Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone run naiant x-o and have samples out there?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Anyone run naiant x-o and have samples out there?
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »
Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: Anyone run naiant x-o and have samples out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
Well, there's this ... not X-O's, per se, but close. :)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157974.msg1991281

I bought a pair of Naiant X-X's shortly thereafter. ;)

HTH, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Windwman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
Yeah, I've got some stuff. It's not what's typically done here. All my recordings are pure acoustic (except for an occasional spot vocal), Jazz & Classical, and VERY big file sizes. I record at 24bit-192k. The smallest file I'll link to here is 274Mb. This one is a very nice piano trio piece of Andrew Lloyd Weber's requiem performed by Seth Trumbore on piano, Keoni Bolding (violin); Peter Lockman (cello). Recorded at Church of the Holy Spirit in Harleysville PA. Naint X-O's at 16" with a homemade Jecklin disc, 84" high about 6ft away; a stock Tascam HD-P2. I can post more links of some Jazz too if anyone is interested.
http://www.adrive.com/public/WXEWDp/08%20Weber%20-%20requiem.wav
Comments welcome!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »
Yeah, I've got some stuff. It's not what's typically done here. All my recordings are pure acoustic (except for an occasional spot vocal), Jazz & Classical, and VERY big file sizes. I record at 24bit-192k. The smallest file I'll link to here is 274Mb. This one is a very nice piano trio piece of Andrew Lloyd Weber's requiem performed by Seth Trumbore on piano, Keoni Bolding (violin); Peter Lockman (cello). Recorded at Church of the Holy Spirit in Harleysville PA. Naint X-O's at 16" with a homemade Jecklin disc, 84" high about 6ft away; a stock Tascam HD-P2. I can post more links of some Jazz too if anyone is interested.
Comments welcome!

Small world - the chamber choir I sing with performed a concert there last year, and Seth was our accompanist.  He's awesome, and that's a beautiful acoustic to perform in especially for such a tiny church.  The best choir recording I've made yet was that concert (although not with my Naiant mics, but my CM3s.)

When I'm back from traveling, I'm looking forward to listening to your recording.  It's also nice to have another Team Classical / Jazz person here.  There are Team boards for those, but they get very little action lately.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Windwman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
Small world - the chamber choir I sing with performed a concert there last year, and Seth was our accompanist.  He's awesome, and that's a beautiful acoustic to perform in especially for such a tiny church.  The best choir recording I've made yet was that concert (although not with my Naiant mics, but my CM3s.)

When I'm back from traveling, I'm looking forward to listening to your recording.  It's also nice to have another Team Classical / Jazz person here.  There are Team boards for those, but they get very little action lately.
[/quote]

How about that - I was there last night, listening to three choirs rehearse for an upcoming concert in Wilkes Barre. It was heavenly...but unfortunately did not get a chance to record it. the actual concert will be incredible if the rehearsal is any sort of predictor.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
Just came across this thread and looking forward to giving this a listen.  Been curious about the Niaint Naiant X mics myself, especially for acoustic music properly recorded in a great room.  Thanks for the share.

Edit- I don't know why it's always a coin toss as to whether I spell Naiant correctly or not.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:37:14 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
Comments welcome!

Thanks for this.  Seems nice.  I'd be curious/interested about what sorts of jazz. 

I've never really been an omni person, though they can work in certain settings.  The strings get a very nice full sound in unison on this. 

Note: Not that it really matters to me or my connection but you could convert the file to flac to reduce the size a fair bit. 

FWIW I know someone who had some of x-o's for a while and he said they didn't handle really loud (rock) sources very well.  OP probably records things of that nature so that could be a problem for him.  Edit per clarification below: The max SPL they can handle is not high enough for many rock shows. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:42:06 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
The X-O is rated at 132dBSPL, which is similar to many other microphones.  The trouble you can have with omnis is they are flat response down to very low frequencies, so a loud show that is say 115dBSPL at 1kHz could be over 132dBSPL at 50Hz.  The only solution there is to use a less sensitive omni (the low-sens X-O is rated to 144dBSPL) or a microphone that is not flat-response such as a cardioid.

Thanks for that useful clarification.  Most loud rock shows are particularly so because of the very low frequencies so that is certainly a factor. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Windwman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
More info on the Jazz I recorded can be found here: http://thejazzsanctuary.com/ They are a group of very good musicians who play in various churches in the greater Philly area. The leader (Alan Segal) is a little skittish on allowing the recordings to go out to the public, that's why I haven't put anything out there. (I think that's counterproductive to getting more folks interested, but what do I know?)
As far as SPL handling, the X-O's are fine with any instrument (or combo) that's **unamplified**, drums included. Of course, drums are the most problematic with level setting - most of the time the levels on the Tascam are at 3.5 or so, compared to the classical recording which was at 5.

Offline Windwman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
OK, so here is an excerpt of some Jazz, recorded in the same place as the classical. http://we.tl/skJOrFLOv4 This link is good for one week. I think it shows how the mics capture drum transients...comments welcome.
This was done with the same setup, but the mics were a lot lower (58" high), and had to be put in a sub-optimal position in deference to the audience's sight-line. Down-sampled to 96K to keep the file size under 100Mb. The song is "Blue Monk", the musicians: Bruce Kaminsky (b), Frank DiBussolo (g), Bruce Klauber (d), Dave DiPalma (sax)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:03:42 PM by Windwman »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com