Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 88103 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
$234 for a sata hdd!?!?  how long ago was this?  doesn't even say ssd!

earlier this year. i remember he said he was going to request SSD upgrade but i dont see that in his comments

Here's how to DIY:
https://www.sounddevices.com/replacing-the-internal-hard-drive-in-722-and-744t-recorders/

Two important points:

Units produced before May 2009 used a parallel ATA (PATA/ IDE) interface and hard drive. The accessory product XL-SATA enables installation of SATA drives in these units.

NOTE: The 722 and 744T were designed specifically for use with mechanical hard drives. While solid-state drives can be used as replacements, Sound Devices does not guarantee that the unit will operate to specification with an SSD substituted for a mechanical drive. Results may vary.

The photos show an IDE drive being replaced.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
Even so you can get a 500gb Samsung ssd for cheap af these days!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #272 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:23 AM »
$234 for a sata hdd!?!? <snip>

Maybe it is Sound Devices branded? Their own branded/approved 32GB SD card is $50!
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
$234 for a sata hdd!?!? <snip>

Maybe it is Sound Devices branded? Their own branded/approved 32GB SD card is $50!
As long as you get a SSD from a reputable brand there should be no problem. SSD drives are much better
standardized than the utterly crappy SDXC cards which, by design, are turds. So, a SD branded SD card
is much more important than a SDXC branded/approved SSD.

Of course Sound Devices will stick to SSD models and brands they know well. But these units are much less chaotic.

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »
My apologies if this has been asked before, but is the line in on the MixPre 3 ii a true line in or just a padded down mic input?

Thanks.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
Looking to get the 10 II and trying to price out selling some gear and acquiring new.  I'm assuming 9v dvd batteries won't do the trick.  What's the best way to power this bad boy?  Rechargeable AA's or outside power?  It comes with a AA sled, right?  I'm only looking to run it for about 6 hours with 6 mics.

In my MixPre-6 II, I use the DC Power supply when mains power is available, but I always have the optional MX-L Mount with two fully charged XL-B3 batteries mounted.  Works very well with no worries for my multi-hour shoots.

I don’t think you’ll get 6 hours but it depends on how much you’ve plugged in and how many tracks you’re recording.  Someone with more experiences than I can advise..,

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
My apologies if this has been asked before, but is the line in on the MixPre 3 ii a true line in or just a padded down mic input?

Thanks.

Received this reply from Sound Devices:

“Thank you for contacting Sound Devices.  Due to the nature of the technology in the MixPre-6, when the inputs are set to LINE LEVEL, most of the pre-amp circuit is bypassed.  However, some of the same circuitry that is used at LINE LEVEL is also used at MIC LEVEL.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Danny Greenwald “
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
If wage agent doesn’t support 32bit files, how are people splitting the polywav?

I suppose one could use reaper and "explode multichannel audio into mono tracks" but is this the only way to do it?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:36:50 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
If wage agent doesn’t support 32bit files, how are people splitting the polywav?

I suppose one could use reaper and "explode multichannel audio into mono tracks" but is this the only way to do it?

I am using Audacity to export the tracks (as 32 bit float).  Could also normalize in Audacity and export as 24 bit fixed, I suppose.

Jeff

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »

I am using Audacity to export the tracks (as 32 bit float).  Could also normalize in Audacity and export as 24 bit fixed, I suppose.

Jeff

is it easy to split a 6 channel polywave into 3 stereo tracks using audacity?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »
I'm using iZotope rx and it's very easy.  Select and copy the 2 channels you want, then go to file > new from clipboard.

edit:  that said you would think they would update wave agent for 32bit support!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:21:03 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

I use Soundforge and it does a good job of showing each stereo track.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #282 on: November 16, 2019, 04:24:45 AM »
i also use soundforge and copy the tracks i want and paste into new 2 channel file
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2019, 08:20:27 AM »
I'm using iZotope rx and it's very easy.  Select and copy the 2 channels you want, then go to file > new from clipboard.

edit:  that said you would think they would update wave agent for 32bit support!

Great tip; thanks!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
This is in response to Paul Issacs' posting of the new Approved Media list for the MixPre series he mentioned here:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=190161.msg2316669#msg2316669

I had not seen that there is a MixPre approved media list now.  It is good to see that SD is testing more cards, and I'm sure all of the MixPre owners here will hope that list will continue to grow.

What the SD list is missing is specific model numbers.  This is important information to have, which you will find on approved media lists from audio recording manufacturers (see lists from Tascam and Zoom, for example).  The MixPre list has general product names, but those can be applied to different production lines sold in different markets, or revised manufacturing runs that may perform differently. 

SanDisk in particular is known for having different model number cards on the market that have the exact same "headline" marketing info on the label.  I did some searching, and I think the SanDisk card on the MixPre list is SDSDXVE-032G-GNCIN, but can I be sure of that?  When I am buying an "approved" card, I want it to be the exact model which was tested.  Without that information, customers may be rolling the dice a bit.  Some users here have been burnt in the past by this.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com