Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Mic Alert - AKG C314  (Read 3698 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
New Mic Alert - AKG C314
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »
Looks like AKG is releasing a new mutli-pattern microphone called the C314. It reminds me of the older C414 with just 4 switchable patterns and a pad switch.  It seems like it will sit between the c214 LD card and the newer c414 8 pattern mic.

AKG C314

at 1499 a pair it seems like a steal....

peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: New Mic Alert - AKG C314
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
It's a pimped-out 214.  I prefer the 414 XLS sound, to be honest.

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
I just stumbled across a listing for this mic and was curious if anyone had heard/used one.  Retail looks to be $699.

It appears to use the same capsule as the 414, but offers fewer patterns (card, supercard, omni, fig8).  I'd love to have a Blumlein option...  The 214 is a fixed card and might use a different (cheaper?) membrane.

Employing the same 1" dual diaphragm capsule as their popular C414 XLS, the C314 Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone from AKG is geared towards a variety of miking applications for project and professional studios as well as on stage. Its dual capsule provides for 4 selectable polar patterns; cardioid, supercardioid, omnidirectional, and figure 8, while its internal circuitry assures a low level of self noise. An overload detection LED lets you know when you are distorting the microphone, while the -20 dB pad and bass-cut filter at 100 Hz allows you to adjust the sonics based on the source.

• 4 Selectable Polar Patterns
  • Low Self Noise
  • Overload Detection LED
  • Computer-Matched Diaphragms
  • Integrated Capsule Suspension
  • 20 dB Attenuation Pad and Bass-Cut Filter
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
I just stumbled across a listing for this mic and was curious if anyone had heard/used one.  Retail looks to be $699.

It appears to use the same capsule as the 414, but offers fewer patterns (card, supercard, omni, fig8).  I'd love to have a Blumlein option...  The 214 is a fixed card and might use a different (cheaper?) membrane.

Employing the same 1" dual diaphragm capsule as their popular C414 XLS, the C314 Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone from AKG is geared towards a variety of miking applications for project and professional studios as well as on stage. Its dual capsule provides for 4 selectable polar patterns; cardioid, supercardioid, omnidirectional, and figure 8, while its internal circuitry assures a low level of self noise. An overload detection LED lets you know when you are distorting the microphone, while the -20 dB pad and bass-cut filter at 100 Hz allows you to adjust the sonics based on the source.

• Low Self Noise
  • Overload Detection LED

I like it but it's $1499 for a matched set, with some careful shopping you can get a 414 matched set for a few bucks more. I think if it was at least $200 cheaper they'd have something really great going on.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »

• Low Self Noise
  • Overload Detection LED

I like it but it's $1499 for a matched set, with some careful shopping you can get a 414 matched set for a few bucks more. I think if it was at least $200 cheaper they'd have something really great going on.

Agreed.  There was 414 pair on YS for $1200 recently until the seller decided to keep them.

Not sure what AKG is going for here from a sales standpoint.  The various versions of the 414 have got to be one of their biggest sellers, and they have the 214 if you just want the cardiod portion of the 414. 

On the other hand, it seems like the 314 has the same dual-diaphragm element as the 414, and they just changed it the pattern select, low cut, and pad settings from electronic controls to physical switches.  You lose the intermediate patterns, but otherwise this seems like you're getting something pretty close to the 414 for a lot less.  A comparison of the specs shows it performing only slightly worse than the 414: 3 dB less sensitivity and 2 dB worse self-nose / S-N ratio.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
It's a fancy ADK TL  :P

The old TLs (also with 4-patterns) are significantly bigger and heavier, but sound-wise they compare favorably with the 414's to my ear, and are just $5-600 bucks a pair when they pop up used.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
What site?
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 06:38:06 PM »
The C214 was a electret capsule, so it was distinctly different from the 414.  Not meaning to ding electrets; Earthworks and DPA's are electrets, but it distinctly different.

I can see the 414 being an expensive legacy thing to produce, and they are looking for a more reasonable option, hopefully of equivalent quality, perhaps not.  If it were my business I would use the high grade caps made by their expert capsule makers, while the hardware (body, etc) which isn't directly related to sound quality would be redesigned for cheaper manufacture and outsourced.  And who really needs 9 patterns, and a few different roll-off options?  But if it were my business I would explain that's exactly what I had done.  The fact that they don't, makes me wonder.

I had 414's, I liked them, but I like TL's better (except for the weight).
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com