Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SLA Charging troubles  (Read 3060 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
SLA Charging troubles
« on: May 20, 2004, 02:14:25 AM »
Just got a "smart" charger a week or so ago and i have a 12v 7.2ah SLA that will not move from fast charge to float(multiple 72+hr charges, works fine in the field).  I also just purchased 2 new 4.5ah SLA's and after a few hours of charging they went to float so i belive the charger is working.

Is my SLA broke?  Anyone ever seen this before?  

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
Re:SLA Charging troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:17:31 PM »
Check the voltage... It might have a shorted cell internally... The charger is looking for the voltage to rise to a particular voltage, if one of the cells is shorted it won't.  The device that you are plugging into it might not care that it is lower than it should be (i.e. ua-5 that will work from 6v - 12v)
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline fozzy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 07:57:24 PM »
nope, just checked, pushing ~14v (i got a crappy analog RS meter that 10 years old but fairly accurate)

ideas anyone, i'm at a loss

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 08:34:51 PM »
nope, just checked, pushing ~14v (i got a crappy analog RS meter that 10 years old but fairly accurate)

ideas anyone, i'm at a loss

14v from your charger or your sla?  i'm assuming it's from your charger.  what is your battery voltage, currently?

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline fozzy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 02:38:32 AM »
no the 14v was from the battery w/ charger completly disconnected.  Interesting enough after i put the meter I hooked it back up to charge 15 minutes later and it started out in float mode and has been floating for the past few hours.  weird.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 03:34:38 AM »
no the 14v was from the battery w/ charger completly disconnected.  Interesting enough after i put the meter I hooked it back up to charge 15 minutes later and it started out in float mode and has been floating for the past few hours.  weird.

fozzy;
sounds like the sla is fully (really fully) charged.  you may want to run it down just a tad before use.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 03:51:28 AM »
What is the float charging voltage?  Check the side of the batt, usually SLA's take 13.5 - 13.7 for float...  

Too high a float voltage and you slowly cook the battery... We have that problem with APC ups at work...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 09:34:13 AM »
float is not 13.5+. it should be much smaller than the voltage of the SLA to prevent cooking the battery cells.

I use a Powersonic float charger and this is what Powersonic says:
"Float chargers are designed to provide optimum life for batteries used in standby applications where charging is continuous. The chargers deliver a constant voltage of 2.25 to 2.30 volts per cell which allows the battery to seek its own current level and maintain itself in a fully charged condition."

the water's clean and innocent

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 01:00:31 PM »
float is not 13.5+. it should be much smaller than the voltage of the SLA to prevent cooking the battery cells.

I use a Powersonic float charger and this is what Powersonic says:
"Float chargers are designed to provide optimum life for batteries used in standby applications where charging is continuous. The chargers deliver a constant voltage of 2.25 to 2.30 volts per cell which allows the battery to seek its own current level and maintain itself in a fully charged condition."

For a 12v it is

6 cells  x 2.25 = 13.5
6 cells x 2.3 =  13.8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com