Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 104913 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
Had my first snafu last night with th DR680.  I was running my V3 Digital in with a stereo pair and analoag into 1&2 and 3&4 with two other stereo pairs.  I made sure that the "DIN MON" was set on the the "Function Screen".  Everything looked good with levels etc.  When I went to play back the files this morning I only had files for st12.wav & st34.wav, no st.wav file  :(  So basicly there was no file created for the V3 digital source.

Wouldn't you set it to DIN Stereo? I thought the DIN MON would be the RCA inputs.

The DIN MON is the setting used on the function button right above the rec trim button on the front of the unit.  The DIN stereo is the setting you use in the recording screen when using the menu botton on the top of the unit, which was was set properly.

ahh, OK. I may be confusing two different functions. I was thinking of the I/O function on the menu screen and choosing either the analog or digi in option. I believe this directs the signal to the RCA or the SPDIF inputs or outputs.

If someone who does digi-in regularly would write up the best way to set up for that, I bet a number of us would be eternally grateful.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
Is there something that happened to cause this Sys Rom Error? Is there anything to watch out for to avoid this, or is it just a thing that happens sometimes?

on mine it meant the main board took a crap
I ended up getting a NEW unit after waiting 2 months
I was patient and let Full Compass deal with Teac

EDIT:

If someone who does digi-in regularly would write up the best way to set up for that, I bet a number of us would be eternally grateful.

the I/O setting on the MENU controls how you record the digital input
I have mine set for recording digi in on 7&8:
INPUT SEL : ANALOG
A. OUT SEL : DIRECT
D. OUT MODE : SPDIF

the  DIN MON setting on the HOME/FUNC button will monitor your digital input while recording

also remember to check and see if the LR bullet is showing on the main screen while recording
it's along the bottom of the screen under the meters... 1 2 3 4 5 6 LR

did I forget anything?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:56:19 PM by darby »

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
As you note, you can set up the 680 to record digitally on the "ST" channels (it's easier to me to think of these as channels 7 and 8 ), or you can record digitally to channels 5 and 6.

If you are recording to channels 7 & 8, I think you left out the most important part:

To record on 7/8, you need to go the the recording menu off the main menu, and set "ST REC" to "DIN", meaning digital input (as opposed to "MIX", for recording a mix of channels 1-6 on the 7/8 channels).

This is all you need to record digitally on 7/8. According to the manual, if set to "DIN" on "ST REC", on the I/O menu, it will not matter if you select "ANALOG" on INPUT SEL" or if you select "DIGITAL", either way, the 680 will record the analog channels on 5/6, since you have set it up in the REC menu to record the digital channels on 7/8.

I don't think the DIN MON settings or D OUT MODE have anything to do with whether you can record digitally.  They will affect whether you can monitor your digi input channels on the headphone, or output the digi input to the spdif coax output (for a patcher, etc), but I don't think they affect whether you can actually record off the digital input.

For recording the digital input on channels 5/6, the "ST REC" setting on the recording menu must be set to "MIX" (sending the 1-6 mixed signal to 7/8), and then also set on the I/O menu the "INPUT SEL" to "DIGITAL".
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
thanks Todd
I was on my way out and thought I forgot something
yes... the D OUT does not affect recording
but you have to have the DIN MON on to monitor what you are recording on 7&8
otherwise you have a mix level showing 

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
thanks Todd
I was on my way out and thought I forgot something
yes... the D OUT does not affect recording
but you have to have the DIN MON on to monitor what you are recording on 7&8
otherwise you have a mix level showing

Ah, interesting!  I've only recorded digi-in on ch 5/6, so I've been using 7/8 as the mix channels.  So if you set to record digi-in on 7/8, you'll actually record that, but if you don't set DIN MON correctly you'll be recording digi-in, but seeing the levels of the non-recorded mix channels?  Weird!?!
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure if it was this update or the one before it that forced you to reset the Din Mon each time you power up.  I have to remind myself and have panicked when I saw excessive levels, even made adjustments before the DOH! moment and reset the view.  I wish they would go back to the old style when it remains set.   FWIW I just leave the deck set to record digi on 7&8 then I never have to reset it.  Easy enough to turn off channels not being used for recording. 

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
Yeah I'd say B&H is the best place. No tax, free shipping, good return policy. Why buy on ebay just to save 10 bucks?
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
Well, I talked to the service department at Teac. The recorder has a one year warranty on the parts, which still applies to my recorder. The labor warranty (90 days) has expired. I shipped it to Teac in Montebello, CA for repair. They say I should have it back in two weeks. I'd like to have it back for the two moe shows the first weekend in February in Denver.

I also called Chris at the Sound Professionals where I bought it. He said he may be able to help expedite the repair process for me as he has a good relationship with the Teac sales rep. I'll report back on how it goes with Teac repair.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
sounds good Chuck... hope they keep their word about 2 weeks

Offline Chuck

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »
sounds good Chuck... hope they keep their word about 2 weeks

Well, darby, thank you for telling me that your problem got put on the fast track after contacting the place where you bought yours. I wouldn't not have thought of that. Now, I've got my fingers crossed.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Chimney Top

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
Ive only read the first and third threads here, but I asked Doug at Oade about this model and he said it is basically the Tascam DR100 x 4.

That answered alot of my questions...

Isn't that generalizing a bit too much? Is there anything that is the same (except for the manufacturer)?

as others mentioned, of course it has more effects and features, but the preamp section is essentially the same as dr100.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 03:25:26 AM »
Ok...I know I've been threatening to join Team DR-680 for months, but just haven't gotten around to getting one. I'd like to be in the game by the time Further hits Denver in a few weeks.

What are you guys using for power on these things? I would assume that you are using some external power source.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chuck

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
A 9v DVD battery is working for me.

edit to add:

...and congrats on making the decision to buy the recorder!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:58:36 AM by Chuck »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
A 9v DVD battery is working for me.

edit to add:

...and congrats on making the decision to buy the recorder!

Thanks. Figured that would work.

I just bought the PortaBrace case for it. I'm going to look like an ass if I show up to the section with a PortaBrace without a recorder! :P
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com