Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158816 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »

Does the Shure Motiv app split files automatically at 2GB or whatever? I need to turn this thing on, 24/48, and just let it run without worry or needing to start new files or anything.

Yes - I use that app w/ the Shure mic, and it will autosplit. It can be a bit buggy though, but if you have the phone software and the app updated, it seems to work best.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »
ok, I ran the Motiv app capturing at 24/48 yesterday, and now have several 2GB files on my phone.  "Save to Camera Roll" converts the files to lossy format, which I definitely don't want to do.

Save to Dropbox takes awhile... is there a way to transfer the WAV files from my iPhone 6+ to my Windows 10 PC, preferably using the lightning cable?

Perhaps 1Drive and Google Drive are options? I haven't gone looking for the app versions of those yet.

Obviously, moving 6 or more gigs around takes a little time no matter which method is used, but I'm looking for the quickest, that requires fewest clicks etc. :) What are others here doing to get things out of the Motiv app?

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm not sure from a PC but I use iExplorer on the Mac to extract files directly from an iphone (connected via the lightning cable). There might be a PC equivalent
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
ok, I ran the Motiv app capturing at 24/48 yesterday, and now have several 2GB files on my phone.  "Save to Camera Roll" converts the files to lossy format, which I definitely don't want to do.

Save to Dropbox takes awhile... is there a way to transfer the WAV files from my iPhone 6+ to my Windows 10 PC, preferably using the lightning cable?

Perhaps 1Drive and Google Drive are options? I haven't gone looking for the app versions of those yet.

Obviously, moving 6 or more gigs around takes a little time no matter which method is used, but I'm looking for the quickest, that requires fewest clicks etc. :) What are others here doing to get things out of the Motiv app?

I tried the lightning connection, but had trouble - mostly I'm assuming because it was my work PC and it's weird with outside programs/devices. I've used dropbox, and yes - it does take a while. But it's worked nonetheless...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »

My d:vice arrived in the mail yesterday and I've been playing around with it this morning.  I installed the DPA and Shure Motiv apps successfully and setup was painless.  After setting the 4061 mics up in the DPA app (stereo, +20dB gain, no roll off), I made a 1.5 hour test recording in the Shure Motiv app (24 bit/48kHz) and the file saved. My battery drained approximately 20% (iphone 6s).

To access the file from your iPhone:
- open iTunes
- click on the device icon at the top left (the icon with a picture of the phone)
- under Settings on the left, click on File Sharing
- select the MOTIV app and the wav file(s) should appear on the right to save to PC
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
Thanks for those iTunes instructions! I'll try those today.

Also, I found that the Audioshare app lets you select 96K sampling rate, but I haven't tested it yet to see if there is any content up there. :)

I captured an amazing Steely Dan tribute band on Friday night: DPA 4060's > D:vice > Motiv app > Magix Sound Forge 11 pro > iZotope Ozone > FLAC

It's currently seeing on Dime.
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=609269

I can stick that somewhere else if there are any rabid fans of The Dan here who aren't members at Dime.

Not an overly loud band, and I was running at 30% (+9dB). I hit 0 a few times, although the clipping wasn't audible. Interesting... is this thing hard to clip, similar to the Sony PCM-10's line in?

Anyway, I'm now wondering if I'll be able to capture loud things like metal bands, running the D:vice at 0%, no boost. *sigh* Guess I'll need to save for a pair of 4061's for those cases.

Or, perhaps I could use a more advanced audio editing app like Ferrite, and have a soft limiter engaged?

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
checking in..
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Does anybody else feel that a switchable -10dB pad would be a useful addition to the D:vice app? I do, mostly because I use it with a pair of 4060's, so I'm worried about very loud sources. (occasional metal shows)

Perhaps if we write short reviews of the app and request this... :)

Personally, I would prefer a pad rather than a limiter.

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »
Thanks for those iTunes instructions! I'll try those today.

Also, I found that the Audioshare app lets you select 96K sampling rate, but I haven't tested it yet to see if there is any content up there. :)

I captured an amazing Steely Dan tribute band on Friday night: DPA 4060's > D:vice > Motiv app > Magix Sound Forge 11 pro > iZotope Ozone > FLAC

It's currently seeing on Dime.
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=609269

I can stick that somewhere else if there are any rabid fans of The Dan here who aren't members at Dime.

Not an overly loud band, and I was running at 30% (+9dB). I hit 0 a few times, although the clipping wasn't audible. Interesting... is this thing hard to clip, similar to the Sony PCM-10's line in?

Anyway, I'm now wondering if I'll be able to capture loud things like metal bands, running the D:vice at 0%, no boost. *sigh* Guess I'll need to save for a pair of 4061's for those cases.

Or, perhaps I could use a more advanced audio editing app like Ferrite, and have a soft limiter engaged?

Which Steely Dan cover band? We've got a great one here in Seattle - "Nearly Dan". I don't know how to use bit torrent but I could dropbox or Wetransfer if you'd be interested in checking them out.

-John
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
Joining the team on this one.  Just picked up a pair of 4060s with a d:vice and some XLR adapters. Need to find some reasonably priced microdot extension cables for open taping. 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
^ Try CD International.  Not exactly cheap, but much cheaper than the DPA versions and there are lots of options...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
^ Try CD International.  Not exactly cheap, but much cheaper than the DPA versions and there are lots of options...
^
Thanks for the link Aaron!

I'm also in the market for a pair of reasonably priced microdot extension cables for open taping.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »
^
Thanks for the link Aaron!

I'm also in the market for a pair of reasonably priced microdot extension cables for open taping.
Thanks as well Aaron. OT a little here, but beatkilla sent me a link to a fleaBay listing that I was interested in but couldn't do it because she's not shipping to Canada.  Shared this with you.  :)
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2018, 09:21:09 AM »
Photos of their cables here- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175358.msg2179858#msg2179858

Choose male 10-32 termination (microdot) at one end and female 10-32 at the other for an extension cable.
(Just posted the same in team DPA thread.)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »
 A very minor point due to it's size, but has anyone tested a metal detector with one of these + 4060/1's? Just wondering if it's best to just set aside in the tray with the phone - or if you can keep on you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com