Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth Rig Woes  (Read 4142 times)

Offline mp3weenie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Stealth Rig Woes
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
Hey all it’s been a while. Recently I busted out my stealth rig and now even very small venues are using wands. So I was bummed I had to leave the gear in the car for one of my favorite artists (I do t get out much anymore). My current rig: DPA 4061 -> Church Audio 9100 -> micro track. I would like to be able to put DPA into iPhone if there is something that can get through a light wand search at the door.

Thanks for the input.

Jay

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Stealth Rig Woes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 11:31:04 AM »
I have only heard of the DPA MMA-A, owned by some in this forum. No idea if it will go unnoticed. I personally like my Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset which plugs directly into the iPhone and passes for regular headphones. I don't record loud music, so wouldn't know if it would work for that.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
DPA d:vice.

There is a long thread about it here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.0

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
You should be able to get your current rig past wands and walkthroughs.  Methods and sources should be discussed via pm though.  I easily walk in with a babynbox, Schoeps MK4's and Tascam DR-2D which is a bit larger I believe.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
You should be able to get your current rig past wands and walkthroughs.  Methods and sources should be discussed via pm though.  I easily walk in with a babynbox, Schoeps MK4's and Tascam DR-2D which is a bit larger I believe.

I was thinking the same thing. My rig is about the same size as OP's. I've never had a problem unless I was being careless or got to ballsy.

That being said...if OP already has the DPA's, the d:vice is almost fool proof for getting into any venue (with maybe the exception of an artist that requires people to check their phones).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
d:vice is compact, powers the dpas properly, and has ton of clean gain, its a great unit. has 60g of aluminum in the case but ive gone thru walkthru with it in my pocket

if you already have 4061s with microdots and an iphone its a logical step
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline mp3weenie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:24:25 AM »

I guess I never went for it. I assumed the wand would go off but I guess there is not much solid metal in those pieces. I will follow up in case there is a method component to it...

I was thinking the same thing. My rig is about the same size as OP's. I've never had a problem unless I was being careless or got to ballsy.

That being said...if OP already has the DPA's, the d:vice is almost fool proof for getting into any venue (with maybe the exception of an artist that requires people to check their phones).

Thanks.

d:vice is compact, powers the dpas properly, and has ton of clean gain, its a great unit. has 60g of aluminum in the case but ive gone thru walkthru with it in my pocket

if you already have 4061s with microdots and an iphone its a logical step

The DPA device looks interesting but it sounds like I may be able to move on through with my existing rig but I will keep it in mind. Thanks

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
if you want to stick with a dedicated recorder and spend a little less $ (the d:vice is not cheap at $660), the DPA rig i'm putting together is, i think, the stealthiest way you can construct a DPA rig while still using a dedicated recorder and retaining the microdot terminations:

DPAs of your choice (4060/61, 6060/61) > custom y-cable > 9v batt box > small recorder of your choice (Roland R-07, Sony PCM-A10, etc.).

my particular rig is going to be 6061s > y-cable > SP-SPSB-8-MKII > R-07. the y-cable is the trickiest part as you have to either buy it pre-made from Core Sound or have it custom-made to order. the cable, batt box and recorder can be done for around half the cost of a d:vice depending on the options you choose. the advantage of retaining the microdot terminations is that you can then run them into a d:vice someday if you decide to get one, or continue to run into other preamps that accept microdots, as compared to getting the DPAs terminated into an 1/8" plug locks you into running that way only. and doing it this way will be tiny and nearly all plastic -- no worries on metal detectors (not sure how much metal is in a CA-9100 and microtrack, by comparison, but they definitely appear bulkier).

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 08:56:27 PM »
the Rode SC6-L seems promising, jut need to make some cables from your batt box

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=187401.0
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »
you can buy female microdot cables precrimped, cut them and solder them into a single trs plug yourself. as far as i know, the microdot crimp tool is a few hundred dollars

if you want to stick with a dedicated recorder and spend a little less $ (the d:vice is not cheap at $660), the DPA rig i'm putting together is, i think, the stealthiest way you can construct a DPA rig while still using a dedicated recorder and retaining the microdot terminations:

DPAs of your choice (4060/61, 6060/61) > custom y-cable > 9v batt box > small recorder of your choice (Roland R-07, Sony PCM-A10, etc.).

my particular rig is going to be 6061s > y-cable > SP-SPSB-8-MKII > R-07. the y-cable is the trickiest part as you have to either buy it pre-made from Core Sound or have it custom-made to order. the cable, batt box and recorder can be done for around half the cost of a d:vice depending on the options you choose. the advantage of retaining the microdot terminations is that you can then run them into a d:vice someday if you decide to get one, or continue to run into other preamps that accept microdots, as compared to getting the DPAs terminated into an 1/8" plug locks you into running that way only. and doing it this way will be tiny and nearly all plastic -- no worries on metal detectors (not sure how much metal is in a CA-9100 and microtrack, by comparison, but they definitely appear bulkier).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com