Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Double A batteries to power MT2496 (fun hack)  (Read 6695 times)

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Double A batteries to power MT2496 (fun hack)
« on: July 04, 2006, 01:25:48 AM »
Thanks to this post...  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=65610.0.  I bought and put together the Minty Boost kit.  A fun hack that only took about 20 minutes and some soldering skills.  The cost of the kit was about 25 total.  No more lugging around a Walmart 9v battery w/ a juice box.  ;D

Buy it here.  http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14&zenid=9632a6fa0b47e40a95bb1862ade4468d

Here are some pics.

also...someone wanted to see my dremel job on the MT so a SPDIF can fit.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:28:24 AM by mofrogeek »
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
Re: Double A batteries to power MT2496 (fun hack)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:15:51 AM »
what sort of tools do you need to make that happen?

the only thing I don't like about that is the connector sticking out of the mint box, but it'll work in a pinch I guess. 

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »
alls you need is soldering iron and 06/40 solder...radioshack about 11 bucks total.

The usb port sticking out of the back is very sturdy and I like it b/c it fully breaks down.

I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
how much to have one made for me :)

looks cool though, thanks for the heads up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:46:25 PM »
what kind a run times do you get from that?  I just picked up the new RH1 MD and it doesnt have an external AA like my RH10 does and this thing would be pretty sweet for doing a long show.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:01:35 PM »
Willndmb...im going to order 2 and if I dont totally destroy the first one Ill put the 2nd one together and send it to you for whatever it cost me.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 02:26:49 PM »
sounds fair to me
thank you
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »
I used to be pretty good at mod'ing playstations back in the day...and this looks to be way less compliated then that so it will be a piece of cake.  Now I just need to find my soldering iron.

I was thinking about putting it in something a little larger so the USB port wont be sticking out.  Who else makes a tin can?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline willndmb

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »
this one uses a firewire port but is inside a bigger case
http://www.chrisdiclerico.com/2004/10/24/ipod-altoids-battery-pack-v2

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 03:50:36 PM »
That might work.  I like the bigger case but need USB for my MD and using rechargable AAs would be save money over using 9Vs.  Looks like I need to go to Wal-Mart and check out their candy selection.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Howell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »
Mofrogeek -  Did you take the case apart at all to do the dremel job? 

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 12:01:26 PM »
what kind a run times do you get from that?  I just picked up the new RH1 MD and it doesnt have an external AA like my RH10 does and this thing would be pretty sweet for doing a long show.

This very cool kit seems to output up to 200 milliamperes at 5 volts.  So some higher power devices (like Microtrack deck especially with internal battery still charging) are not going to work very well, and/or very long. 

Suggest using highest capacity 2500+ma capacity NiMH AA cells over regular alkaline, or maybe try newer 'OXY' type alkaline from Sony or Panasonic for longest possible operating times.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 12:45:15 PM »

This very cool kit seems to output up to 200 milliamperes at 5 volts.  So some higher power devices (like Microtrack deck especially with internal battery still charging) are not going to work very well, and/or very long. 

Suggest using highest capacity 2500+ma capacity NiMH AA cells over regular alkaline, or maybe try newer 'OXY' type alkaline from Sony or Panasonic for longest possible operating times.

I was going to put some Monster 2300mAh NIMH rechargables in there.  perhaps I could find a lithium cell to put in there.  Does a MT consume more juice then the MD does?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:45 PM »

I was going to put some Monster 2300mAh NIMH rechargables in there.  perhaps I could find a lithium cell to put in there.  Does a MT consume more juice then the MD does?

Quite a bit more; likely 2-4x more than MD. 

Measured 6 C alkaline battery milliamperes power draw from external BC-MT power sled connected to Microtrack with and without the battery charging and posted the chart of the results at near bottom of page: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

Actual current going into Microtrack deck's 5 volt USB connection is more or less same as measured pack battery drain as BC-MT USB input.  BC-MT internal switching voltage converter is 75-95% efficient depending on capacity remaining in the sled's 6 C cells. 

Chart is based on near full capacity (9 volt max) sled batteries, and switching regulator is bucking 9 volts) down to needed 5 volts, so measured draw LESS than what deck is drawing by ~20-30%.    So if chart says sled battery draw is 200 milliamperes, likely deck is needing ~300 milliamperes at 5 volts USB input to operate

If I made chart of sled battery draw when alkaline sled batteries were near end (4.8 volts; batteries at nearly half rated voltage), then converter is less efficient and slightly boosting battery voltage to needed 5 volts, and measured current would be higher than actual current draw of MT deck.

Bottom line is MT deck is going to draw at least ~225 milliamperes with already fully charged internal battery (minimum current draw for deck to operate), so 2 AA cell boost converter kit seems not a good fit.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline willndmb

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:13 PM »
Willndmb...im going to order 2 and if I dont totally destroy the first one Ill put the 2nd one together and send it to you for whatever it cost me.
thanks for the offer however the MT came with a usb batt box
so i am all set
+t for the offer though and good luck to you

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.165 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com