Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dpa repair options  (Read 4820 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
dpa repair options
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:29:23 PM »
I noticed after a show that the metal protective grid from one of my 4061's got pulled off somehow, and is MIA. Mic still works fine, I taped a windscreen over it for more protection for the element, but would definitely like to get it repaired, or do so myself. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I tried the dpa site, they don't appear to offer this part there in the parts list.

thanks!

ildu

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: dpa repair options
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »
I believe you can order the grids. I think they may come in a 5 pack. They are pretty expensive considering what you're getting, but I'm under the impression that just about anyone could fix them.

I would contact who you got them from or from Cascade Media (www.cascademedia.net), if you bought them used. They should be able to hook you up with any DPA product. I know Cascade doesn't keep any DPA products in stock, but they will drop ship them directly from DPA in Colorado.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:10:26 PM »
You can always call DPA directly and ask for service. They will service or repair anything they make.

(303) 823-8878

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
Or maybe ask in the yard sale if anyone have any spare grids... Someone might have purchased them (pack of 5) and have left overs which they have no use for.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:16:42 AM »
I just gave away a pair of them...
so they are around.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:39:58 AM »
The grids just push on & pull off of the mic body.  No repair necessary if you find another, just push it on.  They make 'short' & 'long' grids as well as other specialty grids.  The short grid is the most popular, the long one produces a bigger peakier frequency bump around 10khz.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:28:35 PM »
I noticed after a show that the metal protective grid from one of my 4061's got pulled off somehow, and is MIA. Mic still works fine, I taped a windscreen over it for more protection for the element, but would definitely like to get it repaired, or do so myself. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I tried the dpa site, they don't appear to offer this part there in the parts list.

thanks!

ildu

Actually, you can use the mic without the screen and not worry of damage problems. 

The tiny rectangular capsule is inside the little brass tube, with the sound hole FACING THE WALL OF THE TUBE, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to damage the mic with the screens removed. 

Also, the sound hole is got a VERY STURDY fabric covering inside further protecting the diaphragm from water, makeup, and sweat as these capsules were designed as body mounted actor's vocal mics to be immune to the makeup/sweat, and cleaning process to remove such.   

How do I know this?   I have disassembled about a dozen of these 9 years ago in an attempt to make them very good sounding mics by removing them from being buried inside that awful brass tube!   Without the tube, these capsules sound glorious, but inside the tube they suck in my opinion.  This is why I cannot use them as-sold for natural sounding recording mics.   However, most agree these sound fine for live Pop/Rock PA'd live recording.

I have one recording posted using NAKED DPA 4062 capsules: http://www.sonicstudios.com/dixielnd.htm
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:34:34 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
Hi Guy,
I've always liked the sound of your DSM mics & I remember wondering about your experiments & modification of the DPA's years ago.  Not trying to uncover any of your trade secrets here, but did you basically trim the tube surrounding the rectangular capsule and pot the caspule in a way similar to your other DSM mics, or did you find you needed to further modify the capsule housing (perhaps to remove the internal fabric covering for example)?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »
Hi Guy,
I've always liked the sound of your DSM mics & I remember wondering about your experiments & modification of the DPA's years ago.  Not trying to uncover any of your trade secrets here, but did you basically trim the tube surrounding the rectangular capsule and pot the capsule in a way similar to your other DSM mics, or did you find you needed to further modify the capsule housing (perhaps to remove the internal fabric covering for example)?

Left the diaphragm cover alone, just way too small, but would be way better without it in my experience. 
Everything else surround the front half needed removing, and then came the molding part making everything integral with glasses holding loop.

First proto run of these was NO piece of cake.  Capsules got damaged, some became complete casualties as part of inevitable learning curve, but risky work with losses likely even with experience.  In the end, not much to not like about the modified version. 

However, figured at that time no market for quarter Db matched "NUDE" DPA 4060 HRTF mic needing to cost at least twice going rate for HEB.

Only one set sold in USA, but last I heard was being used in UK for pop/rock.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:26:36 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
Interesting, thanks Guy.

I was following up here but figured I'd start a new thread.. http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80328.new.html#new
take a look if interested, I'd love your insights.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com