Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sub  (Read 3794 times)

Offline FiKe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
New Sub
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
I finally have the last piece to my editing playback system. An Adam Sub 7, this goes with a Metric Halo ULN- 2 and a pair of Adam A7's. These are mounted on a desk putting the A7's at the right height in relation to my posture when I'm sober.The sub is below on the bottom shelf so to speak, Now I just have to go back and tweak my recordings that I listen to a lot. Next is an integrated amp to replace my DA-ES-3000 to go with a pair of Heresy III's. I would like any suggestions you folks might provide.

FiKe

ELA-M-260>ULN-2>Logic 9.17 or 722

TommyAudio

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Sub
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:12:53 AM »
What's sober.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »
Now I just have to go back and tweak my recordings that I listen to a lot.
FiKe

You did balance the phase and level of the subwoofer when you installed it right?  Redoing mixes with a mis-adjusted subwoofer will create mixes that don't translate well to other playback systems.  ;)
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »
You will need a sub with the heresy since they dont have much low end.

Offline FiKe

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »
Sober would of course be relative, as far as the phase issue goes I placed the sub in the center and below , I'm pretty sure its close enough in distance in relation to my A-7's so phase shouldn't be an issue I could be wrong. I move the level around even on songs from the same album but usually I don't have to make huge changes. I could be missing something but I listen to a lot of Jazz I would be interested to hear how a sub may improve the Heresy's but I'm really happy with them right now.

FiKe

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
even with jazz there's a lot of low level information. The acoustic bass dig down deep kick drum saxophone body, and piano bass all benefit extensively from having subs or full range speakers. I think once you hook up your sub to your heresy you will hear what you have been missing and never turn back. Enjoy the life of full range listening.

Offline FiKe

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
Ray
 You were so right I picked up a Klipsch SW 110 and hooked it up and listened to Song For My Father by Horace Silver when I got to "Lonely Woman" I was so glad I listened to you. Everything is so much better. I was so naive in my listening skills, I suppose it just shows how far my ear needs to go.

FiKe

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
even with jazz there's a lot of low level information. The acoustic bass dig down deep kick drum saxophone body, and piano bass all benefit extensively from having subs or full range speakers. I think once you hook up your sub to your heresy you will hear what you have been missing and never turn back. Enjoy the life of full range listening.

Ok raymonda, you've convinced me.  There ain't no new-flashy gadgets I'd be wantin' for Christmas, anyway..

Santa's gonna have to bring me a sub this year.  I've owned, and near-daily played, my Heresy's since I bought them in 1982.  My playback goes through a BBE, so maybe I was making up some bass emphasis there (Page cringed one time to hear I listen through a BBE, but I appreciate having a light hand on harmonics..and bass too, I guess)......

We used a old rough pair for a small PA last weekend, and they were super for that, too.  Bass was on-stage.  Recorded well.

I think I have a near-full range setup.  I've been leery to add a sub, for what I might actually hear (wind rumble, near DC whoomps, you know what I mean).

If it wasn't for you'all, I wouldn't try anything new.....thanks for the push.

capn
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
Now, if you have not moved the heresy's off the floor do so immediately to improve the sound stage and imaging. On the floor they present a third row balcony soundstage. Off the floor, with tweeters closer to ear height they throw a nice mid hall soundstage. I found a nice pair of stands made by fabricator that gets them off the floor 14 inches or so and keeps them tilted back slightly. Positioning the pair and yourself in an equal lateral triangle gives the most vivid and engaging listening experience. I also have found that upgrading the stock caps and wiring does hurt either. Finally, I stuffed mine with polyfiber to extend the low end a bit. The last two mods were incremental improvement and pale to what a sub and proper positioning of the speakers will accomplish.  Happy listening.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »

Ok raymonda, you've convinced me.  There ain't no new-flashy gadgets I'd be wantin' for Christmas, anyway..

Santa's gonna have to bring me a sub this year.  I've owned, and near-daily played, my Heresy's since I bought them in 1982.  My playback goes through a BBE, so maybe I was making up some bass emphasis there (Page cringed one time to hear I listen through a BBE, but I appreciate having a light hand on harmonics..and bass too, I guess)......

We used a old rough pair for a small PA last weekend, and they were super for that, too.  Bass was on-stage.  Recorded well.

I think I have a near-full range setup.  I've been leery to add a sub, for what I might actually hear (wind rumble, near DC whoomps, you know what I mean).

If it wasn't for you'all, I wouldn't try anything new.....thanks for the push.

capn

The pair I picked up were 1982 vintage, too. I have seriuosly been thinking about getting the crites titanium diaphragms for the tweeters as my last mod for them. B I t since replacing the alps r16 pot in my jolida with a alps blue I have really tamed the honkiness and smooth the high end. I will eventaully get them but right now I am not in a big hurry. I have really been enjoying listening to them in my second system.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
I have herd that honk you are talking about.

Window shoppin' eBay now, looking for room for it.....standby  8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline FiKe

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »
Room thats another subject in all this. I bought two packages of 4 by 2 by 4 Roxwul enough to make 16 of said dimensions
bass traps and the wood frames with walmart fabric plus I added about 200$ $ of cheap defusers from guitar center. Im just working from ear so I have along ways to go but one day I will maybe sit in my chair and be really pleased with my shit.

FiKe

Offline FiKe

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:09 PM »
I would love to learn more about the rooms we listen to our music in.

FiKe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com