Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cables - Thoughts?  (Read 11245 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Cables - Thoughts?
« on: April 03, 2003, 09:06:46 AM »
Alright, so I am currently running a set of canare starquad's with neutrik connectors for my rig:

391(3)'s->B-18->AT CP8201->Mod SBM-1->D100

I am considering upgrading to a set of audio magic xstream cables for the run from the mic's to the power supply.  My initial intent would be to continue to use my 1' XLR->RCA Canare cables for the transformer to SBM run.

My question is on opinions as to whether I would see any noticeable difference in using the Audio Magic.

Thoughts?

Nick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:Cables - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 09:48:10 AM »
I would not spend the extra money on the Audio Magics with that rig.  I would upgrade the mics or purchase a preamp before spending the cash on a set of "fancy" cables.  You most likely would not notice a difference with those mics capturing the signal.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 09:51:41 AM »
I would not spend the extra money on the Audio Magics with that rig.  I would upgrade the mics or purchase a preamp before spending the cash on a set of "fancy" cables.  You most likely would not notice a difference with those mics capturing the signal.

That was my thought as well, but as always curiosity got the best of me.....thanks.

Nick

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 11:31:35 AM »
Agreed.  And if you are going to get better cables anyways Id suggest not going with audio magics.  I bought the Excallibur II's when I had my rig and they were certainly well made cables, but definately not worth what I had to pay for them.

Jonny

Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 03:09:06 PM »
Yeah I ran Canare's for a long time (with my 391'z no less), they are really nice cables. Spend the money elsewhere! I have run a rig for 4 years now and am just now spending money on nice cables to go with my new mic(s). Put the cable money in other portions of your rig for now.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 03:18:04 PM »
Yeah I ran Canare's for a long time (with my 391'z no less), they are really nice cables. Spend the money elsewhere! I have run a rig for 4 years now and am just now spending money on nice cables to go with my new mic(s). Put the cable money in other portions of your rig for now.

Thanks for the feedback Tim...Truth be told, after running a Sax with my rig last weekend, I definitely think that is my next addition....but with me getting married later this year...well, lets just say it would have been easier to slide cable money through right now than pre-amp money... ;D

Good advice though....as I said earlier, my curiosity gets the best of me in most cases!

Nick

Tim

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 06:15:04 PM »
I am buying as much gear as I can while I am still single  ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 06:37:11 PM »
I am buying as much gear as I can while I am still single  ;D

right idea....I wish I heeded that advice earlier!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 07:52:27 PM »
I like my purple audio magic cables, and chicks dig them too?  ;)
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 08:48:03 PM »
yah the day a chick digs any of my spending on audio gear is the day i marry her.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 09:09:24 PM »
yah the day a chick digs any of my spending on audio gear is the day i marry her.

Oh she is ok with it....just in times of layoffs and weddings and honeymoons to pay off...we lets just say that it isn't easy....but yes, she digs it...which is partly why I am marrying her!

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 01:17:42 PM »
My question is on opinions as to whether I would see any noticeable difference in using the Audio Magic.

Actually, I HAVE noticed a difference between AM cables. I did a home-test a while back when I first got my new pair of interconnects. I compared ONLY the interconnects (beacuse I did'nt have the 15's yet) and found out that my new pair (Presto II's) sounded a lot better than my old ones (X-Steam's). It's kind of hard to describe the difference, but the Presto's where more fuller/clearer/in-your-face sounding, IMHO. It was kind of like the X-Streams were a generation lower in quality, if that makes any sense. I have yet to compare my new 15's and don't feel I need to because the interconnect test told enough. With that said, I do agree that your cables should be one of the last things you should upgrade in your rig but whether you like it or not, CABLES DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! If you can afford 'em, sport 'em!   ;D

Kevin

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 01:22:05 PM »
Kevin,

I agree that good cables do make a difference, however id say put your money in your pre, ad mics and deck before you work on cables.  that being said you can get some really nice 15' BLUE cables for 40-50 bucks a cable... they are wonderfully made cables.  You shouldn't use crap in the meantime, however its not neccesary to start with 800 dollar cables.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 04:47:43 PM »
One pair of cables that I am saving my $$$ for are those Zaoella cables.  I bought a pair of the XLR interconnects and they are incredible!  Great detail and especially clarity; scary sometimes.  The 15 foot mic cables look awfully nice.....
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2003, 06:13:05 PM »
Also don't forget to break your cables in. Its a good idea to hook them up to a amp and run them them for a couple of days to break them in.  I have read on some of the audiophile sites cables take about 100 hours to break in.  see attached.
http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/BreakinRealorImagined.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com