Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Patching with V3  (Read 3031 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Patching with V3
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »
I am investing in patching equipment and was wondering if it you notice a big difference going through your V3 or bypassing and just going straight into a recorder like the MTII (what I have). I used mine for patching for the first time and was impressed. The only thing I had a problem with was the signal coming off the board was really hot, so I bought a pair of 3way inline XLR attenuators. Next I am planning on buying a pair of male 1/4 to male XLR adapters and am thinking about also getting male RCA to male XLR adapters. Your advice and suggestions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:03:24 PM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Patching with V3
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »
Depends on whether you are getting a digital or analog feed. With a digital feed - virtually no difference. With an analog feed the V3 A/D is superior to the MT - I have not tried the MTII - but my guess is that the A/D was not improved from the MT. A cheaper alternative might be to look at a superior A/D box - As so many have gone to all in ones - they seem to be dropping in price quicker than the V3.. maybe an AD2K or Mytek or even the minime or miniMP as both have better (IMO) A/Ds than the V3.

Jeff
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:55:04 PM »
If you know your going to be grabbing a board feed with the V3, you could switch the internal attenuator jumpers to professional which buys you about 20db of attenuation...that would help alleviate a hot signal from the sbd. Otherwise I have yet to plug into a board where the soundguy couldn't lower the levels at the board, I'm sure there are some boards that don't have that option, but most of the time they should be able to help you out.

I've never used just the mt for a patch, but have used my D8 dat recorder a few times...and I've preferred the V3 or even my w+ ua5 in front. That said, board feeds can be such a crapshoot as to what is in the mix and how much, that which A/D you use is the usually the least significant part in the overall sound.

Before buying just an external A/D, I would think about something like a HD-P2 (or Edirol R44 when it comes out)for the board feed that you could send a wordclock from the V3, that way you could still run your mics>V3>MTII (or R44), plus sbd>HD-P2(or R44) and you would have the option of an easy matrix in post.

1/4>XLR & RCA>XLR's are a good thing to have though, you'll have most of your bases covered...the most common you'll run into are XLR or RCA outs from a board.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »
like Busterr said, there are internal (-15 dB I think) jumpers that will allow you to take a hotter signal into the V3. Check the manual for how to adjust them.

If you plan to use the 15 dB pads frequently, I believe you can also have Grace mod your V3 with switches that will control the jumpers so you don't have to pull the cover off every time.

Happy taping,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
will only patch part of the time. So the pair of inline attenuators that I just purchased should work just fine for handling hot board feeds.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Just me but, I would rather use the internal attenuator.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »
how hard is it to switch the internal attenuator?

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »

very easy.  just pop the top and pull two jumpers and move them over just a little bit.  i do it all the time.  was going to contact grace to see fi they could make me a switch like the M/S mod switch.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

very easy.  just pop the top and pull two jumpers and move them over just a little bit.  i do it all the time.  was going to contact grace to see fi they could make me a switch like the M/S mod switch.

I'd like to hear if that's possible too.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »

I'd like to hear if that's possible too.

I am almost positive they can do it for you, I was considering this a while ago and contacted Grace, they said it would be possible but I never got around to it b/c I hardly ever tape off the SBD.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:49:05 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
I change the jumpers daily on the v3.. Real easy!

The pad is -20db for sure..

You can change many things in there.. HP active or passive, Power 6 or 12v. take out the 48v. power.. If you go from the board you definately want to do that as it makes for a better line level impedance match...

But it is easy! Look in the manual.. It takes 2 secs to change the pad = two jumpers per channel... Circled red below

The Phantom power is circled in Blue Just leave the jumpers on one pin for each in the circuit when using in line in!

I circled the Power input in green..

The HP filter options are un circled but dominate the whole center of the picture. You have lots of flexibility here... definitely read the manual to understand the whole lay out.. Active gives you -12db/octave adn passive gives you 6db/O

High and low controls the selection of 100/50hz Q for the low settings and 125/75hz for the high settings...

Here: http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v3_manual_RevE_online.pdf

here is the image of the jumpers:

A :-)
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com