Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with CA-14's  (Read 3973 times)

Offline BleedingMe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording with CA-14's
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
I know this/these questions have been asked a million times before, but I'm in need of a little advice.  :-\

I'm attending a couple of shows over the weekend and have just bought CA-14's, Battery Box and a Sony M10. In the past I have been using a H2n in the front pocket and have gotten some good results. With enough EQ in Izotope, you can polish a turd!  :P This was very stealthy and no one would have a clue what you are doing. Now I've only just received the CA14's and as they are a little larger and with the clips mounted as such, I'm having problems mounting them even on my collar. I'm not sure of the band's recording policy, but I'm pretty sure they would be fine with it, I just don't want to stand out too much and would like to be a little inconspicuous.  8)

So does anyone have any handy tips how I could go about clipping/mounting them onto a shirt or jacket? I did watch a hat technique on YouTube mounted under the peak, but that didn't really fit the bill so to speak as they were smaller mics and I'm not particulary crafty.  ;D So any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording with CA-14's
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
Run the cables up your back and over your shoulders than slide the clips onto your shirt collar.They will never attach properly trying to run the cable up your frontside.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
wear a shirt with a heavier collar
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
Is collar mounting considered high enough for running CA-14 omnis?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »
Is collar mounting considered high enough for running CA-14 omnis?
Any mic should be mounted as high as possible remember at shoulder height people are right in front of you blocking the direct sound of the sound system in some cases. So hat mounting is preferred.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
Or try to be at least seven feet tall. That also works.

I record with this exact setup, and usually clip the CA-14s to a cap just in front of either ear, then run the wires out the back of the cap and down my back. I know it may seem conspicuous since the CA-14s are bigger than some other mics, but honestly I don't find people are paying that much attention to take notice. (I've had people *I was with* ask after a show, "Did you tape that?")

I probably wouldn't do it at a venue like Town Hall with exceptionally zealous security, but for your average club gig, it works fine.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »
Thanks. The only omnis I've ran are the Sonic Studios so I'm used to the "eyeglass" position. Just wasn't sure the best place to mount the CA-14s.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
Oops, didn't notice we were talking about omnis. (I have CA-14 cards.) Though actually the OP isn't clear on this...

Offline to_taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
I have both the CA 14 omnis and cards. Usually I wear a black baseball cap and clip the mics to an old set of glasses (with thin arms) and put the glasses on the bill of my hat. I push them back so the mics are up against the hat. I have found this to be more discreet than clipping the mics to the side of the hat. It also gets the mics up an inch or two higher. I have my pre-amp and Edirol R-09HR in a black bag that I hang around my neck. The wires are in front of my shirt but I wear a black shirt so this is not as noticeable. So far, so good. In situations where I'm more concerned about security, I will use my old Core Sound binaurals, which have been modified to fit in my ears and look just like earplugs.

Offline ravingandrooling

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
PM sent. 
Mics:  CA14 (c,o,sc), AT943 (c/h)
Power: UBB x2, CA9100, CA9200
Recorder: Sony M10 x2

Offline BleedingMe

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 05:46:51 AM »
Thanks for all the posts and pm's I recieved. I think I have it all sorted....I hope.  :P Cheers again.

Offline BleedingMe

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13:01 AM »
1st tape went pretty well. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Kangol or any other setup in time, so I just had to clip to my collar. Worked out okay anyway, as I was on a raised level with no one in front from me to the stage.

Here's a couple of songs:

https://soundcloud.com/ben-holmes-14/forum-theatre-18-july-2013-melbourne-something-for-kate-max-planck
https://soundcloud.com/ben-holmes-14/forum-theatre-18-july-2013-melbourne-something-for-kate-down-the-garden-path

Thinking I may get some CA-11's with the Croakies for smaller clubs etc as that is what I generally record in and keep the CA-14's for bigger venues where I wont look out of place.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »
Thinking I may get some CA-11's with the Croakies for smaller clubs etc as that is what I generally record in and keep the CA-14's for bigger venues where I wont look out of place.

I recorded with croakies for years but once I tried the mics in a hat I would never go back. I use a Kangol now, but even made great sounding recordings in the liner of an ordinary baseball hat.

In the hat the mics are completely invisible and I got far less of my breathing noises in my recordings (even though the mics were only 4 inches from my mouth instead of 2 inches it seemed to make a big difference).

The CA-14s will fit easily in a hat if you want to go that route.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com