Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: low-budget stealth recorder for ambient sounds  (Read 3467 times)

Offline perolles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
low-budget stealth recorder for ambient sounds
« on: June 04, 2018, 03:26:13 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for accepting me onto your site. I've been trying to make electronic music as a hobby for some time now, but there has always been something missing. I want to take the sounds I hear in everyday life, like trains screeching or birds singing, and put them into the music I am making. Ambient sound will be the main subject matter. However, I also take short recordings at techno and house gigs if I like the track and want to find it later. My phone is currently sufficient for this so I am not that picky. Open recording, and indeed sometimes phone use at all, is frowned upon at such gigs. Stealth matters for me.

So, here are my requirements:
small and handy, stealthy, omnidirectional mics, 24/96, preferably under 100 euros (flexible budget)

preferable:
ability to handle sounds over 125dB (for better recordings at gigs)

These are some of the models I have looked at so far:
Zoom H1, H2, H2n
Tascam DR-05, DR-07
Sony PCM-M10,

I know a little about audio gear from production and DJing, but I'm completely new to taping. I hope this is in the right place in the forums, my apologies if it isn't!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: low-budget stealth recorder for ambient sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
I have no personal experience with any of those, but I will say that if you can get your hands on an M10 for 100 Euros or less you should definitely snap it up.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline perolles

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
Unfortunately it would appear that the majority of listings for them are in the US and Japan. In any case, you'd be waiting a long time to get an m10 for under 100 euros...

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
The M10 even used will be more than 100Euros. That said, I only have experience with that model of those listed in the OP. What I can say is that the omnidirectional mics are pretty good. they seem to have a peak response about 100Hz, which I wound up EQ'ing down quite a bit for loud Rock recordings.
I just spent 10 days with it in NOLA for jazzfest, did all sorts of different set ups, and used the internals for over half of what I captured. Given proper location (and the 100Hz dealio), those mics can actually "Shine".
Good luck with the search.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
I have an M-10, and have limited experience with a few of the others listed.  The M-10 is by far the best choice on that list, in my opinion, so if you can pick one up for a comfortable price, I would recommend getting one.  A new recorder that has recently come out and has been getting a lot of good response with other stealth tapers, it is the Roland R-07.  You can control it via Bluetooth from your phone, while leaving it locked in your pocket, assuming you're using external microphones.  The reports are favorable on the internals.  Google and look into that one.  Also, the Edirol R-09HR or the Edirol (it may have been called Roland, I forgot) R-05 are also very good small machines.  If you weren't as concerned about such a low profile, I'd recommend the Roland R-26, but it's a little bigger (but the mics are the best I've experienced for internal microphones).  You best solution is to invest in real microphones that are small enough to do what you want in stealth mode, and that will certainly be better for your ambient recordings.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »
Tascam DR-2D

under $150, and the internal mics are the best.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
Tascam DR-2D

Assuming you had to get a new recorder today, and had to choose between what's currently in stock at most places (as far as I know the DR-2d is discontinued), what would you choose?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 06:40:56 AM »
Tascam DR-2D

Assuming you had to get a new recorder today, and had to choose between what's currently in stock at most places (as far as I know the DR-2d is discontinued), what would you choose?

6-8 pop up on Ebay each month, occasionally NIB.

never see them go for over $150, usually $90 to 120.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »
Tascam DR-2D

6-8 pop up on Ebay each month, occasionally NIB.

never see them go for over $150, usually $90 to 120.

Thank you on several accounts: Ceasing and desisting on the whole dog-pile-on-on-the rabbit thread. Links to good member gear like this...

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
I've had the DR-05 for a few years now and have been very happy with it. It's currently US$100 on Amazon.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com