Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: clap removal on a Justin Townes Earle show (shit I do for fun)  (Read 2537 times)

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
2.5 hours in, with 10m of a 55min show to go.  Bumbershoot '10 in Seattle.

this is a PRE normalize/boost/amplify file.  the dipshits around me were THAT loud. but it IS fixable:

so far, so good.

FUCK compressers (sic)   ;) 

it's a PITA process, but ya sure can't hear the transitions.

which is as it should be.

will figure out that Slash show here soon. that distortion will be easy to fix once the frequencies are exposed.

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: clap removal on a Justin Townes Earle show (shit I do for fun)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
Yeah, I've had that happen, it's frustrating. Mainly happens at quiet shows where the mics aren't very high. Like when I've stealth taped bluegrass/acoustic stuff.

So what did you do to fix it? I've used the Audacity click removal effect(typically with Threshold: 200 and Spike Width: 20). Not sure if those are the "best" settings or not but I've had success. Note that this does affect the music so should be kept mostly to between songs. Sometimes I've adjusted the settings to get all the clap peaks but it distorts the music if mid-song. Between songs I don't really care about how it affects the banter/crowd noise.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
Yeah, I've had that happen, it's frustrating. Mainly happens at quiet shows where the mics aren't very high. Like when I've stealth taped bluegrass/acoustic stuff.

So what did you do to fix it? I've used the Audacity click removal effect(typically with Threshold: 200 and Spike Width: 20). Not sure if those are the "best" settings or not but I've had success. Note that this does affect the music so should be kept mostly to between songs. Sometimes I've adjusted the settings to get all the clap peaks but it distorts the music if mid-song. Between songs I don't really care about how it affects the banter/crowd noise.

no settings...just lots of "zoom in, zoom out"...like Karate Kid on a cpu screen.

will post some samples...this show, and maybe a bit of the Jack Anch show (with permission from the taper)...both had horrid, horrid crowd noise.

the JTE I had to step away from , it's 95% done.

tomorrow.

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline NewTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
I used to try & remove them but even if you remove the clap spike you still get a little of the echo from the clap & it sounds weird and if you do remove them it create tiny pops.
So now I just normalize each clap spike to 10 -15 % ur smaller depending on the wave itself and boom it sounds like a distant clap and is not annoying at all.

NT

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »
I used to try & remove them but even if you remove the clap spike you still get a little of the echo from the clap & it sounds weird and if you do remove them it create tiny pops.
So now I just normalize each clap spike to 10 -15 % ur smaller depending on the wave itself and boom it sounds like a distant clap and is not annoying at all.

NT

but I'm not trying to 'remove' them, just reduce the ceiling of the pop, and make it where one doesn't have to reach for the volume knob.

most are between 5 to 12db...and 12db claps usually make red lines.

for a really quiet acoustic/speaking engagement, I could see it maybe making pops, but the louder music (even acoustic JTE or Jack White) seem to cover up any flaws if they're even there...
-------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com