make sure they're copies of the master until you're sure all is right!). 

OTOH I think it is easier to flip your time scale to samples then just note the sample you delete at.  When you do the additional files just cut at the same sample.  It's a much easier workflow and less processing on the computer.  If you edit with the scale on a time base it is very hard to be consistent across tracks.  With the scale in samples you can be sure you're in exactly the same place. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com