Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help With Balcony Clamping  (Read 33410 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Help With Balcony Clamping
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

B&H site says that safety cable has been discontinued - is there an updated part number from B&H?

If you search safety cable on B&H, lots of others come up.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 04:56:59 PM »

B&H site says that safety cable has been discontinued - is there an updated part number from B&H?

If you search safety cable on B&H, lots of others come up.

Get picture hanging wire and make one yourself.  Just wrap some of the extra cable and secure with Gaffers tape.  I used 100lb wire and made 4 cables for cheap.  My Grandmother (RIP) made shell plaques that weighted a ton and used this stuff to hang them with no problem.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 05:15:06 PM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
Get picture hanging wire and make one yourself.  Just wrap some of the extra cable and secure with Gaffers tape.  I used 100lb wire and made 4 cables for cheap.  My Grandmother (RIP) made shell plaques that weighted a ton and used this stuff to hang them with no problem.

Also, static climbing rope or cord (between 3 and 9mm) with proper fig8 knots and 2 carabiners should work as well.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »
I keep meaning to pick up some stainless steel fishing leader for this application.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 02:50:57 PM »

Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee, WI
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »
Bump because this is a good thread to keep around. Does anyone have a picture of the safety cable in action? They don't really come with instructions, and it appears to be self-explanatory, but a picture is worth a thousand words they say.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »
Bump because this is a good thread to keep around. Does anyone have a picture of the safety cable in action? They don't really come with instructions, and it appears to be self-explanatory, but a picture is worth a thousand words they say.

First couple picks, Mine & Andy's.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,112075.0.html
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

This is a good thread to keep around with lots of pictures and links.

I agree with making your own safety cables. I got 15 feet of picture hanging cable for about $3 and a pack of carabiners for around $6. now I have about four cables of varying length.

If you do want to make your own, don't stop at the two or three pound cables but get something like 15 pounds.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 03:34:58 PM »

Look back at the detail pic from my rig on page 3, about halfway down. I have it wrapped around the rail and both ends secured where the stud enters the superclamp

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:55:22 PM by cybergaloot »
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
Nice! Thanks. We should have this thread sticky'd
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »
I think there are longer ones available, that's just the first hit I got. They use then to secure stage lights. And company that sells lighting equipment will have them.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

pistolpete71

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
"the Avenger" D230 - Super Clamp Grip Head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124734-REG/Avenger_D230_Super_Clamp_Grip_Head.html

I'm thinking of trying one of these to clamp from an overhead light bar. The clamp is a little pricey, but should allow me to fabricate an extention bar on the cheap (parts list = a 5' length of pipe, a 3/8" bolt, 2-part epoxy & some black spray paint).

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2009, 07:19:14 PM »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124734-REG/Avenger_D230_Super_Clamp_Grip_Head.html

I'm thinking of trying one of these to clamp from an overhead light bar. The clamp is a little pricey, but should allow me to fabricate an extention bar on the cheap (parts list = a 5' length of pipe, a 3/8" bolt, 2-part epoxy & some black spray paint).

Rather than using pipe you might consider aluminum tubing, You can get it at almost any hardware store. Much lighter weight. You might also consider drilling a couple of holes where you epoxy the bolt in so that the epoxy have a better grip on the tubing. If you go with tubing you might wedge a short piece of dowel rod in the end that gets clamped so that it doesn't crush.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »

Rather than using pipe you might consider aluminum tubing, You can get it at almost any hardware store. Much lighter weight. You might also consider drilling a couple of holes where you epoxy the bolt in so that the epoxy have a better grip on the tubing. If you go with tubing you might wedge a short piece of dowel rod in the end that gets clamped so that it doesn't crush.

Or you could use PVC.  I use 1/2" sch-80.  Sch-80 is dark grey instead of white.
Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com