Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69002 times)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
That's interesting...maybe the external router provides you with an IP address? You can see that on the advanced wifi dialog on my version of Android. In the case of this recorder, it will not actually provide my phone with an IP address because of the behavior described in the stackexchange article.

I have an update: I did run the command referenced in that stackexchange article, and it did solve the issue entirely (even with my cellular data connection on).

I already had root access to my phone, which is a requirement for the mod. If you've got root access but are stuck on how to do this, let me know and I'll post the procedure I used.

I also intend to send something to Tascam support. I am hopeful that they can use my experience to update the firmware and/or app to deal with Android's behavior. On the app review page, I see lots of other people who can't connect the app to the recorder, and I am thinking this is why.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
I have only used iOS...no problems connecting

Thanks for hunting down this Android bug
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Man, I wish the DR70 had WiFi.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
OK, one more update to set the record straight: in my last post, I said that the command referenced in the stackexchange post worked. After doing some more testing, I have discovered that it didn't work for me. The post does have a response saying it doesn't work in Nougat, which is what I'm running. I think I may have had the cellular data off when I ran the command? Turning off cellular still does allow me to connect every time.

I did write to Tascam support describing my experience, but no reply yet. If I get a meaningful response, I'll post something here.

It's fun to finally be able to play around with this thing and use the remote feature. FYI, there is a recent firmware update (2.10) that adds an 'erase format function' that 'might improve write speeds'  :) and some fixes for the divide function and 'stability'. So far, it's been solid for me. Seems like they might have changed the UI/font since the last version? They posted a new reference manual at the same time, so it's a pretty substantial update.

My next testing will be to see what kind of battery life I will get with the WiFi on using NiMH batteries. I think I read in the manual or in this thread that it will shut down the Wifi if the battery gets low, but keep recording. I typically only check levels for the first couple of songs and then leave them alone. I guess I could turn off the WiFi by feel (the button feels much different than the rest).

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
New firmware release (2.11) out at http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/downloads/

Fixes in version 2.11
- During playback of certain MP3 files, searching/backward would cause the counter to change, but the playback sound would be from the beginning of the file. This has been fixed.
- The contents of folders with names that included certain characters could not be referenced. This has been fixed.
- If an unformatted card was loaded into the unit while its power was on, when the "Format Error/Format Card Are you sure?" message appeared, an execution button to allow formatting did not appear on the display. This has been fixed.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »
Lockdown gives plenty of opportunities to heave out old stuff and try to find a use for it.  In the case of my DR-22WL which hadn't seen the light of day for, er, several years, I've come up with a neat use (well, it works for me).

I've got the recorder connected to an amp line output in my man cave.  That amp has inputs from all sorts of sources including my PC and a chromecast audio integrated with whole-house audio and a digital radio, etc etc.  I've got the output connected to a spare input on the amp. I've connected the recorder to the network adapter about a foot away, a good strong signal.  Now using my phone (or other Android or iOS device) I can fire up the Tascam app from anywhere in the house, and whatever I'm hearing I can recordon the DR-22WL.  Then I can stream the recording back to the phone which can be hooked up to the lounge amp by bluetooth.  The same phone can remote control sources from the elsewhere in the house (by other apps) eg turn on the digital radio and select desired station.

Will I use this facility much?  Well, probably not but it's fun and it's there if required.  The recorder is powered via USB (from a desk lamp as it happens) and it seems to hold the wireless connection to the access point indefinitely.  It might as well just sit there on a corner of my desk ready to record at any moment than sit unused in a drawer.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »
Lockdown gives plenty of opportunities to heave out old stuff and try to find a use for it.  In the case of my DR-22WL which hadn't seen the light of day for, er, several years, I've come up with a neat use (well, it works for me).

I've got the recorder connected to an amp line output in my man cave.  That amp has inputs from all sorts of sources including my PC and a chromecast audio integrated with whole-house audio and a digital radio, etc etc.  I've got the output connected to a spare input on the amp. I've connected the recorder to the network adapter about a foot away, a good strong signal.  Now using my phone (or other Android or iOS device) I can fire up the Tascam app from anywhere in the house, and whatever I'm hearing I can recordon the DR-22WL.  Then I can stream the recording back to the phone which can be hooked up to the lounge amp by bluetooth.  The same phone can remote control sources from the elsewhere in the house (by other apps) eg turn on the digital radio and select desired station.

Will I use this facility much?  Well, probably not but it's fun and it's there if required.  The recorder is powered via USB (from a desk lamp as it happens) and it seems to hold the wireless connection to the access point indefinitely.  It might as well just sit there on a corner of my desk ready to record at any moment than sit unused in a drawer.

Imagine showing this post to someone in 2000. What a world!
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:23 AM »
Indeed.  "We had all that technology - and we were brought to our knees by a tiny virus".

Actually, your comment reminds me obliquely of the occasion back in the 1990's when I was asked to go to Yehudi Menuhin's house in London to record him talking about his early days recording violin music.  He related how playing back the wax disc to check the sound balance would destroy it due to the wear of the needle, so they used to have to hope that there were no wrong notes in the final recorded performance as they couldn't listen to it afterwards.  He also described travelling across the USA as a child prodigy and their car being shot up by hoodlums along the way.  As I packed up my gear I remarked to him that it was quite something to record those memories of the early days of sound recording, using a modern portable DAT machine.  And of course, that's olde worlde itself now.  Time flies.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2021, 08:43:50 PM »
Picked up one of these earlier in the year on Amazon, seemed like a deal for ~100 USD with an app that can operate the recorder. I'm actually a little late to the party, it seems like this would have been good for low profile taping. Only problem is I used it 3 times and really think it's cumbersome. I love the idea of the app but in reality it's almost even more conspicuous than just taking out and looking at the recorder because of my iphone screen. Even at low brightness I feel like it's pretty obvious. I also had a 50/50 chance of the app working or not. A couple times it worked no problem but the other times it would freeze up during recording. It didn't lose recordings when it happened but still frustrating to deal with in the moment. The battery life is also poor, I'm guessing because of the wifi app. I used brand new AAs each time and by 30-40 minutes the battery was down to 2/3, not really ideal for low profile taping when you don't want to be changing batteries a bunch. Great concept, but I think I'll just be sticking to my DR-2D.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com