Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D Firmware Update Requests  (Read 25145 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-70D FAQ / RECOMMENDED SETTINGS
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »
My input on the current issue is that etiquette should cause people, including those that are responding to this current subject, to go to the general thread and post there.  However, if the OP wanted the FAQ to remain 'clean' or a static thing then it could have been a locked thread...OP can unlock to add information as necessary.  Otherwise, the FAQ gets updated in the OP announce the way he has been, so is it a big deal if people post onto the thread?

That said, a potential solution would be to start yet another NEW thread which includes only the up-to-date FAQ and lock it.  Then rename this thread something like 'suggested inputs to DR70D FAQ'.  Or something like that.
I will do whatever most of you people want to do.  I now wish I had locked the thread upon creation, honestly.  As an owner of this unit, it is getting a bit confusing to have discussion in both this and the other thread.  I'll shamefully admit that I forgot I could lock threads - I only ever do that for the Yard Sale.

I did send a request to Brian S to see if the threads could be merged as suggested here.  If that doesn't work out I'll either do one of two things:
A. Create a new locked FAQ thread as Tonedeaf suggests, but then I lock / kill this thread.  People can then PM update requests.
B. Keep this thread, but lock it.  Again, update requests via PM.

Any preference from the community?  It amazes me how much discussion is taking place on this unit given how new it is!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »
My input on the current issue is that etiquette should cause people, including those that are responding to this current subject, to go to the general thread and post there.  However, if the OP wanted the FAQ to remain 'clean' or a static thing then it could have been a locked thread...OP can unlock to add information as necessary.  Otherwise, the FAQ gets updated in the OP announce the way he has been, so is it a big deal if people post onto the thread?

That said, a potential solution would be to start yet another NEW thread which includes only the up-to-date FAQ and lock it.  Then rename this thread something like 'suggested inputs to DR70D FAQ'.  Or something like that.
I will do whatever most of you people want to do.  I now wish I had locked the thread upon creation, honestly.  As an owner of this unit, it is getting a bit confusing to have discussion in both this and the other thread.  I'll shamefully admit that I forgot I could lock threads - I only ever do that for the Yard Sale.

I did send a request to Brian S to see if the threads could be merged as suggested here.  If that doesn't work out I'll either do one of two things:
A. Create a new locked FAQ thread as Tonedeaf suggests, but then I lock / kill this thread.  People can then PM update requests.
B. Keep this thread, but lock it.  Again, update requests via PM.

Any preference from the community?  It amazes me how much discussion is taking place on this unit given how new it is!

I would create a new locked FAQ thread and keep this one open but rename/repurpose it to a Firmware wishlist thread.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2015, 12:24:29 AM »
For those who haven't noticed, the Petrol bag listed on page 1 is stupidly priced at B&H - $79.99.  That is about $200 less than typical - it is $279 at Full Compass.  I don't know if it is being clearanced as some vendors don't have them, but I suspect, as a Petrol, it may be a pretty good bag for this unit and appears to have adequate extra space for necessities.  Just saying (I've already ordered one, shipping is free). ;D
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline voltronic

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2015, 06:06:07 AM »
For those who haven't noticed, the Petrol bag listed on page 1 is stupidly priced at B&H - $79.99.  That is about $200 less than typical - it is $279 at Full Compass.  I don't know if it is being clearanced as some vendors don't have them, but I suspect, as a Petrol, it may be a pretty good bag for this unit and appears to have adequate extra space for necessities.  Just saying (I've already ordered one, shipping is free). ;D
I'm strongly considering getting one, but as I posted in the Gear Bag Photos thread I'm concerned about how it would work out with the top not fully closing and just having the clear flap.

I would also want my 2 pairs of 25' mic cables to fit in one of those side compartments, otherwise I'm going to keep my current Amazon bag and add a small accessory bag to hold the cables. 

Please post some photos with the 70D in Rig Pictures when you get it and let us know how it works.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
Not sure if this can be done in a firmware update, but it would be great if the gain knobs could be used to adjust the playback volume of individual tracks when listening back to a file.

I'm not sure if it's problemmatic to the above, but the volume control on the headphone monitor isn't from the front knobs...it's from the pot on the side which seems like it's probably analog.     

Nevertheless...and if you don't mind me stacking a couple of requests on top of yours.

The output monitoring capability of any four channel recorder should IMHO allow for monitoring individual channels.  To me, this MIX function is fairly useless without the ability to monitor individual channels.  What I'd like is menu selectability that allows any single channel to be routed to any output (like the SD744).  I'd also like to send one channel to multiple output channels if I want to so that I can REALLY listen to a single channel if I'm having problems.  At the very minimum, as others have already mentioned, we should be able to monitor in stereo pairs...1 and 2 or 3 and 4 so that you can at least listen through one side of your headphones what you're getting from each channel.

In other words, any four channel recorder should IMHO have rudimentary output mixing capability.

I agree! The MIX is useless for any real monitoring! Its useful in that I can make sure all 4 channels are recording, but that's it! At the very least, Id like to monitor 1/2 and 3/4 separately in stereo channels!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2015, 09:40:53 AM »
I'm strongly considering getting one, but as I posted in the Gear Bag Photos thread I'm concerned about how it would work out with the top not fully closing and just having the clear flap.

I would also want my 2 pairs of 25' mic cables to fit in one of those side compartments, otherwise I'm going to keep my current Amazon bag and add a small accessory bag to hold the cables. 

Please post some photos with the 70D in Rig Pictures when you get it and let us know how it works.

Happy to do so.  For the price, I was willing to take the gamble.  I rarely do outside shows, so the lack of a weather secure top is less concerning to me (and I could always use one of my other bags if necessary).
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline voltronic

Re: Tascam DR-70D Firmware Update Requests
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »
New FAQ is here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172795.0

Locking this thread so we can move discussion to the discussion thread.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com